Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Showdown  (Read 7139 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Re: Game Showdown
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
Of course, you can also have the PYL front-end but not have it be actually random, too. ;)

I am curious to know why you think this would be a good idea at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 09:28:40 PM »
Dr. Malcolm, I never said it was, just that you could.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 10:20:32 PM »
Dr. Malcolm, I never said it was, just that you could.

In the same spirit, you seem to be spending a lot of time wondering if you could do something and not so much about if you should. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
I considered making Press Your Luck faux-random, but didn't want to go that route.  Instead, I'm considering using it as a finale, assigning spins based on # of main game wins in the previous rounds, and using each team's overall score as their starting bank.  But I suspect that without the big stakes of a real game show, Press Your Luck kinda falls flat.

Sodboy13

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
Depends on the crowd. I've hosted several game show nights, and Press Your Luck is a staple. It's a fun, flashy, low-brain game that carries an immense nostalgia factor. If you're playing with more of a pub quiz crowd, then yeah, you can shelve it. But if it's more casual, you might be surprised how well it goes over. Hearing one of my wife's friends say 'Oh my God, it's like I'm home sick in grade school and watching USA all afternoon" was an awesome payoff last time.
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

Loogaroo

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2017, 03:42:15 AM »
The experience that we had running the Game Show Machine for a convention a few years back is that you don't want to create a whole bunch of front games and bonus rounds - especially ones that require props - and have it so that any one game could show up at any time. Either a game gets randomly picked that you're not prepared for, or you write a bunch of questions and lug a bunch of extraneous equipment to the event despite the very real chance it never comes into play.

A simple itinerary of games for a given "episode" is just fine. After all, if your players don't know what's coming up, it doesn't really matter whether it's chosen randomly or if it's predetermined.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".