Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: MG '75 question  (Read 1834 times)

passwordplus

MG '75 question
« on: January 24, 2004, 06:36:29 PM »
On tonight's episode(630pm 1/24) the contestant won by default because her opponent could not return for this show. Was this contestant later brought back on another show or what? I wonder what the heck happened in the first place that would cause a contestant not be able to return to finish(must have been an emergency!)

GS Warehouse

MG '75 question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 11:27:54 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Jan 24 2004, 06:36 PM\'] On tonight's episode(630pm 1/24) the contestant won by default because her opponent could not return for this show. Was this contestant later brought back on another show or what? I wonder what the heck happened in the first place that would cause a contestant not be able to return to finish(must have been an emergency!) [/quote]
 Gene didn't happen to mention the cause, did he?  I recall a 1979 episode of Card Sharks that was supposed to start with a tiebreaker, but the challenger was ill and couldn't continue.  The match defaulted to the champion and that show started with Money Cards instead, but the challenger did return one week later.

ChuckNet

MG '75 question
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 01:02:33 PM »
Gene didn't happen to mention the cause, did he? I recall a 1979 episode of Card Sharks that was supposed to start with a tiebreaker, but the challenger was ill and couldn't continue. The match defaulted to the champion and that show started with Money Cards instead, but the challenger did return one week later.

There was also a 1986 ep of Super Password where Bert announced that the champ couldn't return because she'd been in a car accident...after recuperating, she returned to the show a year later.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

melman1

MG '75 question
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 01:38:18 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 24 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Gene didn't happen to mention the cause, did he? [/quote]
 No, he didn't.  However, it was the first show of a "new week".  Didn't MG tape a week of shows on Friday and another week on Saturday?  (Or Saturday/Sunday?)  Maybe the other contestant was from out of town and couldn't return to LA the following weekend.  If that was the case, I'm surprised it didn't happen more often.
melman1, "some sort of God on this message board" - PYLdude, 7/9/06.

zachhoran

MG '75 question
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 02:00:09 PM »
[quote name=\'melman1\' date=\'Jan 25 2004, 01:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Jan 24 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Gene didn't happen to mention the cause, did he? [/quote]
No, he didn't.  However, it was the first show of a "new week".  Didn't MG tape a week of shows on Friday and another week on Saturday?  (Or Saturday/Sunday?)  Maybe the other contestant was from out of town and couldn't return to LA the following weekend.  If that was the case, I'm surprised it didn't happen more often. [/quote]
 MG7x taped on weekends most of the time IIRC, as TPIR had the studio for at least three days a week on their taping weeks(from late 1975-on in the hour long era), and some of the MG staff had other shows that taped on other days, i.e. Robert Sherman worked Password Plus during the week, and Marc Breslow directed TPIR as well as MG7x, and Skutch had producing duties on MG and Tattletales.