Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: J! Clue values-time for a bump again?  (Read 7581 times)

SamJ93

J! Clue values-time for a bump again?
« on: February 04, 2017, 03:38:47 PM »
It's now been almost 16 years since they doubled the amounts to keep pace with inflation...which itself occured 16 years after the revival's premiere. Could it be time for another raise to, say, 250-500-750-1000-1250 in the first round and 500-1000-1500-2000-2500 in the second?

According to j-archive.com, the average winning score this season to date is $18,443. While I certainly wouldn't complain about winning that much, it does seem a tad low for a show that prides itself on being the toughest quiz on TV, especially considering Wheel contestants regularly win $20-30K with far less effort.

It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Kevin Prather

Re: J! Clue values-time for a bump again?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
I think they're fine where they are. Especially if the reason they eliminated ties was due to prize budget concerns (which was only speculation), I don't see them getting raised any time soon.

Nick

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 08:25:10 PM »
Perhaps someone more mathematically-inclined than myself could crunch some numbers on this, but would a budget bump pass for a mo' money illusion while you drop the necessity to clear both boards in a game to have a net effect of near-zero?  Personally, what I'd rather see is a return to the former style of play that didn't emphasize getting every clue revealed in a half hour, where there could be upwards of five or more clues untouched by the end of a round.

My main gripe for this is with time constraints and longer clues by the Clue Crew, there's an abundance of quick-run categories that show up nowadays where the clues max out around three words, clues that really don't lend themselves to the title of "TV's toughest quiz."
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 09:37:08 PM »
Perhaps someone more mathematically-inclined than myself could crunch some numbers on this, but would a budget bump pass for a mo' money illusion while you drop the necessity to clear both boards in a game to have a net effect of near-zero?  Personally, what I'd rather see is a return to the former style of play that didn't emphasize getting every clue revealed in a half hour, where there could be upwards of five or more clues untouched by the end of a round.

My main gripe for this is with time constraints and longer clues by the Clue Crew, there's an abundance of quick-run categories that show up nowadays where the clues max out around three words, clues that really don't lend themselves to the title of "TV's toughest quiz."
That's Krypton Factor, not Jeopardy.

I'm not a fan of the Clue Crew for similar reasons, but the visual clues are a nice palate cleanser, and the clue-answer categories like on Joker's Wild 90 are a nice change of pace. Increasing each clue by 50 or 100 bucks is just silly, and they don't need to redouble. When they have a Final Jeopardy where Alex says "You wrote what is Pennsylvania and Massachusetts but our judge says we can't accept it", that turns me off more than the Clue Crew. I also don't get the quibble about how much of a board remains unrevealed--I like content, so why not reveal all that's possible.
Travis L. Eberle

trainman

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »

I watch the show every night and am not quite sure what you're referring to -- care to find and provide a recent example or two?
trainman is a man of trains

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 10:45:09 PM »
I watch the show every night and am not quite sure what you're referring to -- care to find and provide a recent example or two?

Three words is a stretch.  But five words?  Try Tuesday's game.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Flerbert419

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 12:22:47 AM »
This past Friday's episode had NEXT U.N. MEMBER ALPHABETICALLY which featured one word clues.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 12:44:00 AM »
It sure did.
Travis L. Eberle

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 12:47:16 AM »
According to j-archive.com, the average winning score this season to date is $18,443. While I certainly wouldn't complain about winning that much, it does seem a tad low for a show that prides itself on being the toughest quiz on TV, especially considering Wheel contestants regularly win $20-30K with far less effort.
I think the current values hold up fine. IMO, $100 in 2001 vs now is a little different than $100 in 2001 vs. 1984, if that makes any sense.

In the 80s, with the original values, you saw several <10K wins on Jeopardy! (if not less), which amounts to a little more than 18K in 2016 money. If you wanna go way back, a contestant in the Fleming era prolly won on average, what, $1,000? That's roughly 8-9K today. To me, the excitement comes from a longtime champ racking up a nice six-figure haul.

I honestly think Wheel actually gives away more cash and prizes than necessary, but I'm also not the EP, so there you go...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 01:28:38 AM »
Honestly, with all the gimmicks Wheel feels the need to trot out I'm surprised those numbers aren't higher.

Do we really need a prize puzzle every day?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 02:05:55 AM »
The thing about Wheel is you only get the one try.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 07:27:09 AM »
The thing about Wheel is you only get the one try.

True, this. Whereas on its companion show you can go on and on for weeks at a time if you're smart/lucky enough.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Nick

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2017, 07:28:35 AM »
I also don't get the quibble about how much of a board remains unrevealed--I like content, so why not reveal all that's possible.

Quality over quantity if you ask me.  I'd much rather see longer clues of substance then the aforementioned short clues which usually fall under the trivia variety.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2017, 10:11:45 AM »
I'd much rather see longer clues of substance then the aforementioned short clues which usually fall under the trivia variety.
I'd argue it's all trivia.

I'd rather watch players get things right rather get them wrong or not get them at all. The ability to feel smarter than the players comes from the audience not having to wait for the go lights to respond. Hearing a round end short of all 30 clues revealed is frustrating because the round is incomplete. On the bright side for Nick, the College Championship is next week which tends to up the difficulty, and we're due for a ToC soon.

/Unrelated: I thought I heard Lisa's town as Irwin, PA which is on the other side of the state.
This signature is currently under construction.

calliaume

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2017, 07:13:53 PM »
Using the CPI Inflation Calculator (https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl), here are the values of $100 through all of the key Jeopardy! dates:

1964 - $100.00
1970 - $125.16
1975 - $173.55
1978 - $210.32
1984 - $335.16
1990 - $421.61
2002 - $580.32
2016 - $774.22

Honestly, I don't think viewers are thinking the show is cheap.  And the "keep winning and you keep playing" rule certainly attracts viewers.