Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AV Club article on Nick Double Dare...  (Read 2936 times)

weaklink75

AV Club article on Nick Double Dare...
« on: November 21, 2016, 02:27:15 PM »
To promote the 30th Anniversary special that's airing on Nick at Nite this Wednesday..

http://www.avclub.com/article/it-smelled-death-oral-history-double-dare-obstacle-245939

Some things I've heard before, but a couple of new things (the shows budget the first set of shows was $10,000 an episode for one)

BrandonFG

Re: AV Club article on Nick Double Dare...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:38:06 PM »
When I first saw the $10K number, I wondered how that was doable, but Geoffrey Darby's explanation makes sense, considering the prizes didn't add up to that much, and the gunk was more or less bulk-sized grocery items.

Plus, I forgot it was a cable game show in 1986. :-P

Great reading...took me back to my childhood.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: AV Club article on Nick Double Dare...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
Watch some of those episodes from the first flight--I can absolutely see how they're working on a shoestring budget, but all the parts are there--and not every pair won the end game as well--there were more than a few who won a prize package of less than a thousand dollars. I remember watching and thinking that the Obstacle Course was a bit of a non-sequitur after the quiz round, but now it has become iconic.
Travis L. Eberle