The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

<< < (7/17) > >>

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote from: JMFabiano on October 15, 2019, 10:56:19 PM ---No wonder Leonard Frey appeared within 3-4 weeks of the run...it was the only place where people cared about Mr. Smith. 
--- End quote ---

Thank you!  I caught only the Super Match last night, for which the audience match was [BLANK] SMITH.  MISTER was the top answer, and for the life of me, all I could think of was the Jimmy Stewart movie, plus I had no idea why Leonard Frey got all excited when he hadn't been one of the three celebrities offering answers.  It all make SO much more sense now.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: Matt Ottinger on October 17, 2019, 01:00:54 PM ---/I once had lunch with David Ruprecht in the NBC commissary.

--- End quote ---

Just because I don’t get to bring this up as often as I’d like, I had lunch with Bob Newhart in the Paramount commissary. Game show related: Howie Mandel came up to the table and I shook his hand. I assume I’m not the cause of his OCD.

PYLdude:
Does 80s fashion include ugly sweater vests? If not, take one each time Jon wears one.

I've been to the ABC Lincoln Square commissary multiple times. Never actually ate there but that's where all their auditions take place.

I always trip going through the metal detector...why I don't know.

MSTieScott:

--- Quote from: Matt Ottinger on October 17, 2019, 05:06:09 PM ---I caught only the Super Match last night, for which the audience match was [BLANK] SMITH.  MISTER was the top answer,

--- End quote ---

At which point I really started to wonder: How? Until two and a half weeks ago, I had no idea this television series ever existed, but in the fall of 1983, it was so at the forefront of the studio audience's mind that it was the most frequently given response. And it was a punchline that everybody understood during not just one, but multiple Match Game questions. How can a TV show be so unpopular that it was off the air in less than three months but so ubiquitous that these celebrities won't stop referencing it?

gamed121683:
Ah, Mr. Smith...The Hello, Larry of 1983 NBC. Then again, I believe all of NBC’s shows that debuted that fall failed to see the following season. The premise was lame, but I’m sure Tartikoff picked it up more for the pedigree that was behind the scenes (“They created Taxi, what could go wrong?”) or...maybe he liked talking furry characters. That might explain how we ended up with ALF three years later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version