The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

<< < (10/17) > >>

PYLdude:

--- Quote from: Eric Paddon on October 18, 2019, 09:57:38 PM ---The very fact a former host of the show was on the set during that question and with the answers being given is something that I think is worth pointing out. 

--- End quote ---

Who in 1983 is going to remember Gene Wood hosted any game show, much less Beat the Clock?

JakeT:

--- Quote from: PYLdude on October 18, 2019, 10:31:29 PM ---
--- Quote from: Eric Paddon on October 18, 2019, 09:57:38 PM ---The very fact a former host of the show was on the set during that question and with the answers being given is something that I think is worth pointing out. 

--- End quote ---

Who in 1983 is going to remember Gene Wood hosted any game show, much less Beat the Clock?

--- End quote ---

Especially one taped in Canada and (his version) only syndicated for two years a decade before...

But it has now been pointed out...if only we could get into the Wayback machine and correct the injustice done at the time...

JakeT

JMFabiano:

--- Quote from: JakeT on October 18, 2019, 06:50:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Eric Paddon on October 18, 2019, 12:09:00 PM ---What was really ironic though was that in the MG portion of the show a "Beat The Clock" question came up.    "He was so mean when he went on Beat the Clock and lost, he took a stick and beat the BLANK."   Six answer match with "host" and two answers referenced Bud Collyer but no one knew that a more recent former host was in the same room doing the announcing!

--- End quote ---

Is it really that ironic?  Keep in mind that Bud Collyer hosted BtC for 11 years on two different networks, both daytime and nighttime...Gene Wood only hosted for 2 years in syndication and it was likely unaired in a number of markets...

JakeT

--- End quote ---

I blame Alanis Morissette for forever warping the definition of that word...

JMFabiano:

--- Quote from: JakeT on October 18, 2019, 07:43:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on October 18, 2019, 07:07:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: aaron sica on October 18, 2019, 01:34:12 PM ---Aside from the video wall, the set always seemed rather barren to me

--- End quote ---
What bothers me about the set is that there's NO continuity to it. If you found someone with no prior familiarity, and showed them a picture of the contestant area for Match Game, the contestant area for Hollywood Squares, the Super Match board, and the panel, I don't think that person would pick up that they were from the same show. It's kind of akin to the set of The Price is Right during Barker's final year, when the set was a bunch of different ideas implemented at different times, and they didn't belong together.

--- End quote ---

For me, the color scheme was just totally wonky...dark blue/yellow video wall, light blue/white celeb area and then those god-awful colors of the contestant/Super Match area...lack of continuity is putting it mildly...it's like someone said, "Remember the acid trip dream of the '68 TTTT set?  Let's come up with a combo that's even more vomit-inducing, yet modern..."

JakeT

--- End quote ---

Think the contestant area(s) were once described as looking like some kid took his Legos and built them.   I'd say moreso with the Squares area, with its blocky podiums and primary colors.  Would it have helped if there were more grays as seen in what we know of the pilot's set?   Brings to mind the original HS set (gray contestants/host area, grid with a blue background), yet it might seem a bit colder.   

And while the HS panel through the magic of the TV cameras looked impressive for not really being a true grid/a tall structure, when it was just the MG panel was when its true dinky nature was exposed. 

As I assume the show was pre-empted for Thanksgiving, we are on to a new panel.  Yay, more Fred Travalena. 

Should I be impressed that my mom walked in and recognized Jon as Bowzer without his greaser look? 

Eric Paddon:

--- Quote from: PYLdude on October 18, 2019, 10:31:29 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I was 14 years old and even *I* knew then.   Sheesh, a simple observation sure brings out the jerk in a lot of people at this place (though with one person it's been constant for the 20 years I've had the misfortune of seeing his name at these forums).   Goodbye and good riddance to bad rubbish.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version