Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newly...What?  (Read 2986 times)

Matt Ottinger

Newly...What?
« on: July 30, 2016, 07:42:37 PM »
Listening to Ask Me Another over the weekend, and their final round had players identifying things that contained either the letters OLD or the letters NEW in their names.  The puzzler asked the players to identify the classic game show where recently married people answered questions about each other, with sometimes naughty responses.  One player didn't know at all.  One player awkwardly attempted (and was not given credit for ) "Newlyweds", and the third was finally given reluctant credit for saying "The Newlyweds Game." (They don't run a super-tight ship.)  Demographically, the contestants on this show tend to be in their mid to late twenties.  Just struck me as interesting, though perfectly understandable, that the question turned out to be such a toughie, and much harder than the writer probably intended.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: Newly...What?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 09:49:38 PM »
One of the many things to criticize about it is that it started out being a moderately serious endeavor (going so far as to have Jeopardy winners on the show) that had a healthy dose of trivia and wordplay and has gone to more of the quote mark categories on Jeopardy and musical parody rounds, and it's become one of the podcasts where I'm least disappointed to find out that the newest episode is a rerun.
Travis L. Eberle

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 10:07:47 PM »
I listen if I'm in the car; I don't seek it out.  I've always found her grating.  And yes, it's Trivia for Dummies, but it's not like the Wait Wait material is exactly Mensa-worthy either.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

calliaume

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »
I didn't even know this show existed until I read this thread.  It's not on WBEZ in Chicago.

I should probably check for more radio game formats, but most of them seem to be current events quizzes here in the States and thus have a short shelf life (in the UK, Just a Minute has been on forever).  I had problems distinguishing the difference between Whad'Ya Know? and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, which have somewhat similar formats.  Generally stations run one or the other, but I didn't listen to the latter for years because I was confusing it with the former (I don't particularly like Michael Feldman, who had a short, unhappy tenure as an evening cohost on WGN).

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 03:08:29 PM »
I didn't even know this show existed until I read this thread.  It's not on WBEZ in Chicago.

I should probably check for more radio game formats, but most of them seem to be current events quizzes here in the States and thus have a short shelf life (in the UK, Just a Minute has been on forever).  I had problems distinguishing the difference between Whad'Ya Know? and Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me, which have somewhat similar formats.  Generally stations run one or the other, but I didn't listen to the latter for years because I was confusing it with the former (I don't particularly like Michael Feldman, who had a short, unhappy tenure as an evening cohost on WGN).

......well, "Whad'ya Know?" is done for, at least on terrestrial radio (Feldman will soon be rebooting WYK? as a podcast). The show's home network, Wisconsin Public Radio, has since replaced WYK? with AMA and another airing of "Says You", a show they've had on Sunday mornings for quite a while. I've only listened to bits of it since they put it on Saturdays, and I really should listen to it more, but I don't think it's too much of a news/current events quiz in the same vein as WYK? or "Wait, Wait".
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.