Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2018 Daytime Emmy nomiations  (Read 5192 times)

Winkfan

2018 Daytime Emmy nomiations
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:07:54 PM »
That is, the ones we care about:

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST
Wayne Brady, Let’s Make a Deal
Chris Harrison, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire
Steve Harvey, Family Feud
Pat Sajak, Wheel of Fortune
Alex Trebek, Jeopardy!

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW
Family Feud
Jeopardy!
Let’s Make a Deal
The Price Is Right
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

BrandonFG

Re: 2018 Daytime Emmy nomiations
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
For those (like myself) who do care about the full list, here you go. The list of categories seems a lot longer than it used to be.

The Creative Arts ceremony is April 27, the main ceremony is on the 29th.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »
You forgot about one more game show category...

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A GAME SHOW
Family Feud
Let's Make a Deal
The Noise
The Price is Right

Consider me pleasantly surprised at The Noise getting a nomination. It's become a fun and endearing watch for me and a friend.

I saw that Mario Lopez and Sheryl Underwood were hosting the ceremony this year, but no mention of it being broadcast. Does that mean it's not? Would be a shame if they couldn't at least mount an online stream for the 45th ceremony.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

johnnya2k3

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »
Like last year, I’m sure the Daytime Emmys will be live-streamed on Facebook and/or YouTube this year...unless if they can get USA or Bravo to broadcast it, since mother network NBC has the Real Emmys (Primetime awards) on Monday, September 17.

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 11:40:05 PM »
since mother network NBC has the Real Emmys

The large amount of people who have won awards from the very real Daytime Emmys would beg to differ with you.

davemackey

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 03:10:58 AM »
You forgot about one more game show category...

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING IN A GAME SHOW
Family Feud
Let's Make a Deal
The Noise
The Price is Right

Directed respectively by Ken Fuchs, Lenn Goodside, Steve Grant and Adam Sandler.

davemackey

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 03:19:08 AM »
Jeopardy! was also cited in the category of Outstanding Interactive Media Enhancement to a Daytime Program or Series.

Jeopardy! and The Price is Right both nominated for Outstanding Technical Team.

Family Feud and Price is Right nominated for Outstanding Live and Direct to Tape Sound Mixing.

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 12:37:53 PM »
Like last year, I’m sure the Daytime Emmys will be live-streamed on Facebook and/or YouTube this year...unless if they can get USA or Bravo to broadcast it, since mother network NBC has the Real Emmys (Primetime awards) on Monday, September 17.

How many emmy's have you won?

I'll wait.
insert signature here

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
Family Feud and Price is Right nominated for Outstanding Live and Direct to Tape Sound Mixing.

What is this category? Do the nominees submit a line cut before the episode goes to the editors? Because both of these shows receive a clear editing-down before they air, a process during which individual audio levels could be enhanced or reduced.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
That is, the ones weI care about
FTFY.

So out of curiosity, is winning an Emmy at all comparable to say, a baseball team that wins the World Series?  Do individual staff members also get some kind of hardware?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »
since mother network NBC has the Real Emmys (Primetime awards) on Monday, September 17.
Bruh.

I know you think you're impressing us, but if you want people to take you seriously up here, hot takes like this aren't helping. It's a tremendous honor to win a Daytime Emmy, and looks pretty damn good on a resume. For you to think otherwise shows how out of touch you are about the industry.

So out of curiosity, is winning an Emmy at all comparable to say, a baseball team that wins the World Series?  Do individual staff members also get some kind of hardware?
I can only speak from working at a Regional Emmy-award winning station*, but I can't recall us getting anything more than a special staff meal from the boss, in celebration/appreciation.

*/Those awards are very real
//The meals were delicious
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
Directed respectively by Ken Fuchs, Lenn Goodside, Steve Grant and Adam Sandler.
I was wondering why the list of nominees I was looking at (from Deadline) omitted their names. Made me wonder if some of them had multiple directors even though I knew for sure that LMAD and TPIR were just one person.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 10:23:24 PM »

No.  Of course, most awards are job specific and go to those unique artists.  But when a series wins any kind of best-in-show award, only a handful of specific, named producers receive a physical award.  There are all sorts of complicated rules about who's entitled to be on that short list.

What you often see at awards shows is the entire creative community of a show all storming the stage together, and that may lead you to think they all get trophies, but that's not the case.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

brianhenke

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 12:17:02 AM »
  The winners in the game show categories were:

Outstanding Game Show: TPIR
  Outstanding Game Show Host: Wayne Brady (first win in this category after seven(?) nominations)

FWIW, the show only aired on Twitter (I think). Keep in mind that until about a decade or so ago, they were on network TV. The main appeal of the Daytime Emmys was to see if Susan Lucci would finally win after so many losses. She did in 1999. After that, the popularity of the Daytime Emmys began to shrink, eventually moving over to cable and (finally) social media. It should be noted coincidentally during this time, All My Children, One Life To Live, As The World Turns and Guiding Light were canceled (but GL's demise led to CBS picking up LMAD).

I noticed that all four of the remaining daytime soaps were up for Oustanding Daytime Series. Maybe it's time for that category to merge with Outstanding Digital Daytime Series (there were six up for that honor). Heck, the Primetime Emmys gave Best Dramatic Series last year to a streaming service show (The Handmaid's Tale).

There are so many other types of TV shows (besides the soaps) that are honored at the Daytime Emmys. Morning shows, court shows, culinary shows, entertainment shows (ET won this year), talkers and (of course) game shows deserve more recognition than just being on Twitter.

Brian

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:33:50 AM by brianhenke »
Johnny Cash sang "I Have the Wine"?

gamed121683

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
  The winners in the game show categories were:

Outstanding Game Show: TPIR
  Outstanding Game Show Host: Wayne Brady (first win in this category after seven(?) nominations)

EIGHT nominations, I beleive.