Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Biggest game show stories of 2016?  (Read 3955 times)

johnnya2k3

Biggest game show stories of 2016?
« on: December 07, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
What were some of the biggest game show moments of 2016 as we're nearing its final weeks? Here are a few that come to mind:

The three-way, $1 Showcase Showdown tie on TPIR (the first time in history all of them spun a total of $1, not the exact amount)
Craig Ferguson's repeat Emmy for "Celebrity Name Game"...though it was not enough for the show to be renewed
The primetime reboots of "To Tell The Truth", "$100,000 Pyramid", and "Match Game" all on ABC with Anthony Anderson, Michael Strahan, and Alec Baldwin respectively
The passings of Joe Garagiola, (Sir) Terry Wogan, Fred Wostbrock, and Charlie Tuna
The end of "American Idol", while "The Voice" still has yet to produce a megastar

And somewhat game show-related, but the biggie...
Donald Trump, who once attached his name to a short-lived 1990 game show, elected 45th President of the United States!!!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 10:10:16 PM by johnnya2k3 »

Jay Temple

Re: Biggest game show stories of 2016?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 09:54:08 PM »
I'd go a bit further than just appearing in prime time. The fact that Pyramid, Match Game and To Tell the Truth all did well enough to get another season would have been big news even if they were on daytime.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

BillCullen1

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 10:11:33 PM »
I'd go a bit further than just appearing in prime time. The fact that Pyramid, Match Game and To Tell the Truth all did well enough to get another season would have been big news even if they were on daytime. 

Seconded

johnnya2k3

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:42:14 PM »
One more addition, and a sad one:

Jeopardy! contestant Cindy Stowell's amazing run; only Alex and the staff knew she had months to live, but the contestants were unaware of it.

But one thing was for certain: Just like Jerry Frankel, she fought till the end (Frankel died from AIDS two years after winning the inaugural Tournament of Champions).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:41:17 AM by johnnya2k3 »

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
Jeopardy! contestant Cindy Stowell's amazing run; only Alex and the staff knew she had days to live, but the contestants were unaware of it.

I know that you absolutely cannot wait to show the class how much you know, or in this case, how much you THINK you know.  Considering that she taped her episodes in August and September, and she passed away in December, she did not have "days to live". More like a few months after. Do your research before you make these comments.

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 06:51:40 PM »
I'm just glad he decided to explain who Jerry Frankel was.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Thunder

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 09:43:16 PM »
I know that you absolutely cannot wait to show the class how much you know, or in this case, how much you THINK you know.  Considering that she taped her episodes in August and September, and she passed away in December, she did not have "days to live". More like a few months after. Do your research before you make these comments.

Hey, be nice to him. You're going to make him leave the board for good. Again.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 10:49:04 PM »

Hey, be nice to him. You're going to make him leave the board for good. Again.

Wrong Johnny.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Thunder

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 11:47:01 PM »
Thanks. He's still in my Basket-O-Deplorables.

/Spellcheck tried to correct that to "Explodables".

//That would also have worked in the sentence.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 05:07:38 PM »
I'm just glad he decided to explain who Jerry Frankel was.

I'm sure he will, so he can show you how much he knows.