The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Drinking Game

<< < (13/17) > >>

calliaume:
"[Mark] Goodson likes bright primary colors.  Thank God he likes green." - Jim Agazzi.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on October 21, 2019, 01:25:57 PM ---That’s my point. For all they paid for the giant wall, they could have just done static backdrops and graphics.

Even past the set not having pieces that looked like they came from the same show, the color schemes they used didn’t match at all. There’s a green and yellow set of podiums, a red, yellow and blue set of podiums, a gradient blue panel piece, nameplates with an orange border, and a shiny black floor. I’m not an interior designer, but it felt like the colors were chosen without any consideration to the theme as a whole.

--- End quote ---
I've been thinking this too. I'm sure it looked great in 1983, but you have a massive wall that was used for <10 of the 45 minutes of airtime, if that. I'm not counting the green and gold pattern used during the MG portion. Like you said, just have a static backdrop with that design, maybe with blue and gold to fit the color scheme. Put that on a turntable that rotates for the HS game.

The Super Match jackpot could've easily been displayed on an eggcrate tote like the 70s version.

/Dennis Roof had a much better design with Davidson's HS

JMFabiano:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on October 21, 2019, 01:25:57 PM ---That’s my point. For all they paid for the giant wall, they could have just done static backdrops and graphics.

Even past the set not having pieces that looked like they came from the same show, the color schemes they used didn’t match at all. There’s a green and yellow set of podiums, a red, yellow and blue set of podiums, a gradient blue panel piece, nameplates with an orange border, and a shiny black floor. I’m not an interior designer, but it felt like the colors were chosen without any consideration to the theme as a whole.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's kind of like a stage show rather than an actual TV production. 

I'd guess they felt it didn't matter when they got to HS, as you just mostly see the contestant area head-on, and the panel head-on.  But you know, Match Game...

Question: how often, on the Marshall version, did we see what was between the squares and the contestant/host area? 

Mike Tennant:
MG and HS are comedy game shows, and as such, they should have bright, colorful sets. The dark set with the giant wall, while impressive, really belongs on a more serious show. I do still like the tier that slides in for HS. The contestant areas don't bother me, though it would probably be possible to make one suffice for both segments.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: JMFabiano on October 21, 2019, 03:26:31 PM ---Question: how often, on the Marshall version, did we see what was between the squares and the contestant/host area?

--- End quote ---
I imagine never. You never even saw a wide shot of the set the way you did on subsequent versions. But, I believe that was due to staging; IIRC, the board directly faced the contestant area, as opposed to being about 90-degrees from Davidson and Bergeron.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version