Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mastermind season premiere thoughts  (Read 2763 times)

JepMasta

Mastermind season premiere thoughts
« on: July 14, 2016, 01:37:56 AM »
So, I just got through the season premiere of Mastermind, here are a few of my takeaways

John Humphrys is as sharp a question reader as ever, though sometimes the questions were too verbose for their own good.

I like the new graphics this year, minimalist, but a bit more dramatic

A new wrinkle, the border surrounding the scoreboard on screen begins to turn blue when ten seconds remain in the round. This is good (since apparently it's some kind of sin for BBC to put, oh I don't know, A CLOCK on the screen...seriously it's 2016 is that too much to ask?). What isn't good is hearing an underscore version of "Approaching Menace" during those last ten seconds, which nearly drowned out John near the end.

All in all, It's Mastermind, and I like it.

Brian~

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Mastermind season premiere thoughts
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 01:41:26 AM »
A new wrinkle, the border surrounding the scoreboard on screen begins to turn blue when ten seconds remain in the round. This is good (since apparently it's some kind of sin for BBC to put, oh I don't know, A CLOCK on the screen...seriously it's 2016 is that too much to ask?).
Yes. Yes it is. The whole point of the atmosphere is that there's nothing but the host, the contestant, the score tracker and the chair. It's not Two-Minute Drill, and John Harrumphrys is not Kenny Mayne.

What isn't good is hearing an underscore version of "Approaching Menace" during those last ten seconds, which nearly drowned out John near the end.
Are they still using the awesome reorchestrated version that was commissioned in 2010?
Travis L. Eberle

JepMasta

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 01:43:50 AM »
Yes they are, the London Philharmonic deserve all the plaudits for making it sound even MORE dramatic and sinister.

Marc412

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 03:08:00 AM »
And as for the wordy questions, they're carefully written so that each contender will get an equal number of questions in each round, assuming they answer quickly.

Thunder

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 09:39:22 PM »
A new wrinkle, the border surrounding the scoreboard on screen begins to turn blue when ten seconds remain in the round. This is good (since apparently it's some kind of sin for BBC to put, oh I don't know, A CLOCK on the screen...seriously it's 2016 is that too much to ask?).
Yes. Yes it is. The whole point of the atmosphere is that there's nothing but the host, the contestant, the score tracker and the chair. It's not Two-Minute Drill, and John Harrumphrys is not Kenny Mayne.

Who put the sand in your traditionalist underwear today? Like the guy said, they made one change already and the world hasn't ended. Two nice analog clocks there wouldn't look half bad, you know?