Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Daily syndicated game shows that aired only on weekends  (Read 8146 times)

johnnya2k3

Daily syndicated game shows that aired only on weekends
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:53:24 AM »
Until the late '70s, there were nighttime editions of TPIR, Hollywood Squares, LMAD, Name That Tune, and Match Game that aired weekly, primarily as a lead-in to primetime.

However, there have been a few daily syndie game shows in which, due to scheduling commitments with other shows, have aired only on weekends.

One major example is the New TPIR with Doug Davidson; some markets including Fairbanks and Philadelphia opted to air it on weekends as opposed to weeknights. Like I said before, Fairbanks saw it Saturday and Sunday nights at 6:30 on KATN, and I think sister station KIMO in Anchorage (now KYUR) did the same.

And as I said in the uncleared syndie game shows in major markets thread, WXIA here in Atlanta had the $100,000 Name That Tune (Jim Lange) Saturday nights at 7:30 only. My guess is that they showed a winning episode from the week of shows they taped off the satellite and stockpiled all week, though they could've ran them late nights after David Letterman instead. After all, it was WXIA who three years earlier had the "You Asked For It" revival with Rich Little (also by Sandy Frank), which would be crushed by "PM Magazine" on WAGA as well as a brand new show over on WSB: "Entertainment Tonight", which they still air at 7:30 to this day.

Anyway...were there any others like these that never aired weekdays but had to wait till the weekends for?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:13:27 PM by johnnya2k3 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Daily syndicated game shows that aired only on weekends
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:43:09 AM »
Wasn't Let's Ask America on that type of schedule in some of its markets, and Celebrity Name Game as well?

For some reason the only show coming immediately to mind is the short-lived sports quizzer Grandstand and I'm not sure if that was actually a weekly show.

I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Allstar87

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:17:04 AM »
Wasn't Let's Ask America on that type of schedule in some of its markets, and Celebrity Name Game as well?

Correct on both counts. :)

Not sure how many stations do this, but WDCW has Celebrity Name Game on weekdays AND weekends. One episode each weekday, then one of those five reruns on Saturday.

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
(according to Zach Horan)

It was at this point I lost interest in your post.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 10:13:38 AM »

Not sure how many stations do this, but WDCW has Celebrity Name Game on weekdays AND weekends. One episode each weekday, then one of those five reruns on Saturday.

Philadelphia's WPHL airs the week's CNG episodes on Thursday and Friday nights at 8/8:30pm and again sometime on the weekend, usually Saturday at 6pm.  They pre-empt the MyTV schedule during those relevant hours and air them during the overnight 2am hour instead.  It's a very strange scheduling decision.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
It was at this point I lost interest in your post.

johnnya2k3

This was mine.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »
WGNT airs two episodes daily, then an hour of episodes on Saturdays. Not sure if the Saturday episodes are reruns from earlier in the week though.

Davidson's TPiR aired on Saturdays in Dallas, I believe on KXAS. I don't think it aired every single week, going off what I remember reading in the TV listings way back when.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 09:35:37 PM »

WPIX was doing this but with one episode per weekday and I wanna say two on Saturday.

Apparently they're still doing this since they picked up the double run.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:39:52 PM »
The weekend duo of episodes are generally the Monday and Tuesday shows from the primary run, but they're re-pitched to stations with an alternate airdate later in the week.  It's a separate pitch through Pathfire (the digital distribution service we get Celebrity Name Game through). 

For example, this past week:
(Primary/Secondary)
Monday: 1103 / 1042
Tuesday: 1064 / 1032
Wednesday: 1068 / 1172
Thursday: 1140 / 1049
Friday: 1177 / 1161
Weekend 1: 1103
Weekend 2: 1064

(An aside: Celebrity Name Game has been rerunning first season episodes in both runs since the first week of March, and resumes first run episodes next week with five shows, and in fact, by early May three shows produced for the third season will have already aired as well, two in the secondary and one in the primary)

1103 and 1064 are this week's Monday and Tuesday shows in the primary run, so those are the weekend shows provided to stations. That's basically the case weekly.

We broadcast the weekday run from 3-4pm ET on weekdays, while the weekend episodes are used as floating daytime programming through the weekend. Sometimes at 1p, sometimes at 5, sometimes both on the same day, and at others on different days.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 10:21:51 PM »
Thanks Chelsea - For an ignoramus like me, that's a fascinating glimpse into your world. 

Can you share with us the airdate schedule plans for CNG beyond April?  I'm surprised they're airing S3 eps already.  Only 100 eps of season 2 have aired so far, and it's already April!

trainman

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 11:00:41 PM »
WPXI in Pittsburgh ran "Pictionary" on weekends only, in floating time slots. Usually not all five episodes. I think they just went in order (e.g., in a weekend with 3 time slots available, they'd show the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday episodes).
trainman is a man of trains

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 02:07:08 AM »
CNG in New York has been moved more times than any other show than I can remember on its short run. It started out at 7:30, moved to 6:30, then to 9 AM, and apparently the station didn't like it there because now they have it at 4:00 in the afternoon.

BillCullen1

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 08:26:54 AM »
In NYC, Peter Tomarken's Wipeout aired late nights on the weekends on the CBS affiliate in the late 80s.. More recently, the Monopoly Millionaires Club  has aired on weekends on WPIX TV.

snowpeck

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
In NYC, Peter Tomarken's Wipeout aired late nights on the weekends on the CBS affiliate in the late 80s.. More recently, the Monopoly Millionaires Club  has aired on weekends on WPIX TV.
MMC doesn't qualify for this discussion. It was a weekly show everywhere.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Winkfan

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »
In NYC, Peter Tomarken's Wipeout aired late nights on the weekends on the CBS affiliate in the late 80s...

It was the same in the LA area; Wipeout aired late night on Friday nights/Saturday mornings.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)