Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Netflix To Launch First Original Game Show  (Read 7663 times)

DoItRockapella

Netflix To Launch First Original Game Show
« on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »
http://deadline.com/2016/05/netflix-ultimate-beastmaster-sylvester-stallone-competition-reality-series-1201751580/

I'm sure a lot can be written about Netflix finally trying its hand at the genre, but the show itself sounds like an incredibly blatant Ninja Warrior clone. Also not helping: the host is apparently Terry Crews.

Still, who knows, maybe Netflix will try a more "traditional" studio game show at some point...

tvwxman

Re: Netflix To Launch First Original Game Show
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 01:15:40 PM »
How is this a game show?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
How is this a game show?

How is Beat the Clock a game show?
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:10:14 PM »
I did actually get my hopes up a little, but give it time. With more and more shows premiering via streaming, it's only a matter of time before a traditional "studio" game show comes out.

/There's always Password Minus on Youtube
//Kidding
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
I did actually get my hopes up a little, but give it time. With more and more shows premiering via streaming, it's only a matter of time before a traditional "studio" game show comes out.
As production companies move more toward the thirteen-weeks of episodes paradigm I can absolutely see something heading in that direction. Lots of the Food Network shows are on Netflix and Top Shot was for a while.

This was ten times funnier than the "line of the day" slurry over in the Grundy obit thread.
Travis L. Eberle

chad1m

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:51:56 PM »
This was ten times funnier than the "line of the day" slurry over in the Grundy obit thread.
Oh, get off it. That was a very clever take on a well-known aspect of his success.

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 07:28:07 PM »
Thinking about it now, comedies and dramas are a little easier to do without commercials, considering how premium cable set that model decades ago.

It would be interesting to see how a Netflix game show pulls off transitioning from one round/competition to another without the commercial break. I suppose you could simply have the host say "Edna wins the game and will be back to play for $20,000 in one moment!" (cue star wipe) "Annnnd we're back!"

Maybe segue the two by throwing in a fee plug or promo similar to what Wheel does when it talks about the Wheelmobile coming to your town soon...

ETA: I forgot Where in the World/Time is Carmen Sandiego used little musical segues...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »
Quote from: TLEberle

To be fair, I left the thread in the obit section alone.  If the mods are going to allow another thread on the Big Board, then that one is fair game. 
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 09:15:55 PM »
Oh, get off it. That was a very clever take on a well-known aspect of his success.

It was also incredibly disrespectful.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 09:46:16 PM »
It was also incredibly disrespectful.

I'm just going to make a note of this post because I think there's a pretty good chance I will be referring back to it at some point in the future.

(I'm with Chad; dude made a significant portion of his success off of rank plagarism. Lighten up, Franci.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 10:05:37 PM »
It would be interesting to see how a Netflix game show pulls off transitioning from one round/competition to another without the commercial break. I suppose you could simply have the host say "Edna wins the game and will be back to play for $20,000 in one moment!" (cue star wipe) "Annnnd we're back!"
To your point about musical segues, Only Connect makes use of them to link between the various rounds and the show fills the entire 30 minute news hole, so that would be a start if they weren't going to go the You Don't Know Jack route and have joke commercials for phony products or prompts to visit the Facebook page or how to send the show a tweet.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Re: Grundy: Nobody is arguing that point. I'm arguing the point of cracking jokes about a guy in the immediate aftermath of his death. Which, regardless of the person, is to me not cool. Nothing more or less.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:07 PM »
Re: Grundy: Nobody is arguing that point. I'm arguing the point of cracking jokes about a guy in the immediate aftermath of his death. Which, regardless of the person, is to me not cool. Nothing more or less.
It's their right to do it, and our right to comment upon it. Reg was somebody's son and deserves respect just for that. I would go so far to say that understand the thrust of the joke I would not have said it that soon after his death nor trotted out "Line of the Day" for it because (since one meme deserves another) "obvious joke is obvious," and I did indeed find Password Minus to be funnier.

My prediction would be that a Netflix Original Game Show would either be a season-long elimination contest, thirteen-episode tournament or something with standalone episodes rather than something where one episode leads to the next.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 10:21:49 PM »

If it's your Uncle Phil, sure, I get it. If it's a public figure who you know nothing about aside from seeing his name between the words "A" and "Production", then I stand with Uncle Hulka.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Unrealtor

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2016, 01:21:26 AM »
To your point about musical segues, Only Connect makes use of them to link between the various rounds and the show fills the entire 30 minute news hole, so that would be a start if they weren't going to go the You Don't Know Jack route and have joke commercials for phony products or prompts to visit the Facebook page or how to send the show a tweet.

A quick musical stinger and a wipe that more or less replicates the title card seems to be a fairly common thing during BBC shows.

On the other hand, you don't necessarily need to have stopdowns during the show. To go back to the BBC, Mastermind appears to be a single 28-minute take. Quite a few American shows back in the live-to-tape era seemed like they could have gone without breaks if they didn't need to allow for advertising. It's probably not a coincidence that every example I can think of straddles, so the production design and direction had to account for the fact that ad breaks didn't fall in the same points during every game.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."