Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: California Lottery's Big Spin Show Hosts  (Read 5500 times)

Terry K

California Lottery's Big Spin Show Hosts
« on: February 09, 2004, 02:42:09 AM »
On this weekend's edition of Big Spin, Pat Finn had Chuck Woolery on the show and showed a slide of him as the first host of the show in 1985.

We know that Geoff Edwards had it for a while, but who else had the honours?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 02:57:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 12:42 AM\'] On this weekend's edition of Big Spin, Pat Finn had Chuck Woolery on the show and showed a slide of him as the first host of the show in 1985.

We know that Geoff Edwards had it for a while, but who else had the honours? [/quote]
 Okay, lemme see if I can give you the list. In more-or-less chronological order:

Chuck Woolery
Geoff Edwards
Rich Hardaway (who hosted the Lotto drawings forever)
Larry Anderson
Maiquel (Suarez) Alejo
Jack Gallagher
Pat Finn

I feel like I'm missing some, but all of the above have been the primary host for at least one show. (Alejo has been co-host and interpreter for some time, but I'm pretty sure she did at least one show as the primary.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 03:56:43 AM »
And not mention for the new announcer on the show? Jeez, when I think of all the hours I slave over that hot microphone...   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

GSWitch

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 08:22:46 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 01:57 AM\'] Larry Anderson
 [/quote]
 I remember he also did...

1).  A Happy Days episode where he played a bully who was in a school play with Joanie & Chachi.  He caused trouble for Chachi.  That same episode had Erin Moran & Scott Baio sing "You Look At Me" which would later be the theme song to Joanie Loves Chachi.

2).  Played Lucy's son in law on Life With Lucy.  Aaron Spelling's only sitcom & Lucille Ball's last series (her first ABC show).

3).  Hosted the 1987 version of Truth or Consequences.

gshowman18

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 08:27:30 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 08:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 01:57 AM\'] Larry Anderson
 [/quote]

1).  A Happy Days episode where he played a bully who was in a school play with Joanie & Chachi.  He caused trouble for Chachi.  That same episode had Erin Moran & Scott Baio sing "You Look At Me" which would later be the theme song to Joanie Loves Chachi.

2).  Played Lucy's son in law on Life With Lucy.  Aaron Spelling's only sitcom & Lucille Ball's last series (her first ABC show).

3).  Hosted the 1987 version of Truth or Consequences. [/quote]
 Do you realize that this post has nothing to do with game shows at all?

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 08:45:34 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowman18\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 08:27 AM\']
3).  Hosted the 1987 version of Truth or Consequences. [/QUOTE]
Do you realize that this post has nothing to do with game shows at all? [/quote]
 What alternate dimension do you come from where TorC isn't a game show?

And besides, we talk about the lives of game show emcees and announcers outside the game all the time.

If this post ticked you off, you shoulda been there a few weeks ago for the awesome thread about game show personalities who did voices for cartoons...

So, in the future, if you feel the need to point out the shortcomings of the posts of others, please step back and think about what you were going to say, make sure it's something we would care about and remember that when you point out the supposed shortcomings of others, you invite harsher scrutiny upon yourself and your words.

Welcome to the board!
Joe Coughlin     
Human

zachhoran

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 09:56:31 AM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 08:22 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 01:57 AM\'] Larry Anderson
 [/quote]

3).  Hosted the 1987 version of Truth or Consequences. [/quote]
 You forgot to mention his hosting of GSN interactive shows, notably Trivia Track, c. 1997, and his stints on a few infomercials.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 11:42:49 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 01:56 AM\'] And not mention for the new announcer on the show? Jeez, when I think of all the hours I slave over that hot microphone...   ;-)
 [/quote]
 Sorry, Randy, I'm not in state, I don't get the show any more!

Congratulations on the new gig, tho :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

rugrats1

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 12:40:21 PM »

When I had a big dish, I used to watch The Big Spin every week, until they made the move from Sacramento to Los Angeles, when they switched from satellite to the old "tape-is-in-the-mail" method.

According to old TVG schedules that I have, I recall that KTLA, a superstation, once carried Big Spin, through the mid-1990s.

Anyone else out-of state seen the show "live" from their homes?

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 02:31:42 PM »

I see it, but I still don't get it!   ;-p

Congratulations on the new gig, tho :)

Thanks Chris! Keep up the fun posting   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2004, 06:27:28 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 12:40 PM\']

When I had a big dish, I used to watch The Big Spin every week, until they made the move from Sacramento to Los Angeles, when they switched from satellite to the old "tape-is-in-the-mail" method.

According to old TVG schedules that I have, I recall that KTLA, a superstation, once carried Big Spin, through the mid-1990s.

Anyone else out-of state seen the show "live" from their homes? [/quote]
Back in the late 80's when I was at my mom's house & nobody's home, I scanned the satellite dish just to see what was on Saturday nights.  Lucky for me I was able to pick it up off a satellite feed back then.  Not only did I watch The Big Spin, I also saw another lottery game show from Ohio called Cash Explosion.  There was also one from Oregon.  Anyone from that state know what that show was called?  It escapes me now.

gshowman18

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2004, 09:06:38 AM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 08:45 AM\'] [quote name=\'gshowman18\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 08:27 AM\']
3).  Hosted the 1987 version of Truth or Consequences. [/QUOTE]
Do you realize that this post has nothing to do with game shows at all? [/QUOTE]
What alternate dimension do you come from where TorC isn't a game show?

And besides, we talk about the lives of game show emcees and announcers outside the game all the time.

If this post ticked you off, you shoulda been there a few weeks ago for the awesome thread about game show personalities who did voices for cartoons...

So, in the future, if you feel the need to point out the shortcomings of the posts of others, please step back and think about what you were going to say, make sure it's something we would care about and remember that when you point out the supposed shortcomings of others, you invite harsher scrutiny upon yourself and your words.

Welcome to the board! [/quote]
 Listen, I know that Truth or Consequences is a game show, but the majority of what GSWitch said is not game-show related.  This just goes to show you that most of GSWitch's posts are so retarded, it's not even funny.

zachhoran

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 09:48:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 06:27 AM\']
Back in the late 80's when I was at my mom's house & nobody's home, I scanned the satellite dish just to see what was on Saturday nights.  Lucky for me I was able to pick it up off a satellite feed back then.  Not only did I watch The Big Spin, I also saw another lottery game show from Ohio called Cash Explosion.  There was also one from Oregon.  Anyone from that state know what that show was called?  It escapes me now. [/quote]
 Though not a lottery game show, one station in Portland, Oregon had a weekly Q&A game show that ran for a few years in the mid-late 80s called On the Spot. TV Game $how Magazine said in its December 1986 issue that stations in Seattle, SPokane, and Boise were in negotiations to air the show, whether they ever did I am not sure.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 09:50:49 AM »
[quote name=\'gshowman18\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 09:06 AM\'] the majority of what GSWitch said is not game-show related.  This just goes to show you that most of GSWitch's posts are so retarded, it's not even funny. [/quote]
 If you want to see stupid stupid posts, go to our former home, alt.tv.game-shows. GSWitch does make some unusual posts, certainly, but they're not nearly as bad as what you'll find in alt.tv.game-shows.

teamfx

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 03:18:11 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Feb 9 2004, 09:40 AM\']According to old TVG schedules that I have, I recall that KTLA, a superstation, once carried Big Spin, through the mid-1990s.[/quote]
That's odd.  I remember the show being aired locally on KTTV Fox 11 prior to their move to KCAL-TV in the mid 1990s.  KTLA did show the Super Lotto interstitials every Wednesday and Saturday Night around that time as well.

I take it that like Superstation WGN, some programming on KTLA 5 was/is altered for out-of-market viewers.