Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! After Alex  (Read 11616 times)

Esoteric Eric

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2004, 12:56:48 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 1 2004, 11:04 PM\']If you're willing to have an open mind and not limit it to someone who has done game shows, a sportscaster such as Keith Olbermann might be able to handle the assignment.[/quote]
Ummmm... I'm watching KO on MSNBC right now, and he ain't talking sports.  (Actually, he's talking about the Super Bowl halftime debacle.)

While I'd certainly enjoy a game show hosted by KO, I just don't think it's gonna happen, certainly not now that he's got a news show where he no longer has to talk about a presidential sex scandal an hour an night for weeks on end.

Esoteric Eric, noting that geography might play a part in KO's career choice; he certainly seems to prefer New York City (and its metro area) to LA, or even Bristol, CT.  (P.S. It also seems that Caroline Rhea prefers to based in the Big Apple.)
Eric Smallman; "...I don't think God ever forgave me for Phyllis Newman..." - "Jimmy Carter" (Dan Aykroyd), SNL, 1976

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2004, 03:31:41 AM »
George Gray. He was very well on Weakest Link mixing the right amount of humor and straight quizzing.
Why of course! Jeopardy! is such a Komedy Laff-Riot that they really need a COMEDIAN to emcee. Who'da thought Merv had it wrong the past 40 years with those stuffy Fleming and Trebek guys?

Hey while you're at it, make every category name a JOKE! I know where you can find a bunch of soon-to-be-unemployed writers who specialize in just that kind of thing.

ChuckNet

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2004, 12:11:44 PM »
Why of course! Jeopardy! is such a Komedy Laff-Riot that they really need a COMEDIAN to emcee. Who'da thought Merv had it wrong the past 40 years with those stuffy Fleming and Trebek guys?

LOL...yeah, I'm leery of comedians on straight Q&A shows, which is why I'd reject the suggestions of George Gray or Graham Elwood...and don't even get me started on Chris Wylde of Taboo!

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

DrBear

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2004, 01:00:21 PM »
Well, if they're hiring sportscasters, Chris Berman did well on "Superbowl of Sports Trivia." But they'd have to make the board larger to get in the nicknames:

Contestant: "Vice Presidents for $600."
Board:
                 HE LOST THE PRESIDENTIAL
                ELECTION IN 1800 TO THOMAS
                "MOVIN' ON UP TO THE EAST
                       "SIDE" JEFFERSON

Contestant: "Who is Aaron Burr?"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Feb 3 2004, 02:00 PM\'] Well, if they're hiring sportscasters, Chris Berman did well on "Superbowl of Sports Trivia." But they'd have to make the board larger to get in the nicknames:

Contestant: "Who is Aaron Burr?" [/quote]
 Actually, if they're going to do that, they also ought to make the contestants respond in Berman-ese.

Contestant:  Who is "Aaron on the side of caution" Burr?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

CaseyAbell

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2004, 01:18:11 PM »
Chris "He's worse than a Siberian labor camp in Decem" Berman?

TravisP

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2004, 04:16:55 PM »
William G Stewart could be a decent candiate since he has been reading thousands of questions across 15 Years along with his producing background (Producing Family Fortunes, TPIR w/Leslie Crowther) and since 15 To 1 is now axed it might launch him into US "small GS" stardom.

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2004, 04:21:57 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' date=\'Feb 3 2004, 05:16 PM\'] William G Stewart could be a decent candiate since he has been reading thousands of questions across 15 Years along with his producing background (Producing Family Fortunes, TPIR w/Leslie Crowther) and since 15 To 1 is now axed it might launch him into US "small GS" stardom. [/quote]
 In terms of demeanor and delivery, Stewart is probably the closest thing the UK has to Trebek -- serious without being TOO stuffy, and ever-so-slightly pompous.  The only problem I see -- isn't he, like, 112 years old by now?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TravisP

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2004, 04:29:12 PM »
Thats a fact as he will be 69 later this year.

Clay Zambo

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »
It sure won't be Mo Rocca, who's currently "hosting" the Today Show Beatles Trivia game.  Not to rule him out as the host of some show, sometime, but not J!, or at least not with a major "let's make it a more fun, freewheeling game" revision.
czambo@mac.com

Skynet74

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2004, 08:57:28 AM »
Jeopardy after Alex Trebek??? Replace him with Bob Barker.  :-)

John

DrBear

Jeopardy! After Alex
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2004, 12:46:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 07:57 AM\'] Jeopardy after Alex Trebek??? Replace him with Bob Barker.  :-)

John [/quote]
 Already posted by Jimmy Owen and duly joked about by yours truly.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.