Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Newlywed Game 1988 Question  (Read 3557 times)

GSRebich

The Newlywed Game 1988 Question
« on: July 07, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »
During the 1988-89 season of The New Newlywed Game, which scoring system came first, money scoring or the point scoring?

BrandonFG

Re: The Newlywed Game 1988 Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 01:28:24 AM »
According to Wiki, the money format. They switched back to points upon Paul Rodriguez's first episode.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
According to Wiki, the money format. They switched back to points upon Paul Rodriguez's first episode.

I went back and watched the opening of this particular episode, which confirms that. If you look at the score readouts, at least in the footage they used to open the show, all four have dollar signs in front of them.

Boy was that new set ugly.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

chrisholland03

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »

I went back and watched the opening of this particular episode, which confirms that. If you look at the score readouts, at least in the footage they used to open the show, all four have dollar signs in front of them.

Which new set -- the Money format (yes) or the Rodriguez set (no)? 

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 04:57:06 AM »

Which new set -- the Money format (yes) or the Rodriguez set (no)? 

The latter.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

BillCullen1

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:10:57 PM »

Since this was brought up, was any reason given as to why Eubanks was replaced - in mid-season?

splinkynip

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:32:45 PM »
I believe I remember from his autobiography that he asked to leave because his old show "All Star Secrets" was being revived in syndication for the fall of 1989 as "Celebrity Secrets", which didn't make it to air anyway. Probably was also known that Newlywed and DatIng Game we're sinking in the ratings anyway and wouldn't be returning in the fall

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »
The monotonous theme song didn't help matters either.
--Mark
Phil 4:13