Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How Would You do Password?  (Read 4725 times)

edholland83

How Would You do Password?
« on: January 29, 2004, 02:42:02 PM »
I remember doing a post like this about before, but it seemed to get lost in talking about how much should be given away in the alphabetics/lightning round, so the question I once again ask, If you were in charge of the production of a new version of Password w/o freemantle interferance, how would the format be?

Here are a couple of my my ideas:

1. Classic format Best of-3 games to 25 or 50 points with double word and returning champs w/ alphabetics round

or

2. Updated Password +/SP format - Toss-up puzzles like 'Wheel', maybe a prize puzzle that offers a vacation somewhat like a 'mystery 7' or 'super 6' where the words are somewhat harder.

This is just a couple of things off the top of my head, I bet that there are probably a better range of ideas, that you guys have and I hope to hear them.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 02:59:48 PM »
Classic format.  I really didn't care for the puzzles.  Lightning round rather than the too-easy Alphabetics/Super Password.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:01:43 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

calliaume

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 03:34:22 PM »
[quote name=\'edholland83\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 02:42 PM\'] I remember doing a post like this about before, but it seemed to get lost in talking about how much should be given away in the alphabetics/lightning round, so the question I once again ask, If you were in charge of the production of a new version of Password w/o freemantle interferance, how would the format be?
 [/quote]
I actually did do a revival of sorts -- 20 years ago in college, three episodes, as host and producer.  (Total ego trip on my part, but we had the studio time...)  Remember, we had no budget for a board or anything, so Password Plus was out the window.  And this wound up being Bob Stewart Test the Format While on the AirTM production, but since I only had a couple of weeks to run the show, there were no other options.  (I was taking a single semester at that school; my actual alma mater didn't have its own cable facilities.)

Week 1 -- Classic Password, played until time was up, then Alphabetics.  Score was about 70-20, so I figured that didn't work.
Weeks 2 and 3 -- 25-point games, played until time was up, winner of most games goes on to Alphabetics.  A little better, and fortunately no ties.

It was difficult, and surprising that not everyone knew how to play the game.  Also, acting as host, scorekeeper, and judge simultaneously wasn't easy.

I do have one episode on tape, which is like Chinese water torture (why did I think growing a mustache would make me look better?).  Haven't seen it in six years.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:44:09 PM by calliaume »

Neumms

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 08:12:39 PM »
Watching "Password" on B&W Overnight gave me an idea. One night at the end of the show they didn't have time for a third game, so they played for cash--$100 on the first clue, $90 on the second and so on. Because they were trying to get as many words in as they could, there was a bit of excitement to it.

So here's a format.

1st Segment: Two Password Puzzles (a la P+). $100 for each Password, plus $500 for getting the puzzle.

2nd Segment: Whoever has the most cash plays Cashword (or Prizeword, for a car or trip or something) as on Super Password.

3rd Segment: Contestants take their money from the puzzles and trade partners. From here until time expires, it's good old fashioned Password. Each word worth $500 on the first clue, then $450, $400 and so on.

4th Segment: The contestant with the most cash plays the Lightning Round, which could be Alphabetics but you've got to stick with the classic name Lightning Round. A win here is worth $10 million. Or something like that.

JayC

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 08:40:57 PM »
$10 million?  They bonus round would be impossible if the payout was that high.

1978-Jeopardy

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 08:48:32 PM »
This is kinda off the top of my head, but how about "Jackpot Password".

-2 teams (civilian and celebrity) compete against eachother.
-"tiles" (in the vein of scrabble) are selected to determine the word. There are twenty tiles. Each word has a money value, depending on how easy or difficult the word is.
-There are 5 $500 words, 2 $600 words, 2 $700 words, 2 $800 words, 2 $900 words, 2 $1000 words, 1, $1100 word, 1 $1200 word, 1 $1500 word, 2 $2000 words, and one super-difficult "jackpot word".
-The first to guess 3 words wins the round. The first to win two games wins the match. The money won doesn't matter.
-The value of the word is immediately deposited in the jackpot, which begins at $10,000
-If the contestant solves the jackpot password, he/she wins the jackpot.
-If a contestant wins 5 matches, he wins a cheap car. If he wins 10, he wins a slightly nicer car. At 15, a contestant wins a chrysler. At 20, he/she wins a corvette and retires.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 09:16:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 06:40 PM\'] $10 million?  They bonus round would be impossible if the payout was that high. [/quote]
 You don't do sarcasm well, do you?
[quote name=\'neumms\' date=\' Jan 29 2004, 06:12 PM\']1st Segment: Two Password Puzzles (a la P+). $100 for each Password, plus $500 for getting the puzzle.[/quote]
As Chris C. can tell you, the problem with assigning dollar values to individual words in P+ is that all of a sudden you have a big strategic hole in the game...you reward contestants who take MORE words to guess the puzzle, and you don't want to do that.

Many have tried. None have succeeded. Let it be what it is.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 09:34:39 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 09:16 PM\'] As Chris C. can tell you, the problem with assigning dollar values to individual words in P+ is that all of a sudden you have a big strategic hole in the game...you reward contestants who take MORE words to guess the puzzle, and you don't want to do that.
 [/quote]
 Why award the same amount for solving the puzzle on the fifth word as the first?

$25 per Password solved, $250/$200/$150/$100/$50 for solving the puzzle.  Double it after the first two puzzles if you want to avoid straddling matches (with the $25 payouts, it's less likely you'll have a tie).

Winner plays Alphabetics.  See, this isn't that hard.

Unrealtor

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2004, 11:04:20 PM »
Act 1: Classic password for cash. $250 on the first clue, $50 less for each subsequent clue. First clue goes to the winning team for the previous word, if one exists, or to the team which went second; control for the first word in the round is random. Civilians and celebritities alternate giving, until time runs out. Pairings change at the end of the act.

Act 2: Puzzle password. Three clues per team per word. $50 for each password guessed. $500 if the puzzle is solved with one word showing, less $50 for each one after that.  Two puzzles in this act. Control rules as in Act 1. If the puzzle is not solved after the $300 opportunity or the fifth word is not guessed, the puzzle value is reduced to $250, and recievers, then givers, each get a guess (if the fifth word is solved, that reciever does not get a second guess at the $250 level, but their partner gets the first giver's chance; either way the person who recieved the next to the last clue goes first at this last chance). Celebrities give the first clues, with giving and receiving changing after each word. Pairings change after each puzzle.

Act 3A: Puzzle password, higher stakes. Same rules as Act 2, but with puzzle solve values doubled (start $1000, remove $100 after each word). At least one puzzle must be played, with more if time allows. If time runs out mid-puzzle, a "speed round" is played, beginning at the same dollar amount as the last guess (a sounder would be played immediately after the final/successful word guess, before any puzzle guesses were made) in the same order as if the final word had been revealed (with the contestant who earned a guess going first). After each four guesses, another word is revealed, and guesses are made in the same order again until the puzzle is solved or all five words have been revealed. Top money-earner after time runs out goes on to the bonus round(s) with a celebrity of their choice.

Act 3B: 10 words in 60 seconds. Not necessarily Alphabetics, but I think there needs to be a theme or other gimmick, or it's a little too hard, but the original lightning round was a bit too easy. Civilian chooses whether to give or recieve.

Act 4: "Double Trouble." One word clues to two-word phrases, 3 in 30 seconds, double their previous bonus winnings or nothing, but the contestant may elect not to play. Same give/recieve arrangement as in the previous bonus round. If the contestant decides not to play, spend the 30 seconds recapping/chatting, then roll credits.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 11:05:14 PM by Unrealtor »
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 12:15:23 AM »
[quote name=\'1978-Jeopardy\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 07:48 PM\'] -If he wins 10 (matches), he wins a slightly nicer car. At 15, a contestant wins a chrysler. [/quote]
 Shouldn't you have a better prize for 15 than for 10?

Ideally:
  • Straddle, with returning champions.
  • Keep the basic format of SP, but double the face value and throw in a $200 bonus for solving a puzzle on one clue.  That way, the first round is theoretically not a throwaway.
  • The bonus round (same as Alphabetics, but I don't care what it's called) has a fixed value.  $10K will suffice.
If the reality of 2004 TV is that it can't straddle:
  • returning champions.  If you can't do returning champions, don't bother.
  • Three puzzles worth $200, $400 and $600.  Any time available before the bonus round is puzzle-less words worth $100 each.  (If the score is tied $600-$600 after three puzzles, one $100 word breaks the tie, even if there's time remaining.)
  • same bonus
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 04:28:09 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Jan 29 2004, 09:16 PM\']
[quote name=\'neumms\' date=\' Jan 29 2004, 06:12 PM\']1st Segment: Two Password Puzzles (a la P+). $100 for each Password, plus $500 for getting the puzzle.[/quote]
As Chris C. can tell you, the problem with assigning dollar values to individual words in P+ is that all of a sudden you have a big strategic hole in the game...you reward contestants who take MORE words to guess the puzzle, and you don't want to do that.

Many have tried. None have succeeded. Let it be what it is. [/quote]
 Just to play devil's advocate, "Wheel of Fortune" has always had the same strategic flaw. The risk presented by missing a password would be the same as the risk of spinning a bankrupt. The reason I gave words a dollar value was just to have fewer ties before Cashword.

Of course, anything would be good if the game came back. (Well, as long as John Davidson didn't host it.)

Gus

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 07:40:03 PM »
If I had my way, I'd use the P+/SP format (I was always fond of that, I don't know why) best two of three at $250 a puzzle (alternate teminology: play until someone gets to $500),  with $100 consolation for a shutout loser. Winner goes to bonus round.

However, in these days of time constraints and no straddling, I'd use a format reminiscent of the old system with a few key changes: Play individual words one at a time, but instead of switching teams with each clue, switch with each word, ie, each team gets consecutive chances at its own word. First clue is for $100, then it decreases $20 for each clue, meaning a maximum of five clues/word. (These values could easily change.) The person giving the clue would switch every two words; eg: Word 1, team A, celeb gives; word 2, team B, celeb gives; word 3, team A, player gives; word 4, team B, player gives; et cetera ad advertiseum.

At halftime (commerical break), players switch celebrities, taking scores with them, like on SP. Highest scoring player at the final buzzer wins, and gets to choose his celebrity for the bonus round.

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2004, 09:15:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 06:40 PM\'] However, in these days of time constraints and no straddling, I'd use a format reminiscent of the old system with a few key changes: Play individual words one at a time, but instead of switching teams with each clue, switch with each word, ie, each team gets consecutive chances at its own word. First clue is for $100, then it decreases $20 for each clue, meaning a maximum of five clues/word. (These values could easily change.) [/quote]
 Minor nitpick:  I always thought one interesting part of the main game on old versions and the individual words in SP/P+ was giving a clue that would be of limited value to your opponent, or just passing in the hope that a word that was well-nigh impossible in one clue was gettable on two.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2004, 09:08:55 AM »
Fremantle version: the number of letters in each password is revealed to both the givers and receivers on each team. In the case of a five-letter password, the first three and final two letters are also revealed to the givers and receivers. Six letter passwords: the first three and final three letters. You get the idea.

If neither team gets the password, a pre-taped situation is played. There is no particular reason for this other than they have a lot of pre-taped situations lying around.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 09:16:19 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2004, 09:20:24 AM »
To make it a little faster paced for today's audience, Jack Paar-style clues would be acceptable.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.