Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill's Best  (Read 9169 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Bill's Best
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 10:46:34 PM »
It deserves a revival
It really doesn't.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 11:37:33 PM »
I love it personally, but it's a very slight and repetitive game. I loved it as the end game on Get the Picture, and I think you could do something with it as an end game to Concentration. I just don't think rounds of that straight through can carry a show. Additionally I don't think there's a host that would be able to play up the humor angle without hitting us over the head with it.

As long as Sunday Funday isn't including Go I think Eye Guess should ride the pine.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2016, 02:24:21 AM »
I love it personally, but it's a very slight and repetitive game. I loved it as the end game on Get the Picture, and I think you could do something with it as an end game to Concentration. I just don't think rounds of that straight through can carry a show. Additionally I don't think there's a host that would be able to play up the humor angle without hitting us over the head with it.

As long as Sunday Funday isn't including Go I think Eye Guess should ride the pine.

Fair points.

I would be more afraid of the show turning out like the attempted Concentration clone that Stewart mounted with Henry Polic II.

I think it could be doable but so much has to be right about it that I would wonder if the effort would be worth it.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2016, 03:27:34 AM »
Honestly, I think Eye Guess would be a wonderful game for Jimmy Fallon to take on. Lots of laughs to be had there.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2016, 03:42:39 AM »
Because it would last one segment and not an entire show.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2016, 05:42:17 AM »
Nickelodeon's Think Fast also had a game quite similar to Eye Guess. Also, there was Art James' Matches and Mates, which was basically the same game with more answers, only you weren't shown where the answers were in advance, and there was a Hangman element too where you had to solve a word. I would tend to agree with Travis only because Bill Cullen made the game fun to watch, but there was some humor in picking the wrong answers even without Bill having to make a comment to make it even funnier. I would give the game a chance with the right host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2016, 11:35:28 AM »
I think the show could work on GSN, but it would need more than just the "memorize eight words, then recall their positions".

That could be one round, then have a round where the contestants watch a music video or TV/movie clip. After the clip, the host asks a few questions about little things in the clip; not dialogue, but stuff like "What color was the detective's hat?" Same could be done with showing a picture for a few seconds.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2016, 02:16:17 PM »
After the clip, the host asks a few questions about little things in the clip; not dialogue, but stuff like "What color was the detective's hat?"

And then they could play the Triple Crown for TEN-THOUSAND DOLLARS IN CASH!!!111!!ELEVEN
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 11:53:04 PM »
I think the show could work on GSN, but it would need more than just the "memorize eight words, then recall their positions".

That could be one round, then have a round where the contestants watch a music video or TV/movie clip. After the clip, the host asks a few questions about little things in the clip; not dialogue, but stuff like "What color was the detective's hat?" Same could be done with showing a picture for a few seconds.

There were a couple of Canadian shows that had that kind of format - I Saw That, which was syndicated from 1973-75 (taped at Hamilton's CHCH), and Eye Bet in 1972-73, seen on CTV and hosted by Jim Perry.  Unfortunately not much seems to exist of either show, although I know of someone who has an episode of the former.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Fedya

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2016, 08:02:56 AM »
So now we're back to Hit Man.

Seriously, I've long thought something with the Hit Man conceit of having to answer questions about a video presentation you've just seen (minus the video game stuff) would have been just as good for the E/I requirement as any of the crap that actually does get it.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chrisholland03

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »
I'm going against the curve and opining that Bill at his worst was Hot Potato and The Joker's Wild.  Cullen appeared lost and out of his element in both shows.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 03:03:45 PM »
He was also oldest and at his least healthy.
Travis L. Eberle

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 10:09:00 PM »
Oh, if only this still existed - https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=993701467334069&id=189359747768249&substory_index=0.

This remains one of my Holy Grails.  I have descriptions for even more shows than that on my website, which I will be relocating shortly.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.