Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TruTV’s Paid Off helps tackle the student loan bubble  (Read 1736 times)

BrandonFG

TruTV’s Paid Off helps tackle the student loan bubble
« on: July 06, 2018, 11:56:26 AM »
Honestly, I’m surprised someone hasn’t tried this sooner (not counting “Debt” from 20 years ago). TruTV is premiering a new game show that gives contestants the chance to win money to pay off their student loans. “Paid Off” starts next Tuesday at 10 pm.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/550151/new-game-show-helps-contestants-pay-their-student-loans

The article doesn’t mention if there’s a limit. But I’d still like to apply.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Re: TruTV’s Paid Off helps tackle the student loan bubble
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 01:52:38 PM »
Honestly, I’m surprised someone hasn’t tried this sooner (not counting “Debt” from 20 years ago).

Well, except that's pretty much what this is.  The game appears to be significantly different, but the gimmick is exactly the same.  It will appear to be a novelty, because Debt is pretty obscure and these contestants would have been infants when it first aired anyway.  But the selling point of this show is precisely the same as the selling point for Wink's old thing.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 02:00:07 PM »
I should say "tried a game show where you can pay off your student loans". But, I also forgot WinTuition did something similar (college expenses in general, not just loans). IIRC, ABC tried to bring back Debt around the time the of the Great Recession.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 05:34:35 PM »
While not the central conceit of the show, the ability to pay off one's credit card debt was also a feature of the extremely short-lived It's Your Chance of a Lifetime in 2000 (complete with on-set paper shredder, because financial recordkeeping is for chumps).