Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Roberto Stewart  (Read 2990 times)

Jay Temple

Roberto Stewart
« on: February 10, 2004, 12:26:09 AM »
Okay, I know that TPIR, WoF and J! are American shows with foreign versions.  However, I've never heard anything about foreign versions of Password and Pyramid, two hugely successful games that I expect would work just as well in other languages.  Does anyone know whether they've had foreign incarnations?  (I haven't even heard of a British version of either one!)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Roberto Stewart
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 10:26 PM\'] Okay, I know that TPIR, WoF and J! are American shows with foreign versions.  However, I've never heard anything about foreign versions of Password and Pyramid, two hugely successful games that I expect would work just as well in other languages.  Does anyone know whether they've had foreign incarnations?  (I haven't even heard of a British version of either one!) [/quote]
 Pyramid is apparently hugely popular in France, although it's a slightly different format. Some folks here have posted about it on occasion.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brig Bother

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 07:59:31 AM »
Yes. Pyramide is kind of a Pyramid/Password hybrid, really.

There were British versions of Pyramid (starting out as part of a much larger Saturday Night Entertainment show were it was "The £1,000 Pyramid" which then became its own weekdaily show called The Pyramid Game which lasted until 1991, I think.).

There was a Gordon Burns hosted Password on weekday afternoons in the late eighties.

Neither of which really caught the imagination despite lasting several years in their slots.

Funnily enough, I'd be well up for a Pyramid Game revival right now.

Fedya

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 10:34:27 AM »
There was a German version of Pyramid on when I last visited my relatives in 1989.  If memory serves, the front game was like the US version, with the bonus round being like the Password Lightning round (I don't recall an actual Winners' Circle) -- except that since German is an agglutinative language, long compound words were used in the bonus round.

A google search revealed one photo of host Dieter Thomas Heck on the set

Edit: Heck is the person on the right.  I have no idea who's on the left.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 10:39:12 AM by Fedya »
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Clay Zambo

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 11:47:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 10:34 AM\'] ...except that since German is an agglutinative language,... [/quote]
 My vote for Word of the Day: "Agglutinative"...
czambo@mac.com

calliaume

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 11:58:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 12:26 AM\'] However, I've never heard anything about foreign versions of Password and Pyramid, two hugely successful games that I expect would work just as well in other languages.  Does anyone know whether they've had foreign incarnations? [/quote]
 When I was in Singapore on business six years ago, the one English-language station aired their own version of Pyramid back-to-back with the Pat-n-Vanna version of Wheel of Fortune.  Since no one made it to the top on the episodes I saw, I have no idea what the top prize was.

DrBear

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 10:47 AM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 10:34 AM\'] ...except that since German is an agglutinative language,... [/quote]
My vote for Word of the Day: "Agglutinative"... [/quote]
 OK, but what sort of clue do you give to get that?

And yes, there was a Brit Password  (except you had to pass on the right) as detailed at the fine UK Game Show Page.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

tommycharles

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 06:45:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 07:59 AM\'] Yes. Pyramide is kind of a Pyramid/Password hybrid, really.

There were British versions of Pyramid (starting out as part of a much larger Saturday Night Entertainment show were it was "The £1,000 Pyramid" which then became its own weekdaily show called The Pyramid Game which lasted until 1991, I think.).

There was a Gordon Burns hosted Password on weekday afternoons in the late eighties.

Neither of which really caught the imagination despite lasting several years in their slots.

Funnily enough, I'd be well up for a Pyramid Game revival right now. [/quote]
 If I remember correctly, there was NO BONUS for getting to the top of the pyramid in the weekday show, just the values of the trilons.

Jay Temple

Roberto Stewart
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 12:56:49 AM »
Wow.  I guess I'm just surprised, since WoF, J! and Russian Roulette have all aired clips of their foreign versions, and since Family Fortunes has at least appeared on U.S. TV specials, that Bob Stewart had never had his shows mention their foreign versions.

Imagining some categories from Pyramide:
50 F--Martini and Rossi, Riuniti
100 F--I was the original Nutty Professor, and you love me.
150 F--because you're getting kickbacks from the food-for-oil program
200 F--XIV, XVI
250 F--Tartuffe, Le Misanthrope
300 F--Danke schoen, Grazie
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.