The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

<< < (11/17) > >>

aaron sica:

--- Quote from: JMFabiano on October 18, 2019, 11:15:18 PM ---As I assume the show was pre-empted for Thanksgiving, we are on to a new panel.  Yay, more Fred Travalena. 

--- End quote ---

In checking old newspaper archives, yes - Thanksgiving 1983's show was pre-empted for an NFL game. It did air the day after Thanksgiving - nothing was pre-empted then.

aaron sica:

--- Quote from: Eric Paddon on October 18, 2019, 11:32:21 PM ---I was 14 years old and even *I* knew then.   

--- End quote ---

At the time of MG/HS airing (I was 9), I know who he was *and* also would have gotten the Beat The Clock reference (my first recollection of that show was the Monty Hall version). Of course, you could make the case that what 9 year olds would know that...I don't think any of my friends were as into game shows as myself...:P

JMFabiano:

--- Quote from: aaron sica on October 19, 2019, 07:46:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: Eric Paddon on October 18, 2019, 11:32:21 PM ---I was 14 years old and even *I* knew then.   

--- End quote ---

At the time of MG/HS airing (I was 9), I know who he was *and* also would have gotten the Beat The Clock reference (my first recollection of that show was the Monty Hall version). Of course, you could make the case that what 9 year olds would know that...I don't think any of my friends were as into game shows as myself...:P

--- End quote ---

Closest thing I knew of to BTC as a kid was Beat the Time from Sesame Street.  My earliest memories of the genre came from 1979-1980 (I was 2 going on 3).  Even so, don't recall my parents watching the Hall version (they did watch Whew! however, which was around for part of ANBTC's run of course)

TimK2003:

--- Quote from: JakeT on October 18, 2019, 07:43:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: Adam Nedeff on October 18, 2019, 07:07:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: aaron sica on October 18, 2019, 01:34:12 PM ---Aside from the video wall, the set always seemed rather barren to me

--- End quote ---
What bothers me about the set is that there's NO continuity to it. If you found someone with no prior familiarity, and showed them a picture of the contestant area for Match Game, the contestant area for Hollywood Squares, the Super Match board, and the panel, I don't think that person would pick up that they were from the same show. It's kind of akin to the set of The Price is Right during Barker's final year, when the set was a bunch of different ideas implemented at different times, and they didn't belong together.

--- End quote ---

For me, the color scheme was just totally wonky...dark blue/yellow video wall, light blue/white celeb area and then those god-awful colors of the contestant/Super Match area...lack of continuity is putting it mildly...it's like someone said, "Remember the acid trip dream of the '68 TTTT set?  Let's come up with a combo that's even more vomit-inducing, yet modern..."

JakeT

--- End quote ---

When I see the HS contestant set, I keep thinking it was derived from a scaled-down prototype made out of Legos.

Mark McNeil:

--- Quote from: Matt Ottinger on October 18, 2019, 11:31:15 AM ---
Ryan Rinkerman posted on Facebook four examples in the fairly brief run of the series to date where the Super Match answer could be the name of a current NBC show. (The others were KNIGHT ___, REAL___ and ___ BLUES.)  Lo and behold, every single time, the top answer was, in fact, the NBC series.  Draw whatever conclusions you like.

--- End quote ---

_____ BLUES. "Hill Street" or "Bay City"?  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version