Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Blankety Blanks  (Read 1985 times)

familyfeudfan

Blankety Blanks
« on: March 04, 2004, 02:42:16 AM »
What changes could be made to Blankety Blanks(Cullen version) to make it a hit?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Blankety Blanks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 03:11:06 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 02:42 AM\'] What changes could be made to Blankety Blanks(Cullen version) to make it a hit? [/quote]
 You've got to be joking me.

This show has no chance of making it back on air.  The format was terrible, and from my understanding of the games scoring structure, the games would have taken a long time to complete.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

Blankety Blanks
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 09:43:30 AM »
I liked the show and I prefer to remember it as it was, no revival could improve on it.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

Blankety Blanks
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 10:25:41 AM »
This was ABC's lamest game of the '70s until "The Neighbors" and "Hot Seat" came along later.  Bill Cullen must have been desperate for host work to sign on for this thing.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

The Ol' Guy

Blankety Blanks
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 10:36:29 AM »
DSmith is pretty much right. Stewart in some ways is an incredibly clever producer - he comes up with ideas that have some merit, such as the pun puzzles. Unfortunately, he has a tendency to kill a decent idea with poor execution. So many of his shows look "just slapped together", and Blankety Blanks was one of them. The "link the half-phrases" prelim was weak, like his spell the answer prelim for Winning Streak. A lot of his games have a good "hook", but his prelim games to get to that hook aren't as good as the hook. I think a lot of his end games are super. The one special memory I have of Blankety Blanks was when the contestants came up with a better answer than the producers, and they disallowed it. I think it was Larry Linville and partner - "When Snoopy goes on a camping trip, he sleeps in a "blankety blank". They came up with "doggie bag" - which was funnier than Bob's "pup tent". The audience expressed their disapproval. With the object being "determine the clever answer" on BB, you'd think the judges would allow for a little creativity if it really fit the puzzle. But that's just me.....