Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whatever happened to ...  (Read 4904 times)

geno57

Whatever happened to ...
« on: July 06, 2016, 03:32:36 PM »
… ClassicSquares.com ???

It was THEE best collection of classic Hollywood Squares responses. I’m sure I have looked at it in the past year, but now it comes up as “Unable to find the server”.

Matt Ottinger

Re: Whatever happened to ...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 04:17:38 PM »
From Dixon Hayes on Facebook:

Fellow classic game show fans...

I've been getting more than a few questions lately about the fact that the Classic Hollywood Squares Site has gone dark. Yes, that's true. I was trying to balance my finances by cutting certain monthly expenses, so when a change in my debit card resulted in the money no longer being pulled from my account, I let the payment lapse.

The other reason is that the technology, based on the old, now-obsolete Geocities Webuilder, is woefully out of date. Links and sound files were starting to fail while entire episodes were showing up on Youtube (thus making them mostly unnecessary). I don't have the web building know-how to update the site to something more current that can work across the multiple platforms of the tablets and smart phones that didn't exist back in 2000 when I created the site. I felt the show, which still has, and always will have, a special place in my heart, deserved a better site and maybe someone will step up and make one. I will try to make some of my material available if I can find it, but a recent computer failure might make that more difficult.

But as time went on, the site, compared to others, just looked worse and worse. Again, the show and the great people who put it together deserved better.

Yes, I know the timing isn't that great, since "The Hollywood Squares" will celebrate the 50th anniversary of its October 1966 premiere later this year. If I can, I might resurrect it for awhile in time for that anniversary, but that's a big "if" and please don't overinterpret that as a promise.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 04:54:38 PM »
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

geno57

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 11:56:03 PM »
I get a calendar and a chart, but how would I find the old info? Thanks!

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 02:15:49 AM »
Click on any date that has a blue circle around it.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

calliaume

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 12:41:23 PM »
Yeah, Game Shows '75 is gone for many of the same reasons.  I was paying Yahoo (Geocities' successor) about $180 a year to maintain a site I really hadn't updated in over 10 years.  When my debit card number changed over, they pulled the plug, and I really don't have the time (or the backup material) to bring it back right now.  Maybe someday.

And it can also be found via Waybac - just search there for www.curtalliaume.com/gameshow.html.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 06:32:52 PM »
I recently discovered that billcullen.net no longer works to get to my tribute site, and that's probably because I changed credit cards and forgot to tell Yahoo.  All that was, however, was a redirect I think I was paying $15 a year for.  My sites are still up on the ACD servers, despite the fact that I no longer have an account with ACD.   I haven't checked to see if I'm able to update them, something I too haven't done in a while, but one of the benefits of dealing with a local company is that nobody there is particularly interested in checking or doing anything about them, so if I'm lucky, they might be there for a long, long time.  (Still, don't go to my root home page, or else you'll see the wrong link to THIS place!)

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/cullen/
http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/gshghp/
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

The Pyramids

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
Yeah, Game Shows '75 is gone for many of the same reasons.  I was paying Yahoo (Geocities' successor) about $180 a year to maintain a site I really hadn't updated in over 10 years.  When my debit card number changed over, they pulled the plug, and I really don't have the time (or the backup material) to bring it back right now.  Maybe someday.

And it can also be found via Waybac - just search there for www.curtalliaume.com/gameshow.html.

I really enjoyed Game Shows '75 when I stumbled onto it 14 years ago. It probably lead me to Classic Sqaures.com.