Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Survivor All-Stars 2/5 Pre-Game  (Read 3201 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Survivor All-Stars 2/5 Pre-Game
« on: February 05, 2004, 11:49:10 AM »
Okay, this is the official discussion thread for this week's Survivor All-Stars. Remember, ANYONE posting spoilers should do so ONLY in Show Summaries, should NOT give away anything in the headings, and should do so using accepted spoiler methods. (In other words, provide enough spoiler space such that a user clicking the message accidentally should STILL be able to hit the Back button on their browser and get out of it before anything is ruined for them. Let's look out for each other here, OK?

That said, here are the tidbits CBS has on the Website for tonight's show. Speculation is welcome:
They thought they'd seen it all the first time, but the All-Stars face a desperate situation none of them has known before.
Sounds to me like they don't get fire made, but with the rain coming down, shouldn't they be able to gather at least SOME water anyhow, if they have ANY brains at all? And Hatch seemed fairly confident that he could make fire at any time: good luck doing it with wet wood, pal.

Or maybe Soozin gets dysentary. :) Although Roodie seems to think the water's OK, but then again I suspect Roodie drinks battery acid. :)
A nervous castaway keeps failing miserably when trying to be useful to the tribe.
No idea who this is. Rupert doesn't APPEAR to be nervous, despite the pickle he put himself in siding with Jerri and her new lap dog. That could actually work out well - now that Ethan is the lone former champion in Saboga, he needs to find a side to stand on, and between Jerri/Jenna L. and Rupert/Roodie, it doens't take a rocket scientist to figger out whose actually honorable.
A female castaway is vexed by several male tribemates when she tries to show them how to make fire.
Call me crazy, but this has Alicia written all over it.

It seems that until these tribes merge or do whatever they are going to do, avoiding TC is going to be CRITICAL. That said, I gotta like Mogo Mogo's chances. The closest thing they have to dead weight physically is Hatch, and he's not too badly off, and will make up for it in the mental contests. Roodie of Saboga (unless his alliance holds, and it might) and Tom of Chapera are the two biggest targets in the game right now, if it comes to tribes wanting to improve their physical positions.

Lex to win it all. My heart wants to go with Rupert, but he's too visible.

So those are my thoughts...what are yours?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 11:52:26 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 01:32:26 PM »
Of course, I'd love Rupert to win, too. I think he will go far because no one really knows him and the whole "kicking out the winners" thing will unfold. I don't think Rudy will last long, though. He's 75 and even the healthiest 75 year old will fade when he's dehydrated and baking in the sun. Hell, even the healthies 25 year old will do that.

I like the chances of someone like Amber this time around. She made it far in the Outback being a quiet toady to Jerri and she's even less visible this time around. (Can you even remember one thing she said to anyone on the island?) This game, moreso than previous Survivors, is about flying under the radar.

We'll see. :)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Neumms

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 01:46:35 PM »
I agree that it will take a more subtle approach. I like Amber, too, just because I like Amber. It seems that Rob--not Boston Rob, but the Rob from the men vs. women round--is playing it pretty cool, too, and he's a pretty darn good player.

Sue could come from behind, not that she's subtle. She's got guts, and she might be someone the others don't fear because she's such a crackpot.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 02:57:27 PM »
I think Shii Ann may do quite well on this version, especially since she's toying with the idea of keeping Richard just to keep things interesting.  Keep him around until he outlives his uselessness and move on.  I'm also hoping she does well since I thought she was pretty much screwed in Thailand and kind of deserves a second chance.  I know, reality shows should not generate moral claims like "deserving a second chance" but every twist in Thailand worked against her in ways she had no control over.

By the way, since the game is still only 39 days, I'm curious as to how the whittling down will happen.  If they do what has happened with all the 39-day seasons (Austrailia was 42), there will be 6 people left on day 36.  Any predictions?

grimmte

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 03:00:41 PM »
Since the Immunity Idol can be broken up into two pieces or kept as a whole, I was thinking that some days they will have two tribes be immune and some days they will have only one, and hence two tribal councils like they did when they brought back the misfits tribe in Pearl Islands.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 03:23:32 PM »
Basically, anything goes with whatever rules or exceptions Burnett wants to make.  I was a little surprised in the debut that in the competition, the team that finished first didn't receive any kind of bonus over the team that finished second.  Seems to me the more logical thing to do in a contest would be:

FIRST:  Immunity + Reward
SECOND:  Immunity
THIRD:  Tribal Council
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 03:27:03 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 01:32 PM\']Of course, I'd love Rupert to win, too. I think he will go far because no one really knows him and the whole "kicking out the winners" thing will unfold. I don't think Rudy will last long, though. He's 75 and even the healthiest 75 year old will fade when he's dehydrated and baking in the sun. Hell, even the healthies 25 year old will do that.[/quote]
Sandra, the winner of "Pearl Islands," agrees with you--she's writing a column for the Seattle Post-Intelligencier covering "All-Stars" and here's today's installment.

Personally, I'd love to see Rupert take it all this time, for the obvious reason that he's the most entertaining player in "Survivor" history.  I do agree with Sandra that they're going to be picking off the winners first, which may go against her theory that Rudy's the next to go.

Rupert's partner in the Final Two?  Sue--she may be a whiner, but she's a *great* whiner.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 03:43:33 PM »
I think it'd be nice to see Rich and Ethan in the final 2!

Two million-dollar winners battling for another Million Dollars. Sounds like fun.

Last time we saw 2 women battle it out. This time it'll be fun to see 2 MEN battle it out!

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 03:56:35 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 01:43 PM\'] Last time we saw 2 women battle it out. This time it'll be fun to see 2 MEN battle it out! [/quote]
 I don't see what difference it makes. Either way, it's not much of a battle, they sit there and answer questions from the jury. It's more like a trial than anything. ESPECIALLY when you get down to the last two. The challenges are OVER at that point.
[quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\' Feb 5 2004, 12:57 PM\']I think Shii Ann may do quite well on this version, especially since she's toying with the idea of keeping Richard just to keep things interesting. Keep him around until he outlives his uselessness and move on. [/quote]
I'm not sure how wise this is either. It's like the story about the woman who comes across the wounded snake, and then helps it, and then gets surprised when it bites her, because she shoulda remembered it was a snake when she picked it up. "Who wants to dethrone the King on the first day?" In this case, Hon, YOU DO.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 04:00:50 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 03:56 PM\'][quote name=\'Little Big Brother\' date=\' Feb 5 2004, 12:57 PM\']I think Shii Ann may do quite well on this version, especially since she's toying with the idea of keeping Richard just to keep things interesting. Keep him around until he outlives his uselessness and move on. [/quote]
I'm not sure how wise this is either. It's like the story about the woman who comes across the wounded snake, and then helps it, and then gets surprised when it bites her, because she shoulda remembered it was a snake when she picked it up. "Who wants to dethrone the King on the first day?" In this case, Hon, YOU DO.[/quote]
As immortalized in Oscar Brown, Jr.'s song "The Snake," made a minor hit by Al Wilson, Jr. in 1969--the sort of song you're only going to hear on obscure R&B oldies shows or the Music Choice R&B Oldies or Solid Gold Oldies channels--maybe.

Take me in
Oh tender woman
Take me in
For heaven's sake
Take me in
Oh tender woman
Ssssssssssssighed the snake...

Neumms

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 04:17:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 03:56 PM\'] I'm not sure how wise this is either. It's like the story about the woman who comes across the wounded snake, and then helps it, and then gets surprised when it bites her, because she shoulda remembered it was a snake when she picked it up. "Who wants to dethrone the King on the first day?" In this case, Hon, YOU DO. [/quote]
 Boy, Shi-Ann's got the hubris doesn't she? One would think her last game would have taught her something. Granted, her departure was helped by the out-of-leftfield twist in rules, but it's the cocky who get suckered by those.

Peter Sarrett

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 06:38:41 PM »
WARNING, Will Robinson!  WARNING!  Possible SPOILER in white below (highlight to read).  I say possible, because I don't remember where I read this, and I recall at the time thinking that the source wasn't especially reliable.  The spoiler addresses a rumor about how they'll fit 17 eliminations into the space normally used for 15, with one Survivor explicitly named.  So:

I heard that Jenna Morasca (Survivor: Amazon winner) winds up leaving the game early as a result of the death of her mother, and another player (don't know who) also walks out.  If true, that leaves only 15 necessary eliminations.

- Peter

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 09:17:33 PM »
Peter doesn't need any props from me, but I want everyone else to take a good look at that. THAT, my friends, is how you do a SPOILER. :)

"But I don't know how to do that!!!" You should learn. Bottom line.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 10:56:43 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 5 2004, 09:17 PM\']Peter doesn't need any props from me, but I want everyone else to take a good look at that. THAT, my friends, is how you do a SPOILER. :)

"But I don't know how to do that!!!" You should learn. Bottom line.[/quote]
The color white doesn't appear in the combo box, but I see in the code that the way it's done is: left bracket, then "[font=\"Courier\"]color=[/font]colorname", right bracket.  Don't forget the closing tag.

Testing: The theme kicks.

At the risk of making this post like Thad Dixon's handiwork, it works for certain other named colors and hex codes as well.  If we could find the hex code for the background, we can make spoiler text exactly match it, but white works almost as well.

Anyway, I did hear about this event in the spoiler, but there was no word at the time on whether it would have any affect on game play.  If said player was already voted out without reaching the jury, it wouldn't.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 10:57:03 PM by GS Warehouse »

Speedy G

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 12:21:40 AM »
.post1 { background-color: #F5F9FD }
.post2 { background-color: #EEF2F7 }

Found buried in HTML code (specifically the stylesheet info).

This post will either have this color or this color as a background.

Unless your font is THIS BIG you really can't make out a difference between the two.  At least I can't.  Your color perception may vary.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 12:22:03 AM by Speedy G »
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*