Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wipeout  (Read 3030 times)

alfonzos

Wipeout
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
It occurred to players of the bonus round don't pay attention to the category or answers when playing. One just picks six answers and rushes to the verification button until time runs out or the car is won. (I know it is much too late but) How about this rule change: when the verification button is hit the clock is stopped and a player loses three seconds for every incorrect answer. If there any time left, then the player continues to make corrections.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Re: Wipeout
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:52:42 PM »
How do you know they weren't paying attention?

It's a race against the clock. If they aren't paying attention without a restriction like you suggest what makes you think that's going to change?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
They aren't told what are right and what are wrong. Sounds like another Alfonzo original.
Travis L. Eberle

alfonzos

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 01:40:10 AM »
They are told how many answers are correct.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Loogaroo

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:43 AM »
I would suggest watching a playing of original recipe Split Decision on TPIR to see why exactly a stoppy-starty clock in a game is a bad idea.

And as for taking time away for wrong answers... do you want them to have a minute or do you not want them to have a minute?
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

PYLdude

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 04:48:17 AM »
They are told how many answers are correct.

But not which ones.

Let's draw this picture. I have 60 seconds. It takes me, let's say, 10 seconds to make my initial selection. Add a couple more for me to get back, because of my rather large body, and hit the buzzer. So I'm somewhere between 46-48 seconds. Realistically 46.

I only have two right. So now I've lost twelve seconds, and the clock is still running. It probably takes me another 10 to correct my mistakes, plus time to get there and back. Which should probably put me at about 22 seconds. You're asking me to be perfect this time, practically, because I'm likely not going to have enough time to win the car if I'm not. If I didn't get any new ones right, I have ten seconds. If I get one new answer I've got thirteen, which is not much of a cushion.

Do you see what you're creating here?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

jmangin

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »

It's a game show bonus round. Not everyone can be a winner. Your argument is akin to asking for more time on Classic Concentration because you have a slower pace of calling out numbers when compared to other contestants.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »
If we reduce Alfonzo's post down to "I want people to have to use their knowledge of the subject to win the car instead of just using logic," his solution doesn't solve things. If it reduces to "I don't want players to make random changes", then the solution is to do what we've done at TCONA: not play it against the clock but you get one chance to make changes and you win or don't.

The issue is that even if the category is "Most competitive jobs according to a single article in Glamour magazine," the Wipeout bonus game looks good on TV. You have action as the winner is running back and forth to the board and button, all the while a fantastic piece of music plays underneath and either a moment of fantastic triumph or disappointment at the end. To jettison all of that a new idea has to be better than that, and I don't think "penalty time" fits the bill.
Travis L. Eberle

PYLdude

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »

It's a game show bonus round. Not everyone can be a winner. Your argument is akin to asking for more time on Classic Concentration because you have a slower pace of calling out numbers when compared to other contestants.

How? My argument is pointing out the gaping flaw in Alfonzo's idea. You read way too much into my analysis of how much of an effect it had on the clock. Of course not everybody's gonna win. But at least don't come up with a solution to a problem that doesn't need fixing.