Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Question about Jeopardy 2K3...  (Read 3733 times)

Kevin Prather

Question about Jeopardy 2K3...
« on: January 30, 2004, 10:10:22 PM »
Today when I was playing, I got this question...

"When you are going fast, you go like a blue one of these, or one of lightning."

I answered "What is bolt?", and Alex said "I'll have to check with the judges here...*looks to side*...no, sorry."

What I wanna know is this: Are there any instances in this game where he askes the judges, and it comes up right?

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 10:11:56 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 30 2004, 10:10 PM\'] What I wanna know is this: Are there any instances in this game where he askes the judges, and it comes up right? [/quote]
 Oh, sure. I can't recall specifics, but I do know I've seen it happen.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 05:31:46 AM »
It depends upon how you customize the judging on that game.  It it's set on loose, chances are some vauge responses will be accepted.  However, on a tight judging option, most vauge responses will be rejected.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 03:41:04 PM »
The two settings I can think of are Difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard) and Spelling (Loose, Medium, Strict). I don't see a judging option. How do I get to it?

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2004, 03:56:44 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 03:41 PM\'] The two settings I can think of are Difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard) and Spelling (Loose, Medium, Strict). I don't see a judging option. How do I get to it? [/quote]
 WHat about the Bob Synes setting. When the late Synes was judging the 70s Split Second(he later worked on Eubanks Dream House and was working with Stone-Stanley on Fun House at the time of his death), he was reportedly very strict on how the contestants pronounced the answers. Maria Antoinette wouldn't be acceptable, but only Marie Antionette was to him.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2004, 04:22:58 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Jan 31 2004, 01:41 PM\'] The two settings I can think of are Difficulty (Easy, Medium, Hard) and Spelling (Loose, Medium, Strict). I don't see a judging option. How do I get to it? [/quote]
 IIRC, Difficulty determines how long you have to respond, and Spelling determines basically how forgiving the spelling parser is...on Loose you can type just the consonants of the right answer in, and as long as they're in order it will credit you.

I think the "let's check with the judges" thing happens when a question certain answers that are close, but not really close enough to merit calling for more specific informaiton. For example, in your case it was looking for "thunderbolt", and you gave half an answer.

I've had it do the inverse on me...all I can think is that part of my answer had the trigger word, but I'd already gave the information they were looking for to accept the response.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Esoteric Eric

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2004, 04:44:17 PM »
Per whoserman, the answer read:
"When you are going fast, you go like a blue one of these, or one of lightning."

...and, to quote Chris Lemon:

"For example, in your case it was looking for 'thunderbolt'..."

Er, seems to me the correct question should have been, "What is a streak?" Like a blue streak, or a streak of lightning...

Esoteric Eric; of course, I looked at the answer for several minutes before figuring THAT out, but still...
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2004, 05:18:07 PM »
It was streak. Sorry I didn't mention that.

Also, allow me to correct myself: Difficulty is actually Computer IQ.

GameShowFan

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2004, 06:29:10 PM »
What I wanna know is this: Are there any instances in this game where he askes the judges, and it comes up right?

I've actually had exactly what's decribed above happen once, and had to re-do an answer to be more specific. Both incidents involved our Roosevelt presidents.

The first time, I keyed in "FDR" as the answer, and got the "Let me check with the judges... yes, you're right" bit. The second time, I keyed in just "Roosevelt", got "Be more specific" and had to re-do the answer.

Then there was the time the computer didn't take "General Motors" in lieu of "GM." But that's for another thread.

'Brian