Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Syndication ratings first week  (Read 3746 times)

Chuck Sutton

Syndication ratings first week
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:40:03 AM »
Family Feud  Household rating  6.3 up 13% from last season premiere

Wheel of Fortune 5.7 - 2%

Jeopardy 5.4 -2%

Millionaire 1.6  +33%  the biggest percentage increase of any syndicated show.    Better than any week last season.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Syndication ratings first week
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 08:10:58 AM »
I like the increase in ratings for Millionaire but I can't help but take those numbers with a grain of salt. Because I think they should be significantly up from last year considering that so many stations elected to move the show to a far better time than before.

I would be more interested to see if they could get back above 2.0 like they were back in 2014-15.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 03:33:20 PM »
I like the increase in ratings for Millionaire but I can't help but take those numbers with a grain of salt.
Why does it need to be taken with anything? If the number represents how many people are watching the show, doesn't it mean that's how many people are watching? If that number goes up it stands to reason that either the time slots are better or people are rediscovering the daily version, or perhaps their friends are telling them about the new-old game play.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 09:56:26 PM »
The show was exiled to late night in many of its markets last year. The ratings dropped. The show got a lot of those old slots back. So of course the ratings are back up. And probably the biggest reason why. So it's fair to want to take them with grains of salt.

Why do you find that so bothersome?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »
The show was exiled to late night in many of its markets last year. The ratings dropped. The show got a lot of those old slots back. So of course the ratings are back up. And probably the biggest reason why. So it's fair to want to take them with grains of salt.

Why do you find that so bothersome?
I find it bothersome that you feel this need to qualify a thing that's qualified: obvious reason is obvious. More people are watching the show because reasons X Y and Z where at least one of them is "better time slots" and "moar markets." You're trying to explain away a thing that is manifestly clear to anyone with a functioning brain stem.

If you look more at this you're going to find the words "Paul is dead" in the ratings. This does explain your obstinacy in the conspiracy theories thread, too--you can't just accept that a thing is what it is and leave it at that, you have to kick the hornets nest.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 11:23:33 PM »
You're still on that, I see.

I make a statement about how I'm getting tired of all the wild ass speculation going on in this country about stupid things, IN THE ONE PLACE ON THIS FORUM DESIGNED FOR SOMEONE TO DO THAT, and it's a problem. A problem that only you appeared to have, by the way.

I make a statement about how while I think it's good that the ratings for Millionaire are up I can't help but not take the increase with much joy because of the time slot shuffles of the last two years and that the ratings are still not where they had been two or even three years ago when they could still draw ratings in the 2s. Nothing to get bent out of shape over, and yet you complain again.

Is this going to be an ongoing issue between the two of us? Because I'm not sure precisely what I did to you to get you so riled up.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 11:28:17 PM »
I'm not the one shouting through caps lock, so it's hard for me to be riled up. I'm not complaining, I'm pointing out a simple statement of fact, something that you routinely have difficulty with. As it happens, you also have difficulty with opinions (such as the Celebrity Name Game kerfuffle.)

There's a difference between "I can't take joy in" a thing and "must take it with a grain of salt."
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:44:28 PM »

I think all y'all need to hug it out.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »
I'm not complaining, I'm pointing out a simple statement of fact, something that you routinely have difficulty with.

That's not the tone I'm getting.

As it happens, you also have difficulty with opinions (such as the Celebrity Name Game kerfuffle.)

I don't have a problem with opinions, I have a problem with the reasoning for some of them. I also have an opinion about bringing stuff up from two years ago that has little if anything to do with the topic at hand.

But since we're already there, the kerfuffle as it was was over the notion that the still-broken CNG was better than Feud because of the latter's reliance on gross out humor. To me, that's not a well reasoned opinion. I'm sorry. You don't have to agree with my opinion just like I don't have to agree with yours.

There's a difference between "I can't take joy in" a thing and "must take it with a grain of salt."

Not in my opinion.

PYLdude

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »

I think all y'all need to hug it out.

Honestly, I agree. Because even though there's a squabble from time to time I like to think we're usually civil or close to it.

(Is this a first for Team Hell No on the GSF?)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 12:10:16 AM »
I would advise against hugging it out as I have been extremely gassy for about three days on the trot. Detente, however, is something I will happily accept.

/and then I turn around and trade it for what's in the.box on Jay's tray.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »
I would hope I didn't hug that hard. :)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 12:59:21 AM »
I feel compelled to ask this--what exactly would be a primo spot for Millionaire? My box can grab it any old time so nine in the morning or three in the afternoon don't matter, but back before TiVo I was most able to watch when it was on at 6pm, but it's never been overnight or some obnoxious time here in Seattle.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 02:26:45 AM »
I think, based on the actions of its syndicator, is that they appear not to look for a specific spot but a time frame in a lot of markets. Early on, that was the hour before the early local news. For most of the last thirteen years, I wanna say they've liked an early afternoon slot wherever they could find it. The ABC stations that air the show usually did so in the lunch hour until recently.

This is largely if not total speculation, but from time to time I like to check when something airs in other parts of the country outside of metro New York.