Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Karn Feud/80s PYL questions  (Read 2981 times)

BrandonFG

Karn Feud/80s PYL questions
« on: December 29, 2003, 06:06:09 PM »
This might seem weird, but I'll describe it best I can.

On the game board, there's an eggcrate tote board that shows the bank, but I notice during Fast Money, the square that usually displays the total is now a reddish colored square. Any ideas as to what it is?

On a related subject, on PYL, was the little red and white "SPINS" sign simply something that slid on and off, along with the "earned/passed" arrows?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2003, 12:34:33 AM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tommycharles

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 06:14:05 PM »
I think the PYL "SPINS" sing flipped over to reveal the earned/passed arrows, but I could be wrong.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 06:28:39 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 06:06 PM\']
On a related subject, on PYL, was the little red and white "SPINS" sign simply something that slid on and off, along with the "earned/passed" arrows? [/quote]
I believe the Earned/Passed arrows sign was just an acrylic sticker that was peeled on/off when the time came. Similar to the "SPINS" sign that covered up the tote board.

Son of Zac- I mean, Tyshaun
« Last Edit: December 29, 2003, 06:29:26 PM by tyshaun1 »

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 07:38:05 PM »
On the game board, there's an eggcrate tote board that shows the board, but I notice during Fast Money, the square that usually displays the total is now a reddish colored square. Any ideas as to what it is?
I think I know what you're asking... the three digit display is somehow no longer there?  I think it is moved down, somehow.  If you look at the game board when I family wins, that square will flash the same color as the rest of the board's border.  Just a nice little touch.

I believe the Earned/Passed arrows sign was just an acrylic sticker that was peeled on/off when the time came. Similar to the "SPINS" sign that covered up the tote board.
Acrylic?  That's too fancy.  Think high grade cardboard.

Brandon Brooks

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 08:30:42 PM »
Well, if that's the case, how did they moved the number of spins earned in the question round from the Orange Box to the Yellow Box before the board round came?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 08:43:45 PM »
Well, if that's the case, how did they moved the number of spins earned in the question round from the Orange Box to the Yellow Box before the board round came?

My guess would be that each of the three boxes (Yellow, Orange and Red) had an eggcrate display, much like any other show that has such displays.  When the time comes, the Orange display is turned off and the others turned on.  Not too hard.  The sticker is just slapped on over the Orange readout for the spin round.  

Whatever is the easiest, quickest and cheapest way to get the job done would be most likely what they ended up doing.  No sense making things tougher than they have to, since they taped five-a-day.

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 07:50:12 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Dec 29 2003, 06:06 PM\']On the game board, there's an eggcrate tote board that shows the bank, but I notice during Fast Money, the square that usually displays the total is now a reddish colored square. Any ideas as to what it is?[/quote]
When I attended a taping of Feud this season, for a couple of episodes, I had a good overhead view of Burton's announcing station, where there's a monitor. I made a special note to look at the monitor during Fast Money, since I've noticed that, too. All I know is that in real life, that top square does not change color at all (you can sometimes see it -- if they get a shot showing the board from any other camera after a Fast Money win, it's still gray). But on the monitor, the top square was the same color as the rest of the border. So it's got to be some kind of video insertion done live-to-tape (maybe they duplicate the colored square on the bottom?).

--
Scott Robinson

I also learned that on the current version, a question is thrown out if the face-off players can't think of an answer -- they don't let the next person in each family have a crack at it, too. That surprised me.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2004, 03:06:40 PM »

Yes, that's correct.  There was actually one episode I remember seeing (I believe on the USA reruns) where Peter is actually seen pulling them off on the throw and fade to commercial.

There was also another famous episode where the "N" falls off of the "SPINS" sign, and Peter says "...this would never happen to Bob Barker!"
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

HYHYBT

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 04:32:24 AM »
I think the PYL "SPINS" sign flipped over to reveal the earned/passed arrows, but I could be wrong.

That would be a neat trick, the SPINS sign being three times as big and all...
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

adamjk

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2004, 05:25:28 PM »
I also learned that on the current version, a question is thrown out if the face-off players can't think of an answer -- they don't let the next person in each family have a crack at it, too. That surprised me.

I would imagine this is done to save on time. As more time is needed for ads now, in comparision to the original versions.