The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

<< < (6/17) > >>

Mr. Armadillo:

--- Quote from: TimK2003 on October 13, 2019, 02:22:15 PM ---A shot of Jack D. or Jim B. for each time Jon starts a HS question with, "You are a/an _________..  "

--- End quote ---
Just don't take a shot at Jm J.

whewfan:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on October 14, 2019, 01:19:32 PM ---
--- Quote from: calliaume on October 14, 2019, 09:32:56 AM ---Merrill Heatter was quoted in Jefferson Graham's book as saying the original Squares had the same problem - "the stars were hogging the camera."  He watched two shows in a row and there were 11 questions in each show.  When he came back from a business trip, he announced to the staff they would be getting in 22 questions per show (either by moving things along or by editing) going forward.

--- End quote ---
I wonder how much Buddy Hackett played into this? When I watched some of the nighttime episodes, his hamming it up for the camera got old quickly.

--- End quote ---

Buddy did tend to talk out of turn a lot, and sometimes Peter did intervene and remind him that they have to keep things moving. Buddy also got in trouble for getting too many questions right. Even though the stars are never told the questions, only its subjects, Buddy did a fair amount of research and reading on the subjects because he wanted to get the answers right. He was noticeably absent during the end credits for one episode because he was talking to the producers about a question they got wrong, and insisted he was right. In any case, I don't think he made that many appearances after 1968. In Peter's book, he said that Buddy was at times irritable. One time Eva Gabor came on the show, and during a dinner break with the celebs, she brought her dog. Buddy hates dogs, and he chastised her for bringing her dog to the table. Buddy Hackett was also reportedly the only celeb Carol Burnett had on her show that Carol regretted having on, as he was very rude and difficult behind the scenes.

Eric Paddon:
Buddy also I think got himself blacklisted from Password because there are a couple night Passwords where he starts taunting the opposing team contestant and at least once I can see Allen getting very irritated or uncomfortable.

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote from: Trisscope on October 16, 2019, 11:06:10 PM ---Take a gulp every time NBC gets referenced, whether it's a TV show that aired on it or a joke about the commissary.

/Seriously, how is it this pervasive?
--- End quote ---

If you're asking why jokes about the commissary are pervasive, we have Johnny Carson to thank for that.  In today's fractured TV universe, it's impossible to overstate Carson's influence on popular culture. If he decided something was worth making jokes about, then everybody else did too.  Even if it was a simple workplace cafeteria that 99.99% of the country would never see.

/I once had lunch with David Ruprecht in the NBC commissary.

JMFabiano:
Sip every time Jon refers to winnings as "Smacker(oo)s"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version