The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

<< < (9/17) > >>

Adam Nedeff:

--- Quote from: aaron sica on October 18, 2019, 01:34:12 PM ---Aside from the video wall, the set always seemed rather barren to me

--- End quote ---
What bothers me about the set is that there's NO continuity to it. If you found someone with no prior familiarity, and showed them a picture of the contestant area for Match Game, the contestant area for Hollywood Squares, the Super Match board, and the panel, I don't think that person would pick up that they were from the same show. It's kind of akin to the set of The Price is Right during Barker's final year, when the set was a bunch of different ideas implemented at different times, and they didn't belong together.

JakeT:

--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on October 18, 2019, 07:07:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: aaron sica on October 18, 2019, 01:34:12 PM ---Aside from the video wall, the set always seemed rather barren to me

--- End quote ---
What bothers me about the set is that there's NO continuity to it. If you found someone with no prior familiarity, and showed them a picture of the contestant area for Match Game, the contestant area for Hollywood Squares, the Super Match board, and the panel, I don't think that person would pick up that they were from the same show. It's kind of akin to the set of The Price is Right during Barker's final year, when the set was a bunch of different ideas implemented at different times, and they didn't belong together.

--- End quote ---

For me, the color scheme was just totally wonky...dark blue/yellow video wall, light blue/white celeb area and then those god-awful colors of the contestant/Super Match area...lack of continuity is putting it mildly...it's like someone said, "Remember the acid trip dream of the '68 TTTT set?  Let's come up with a combo that's even more vomit-inducing, yet modern..."

JakeT

Eric Paddon:

--- Quote from: JakeT on October 18, 2019, 06:50:08 PM ---Is it really that ironic?  Keep in mind that Bud Collyer hosted BtC for 11 years on two different networks, both daytime and nighttime...Gene Wood only hosted for 2 years in syndication and it was likely unaired in a number of markets...
JakeT

--- End quote ---

Well keep in mind that two of the people on stage appeared on BTC when Gene hosted it.

JakeT:

--- Quote from: Eric Paddon on October 18, 2019, 08:04:11 PM ---
--- Quote from: JakeT on October 18, 2019, 06:50:08 PM ---Is it really that ironic?  Keep in mind that Bud Collyer hosted BtC for 11 years on two different networks, both daytime and nighttime...Gene Wood only hosted for 2 years in syndication and it was likely unaired in a number of markets...
JakeT

--- End quote ---

Well keep in mind that two of the people on stage appeared on BTC when Gene hosted it.

--- End quote ---

Then doesn't that lend further to the forgetability of his version?  If those who actually appeared on it didn't remember it, what is the likelihood of others to recall it?

JakeT

Eric Paddon:
The very fact a former host of the show was on the set during that question and with the answers being given is something that I think is worth pointing out. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version