Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! contestant to air posthumously  (Read 2222 times)

chad1m

Jeopardy! contestant to air posthumously
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
A Jeopardy! contestant from Austin who will appear on the show on December 13th has died from colon cancer. Cindy Stowell competed on the program with a single goal: to donate her prize money to cancer-related organizations.

She reached out to Jeopardy! contestant producer Maggie Speak with this message:

"Do you have any idea how long it typically takes between an in person interview, and the taping date? I ask because I just found out that I don’t have too much longer to live. The doctor’s best guess is about 6 months. If there is the chance that I’d be able to still tape episodes of Jeopardy! if I were selected, I’d like to do that and donate any winnings to charities involved in cancer research. If it is unlikely that the turnaround time would be that quick, then I’d like to give up my try out spot to someone else."

Speak told her to attend her audition in Oklahoma City, and that if she qualified to compete on the show, she would be booked for a taping as soon as the show’s schedule would allow – three weeks later on August 31. When Cindy arrived to compete, only a select group of Jeopardy! staffers and Alex knew she was ill. Her opponents were unaware of her condition.

Full story: http://kxan.com/2016/12/07/upcoming-jeopardy-contestant-from-austin-dies-of-cancer/