Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Show Contestants and Employment  (Read 2833 times)

Alex K

Game Show Contestants and Employment
« on: February 10, 2004, 02:18:28 AM »
As you all know, when people appear on Jeopardy! and Millionaire as contestants, these people's occupations are revealed. Occasionally, Millionaire has had unemployed contestants. The fact that a contestant is unemployed is always revealed.

OK, here is my problem.

I have been unemployed for 3 years. I am a computer programmer and am unemployed because of the dot-com crash and the overall bad economy.

If I appear on Millionaire or Jeopardy!, I have to reveal that I am unemployed so that the producers of these shows know that I do not work for any organization that has a connection to these shows.

However, can I ask the producers to avoid revealing on the air that I am unemployed? Or, can I ask the producers to avoid revealing on the air HOW LONG I have been unemployed?

I am concerned that, if I lose and people know how long I have been unemployed, I will be humiliated. If people do not know about my employment situation, then losing will not be so humiliating. Of course, if I win lots of money, then who cares what people know about my employment situation?

By the way, I am 30 years old.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 02:55:13 AM »
You could request that the information on your employment status be kept secret unless you bring it up.  If it does come up, just say you're between jobs and looking for your next opportunity.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 03:02:36 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bttritle

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 04:35:32 AM »
[quote name=\'Alex K\' date=\'Feb 10 2004, 02:18 AM\'] OK, here is my problem.

I have been unemployed for 3 years. I am a computer programmer and am unemployed because of the dot-com crash and the overall bad economy.

However, can I ask the producers to avoid revealing on the air that I am unemployed? Or, can I ask the producers to avoid revealing on the air HOW LONG I have been unemployed? [/quote]
 It's not as problematic a situation as you think.  If you are, by trade, a computer programmer, then that is how you should list yourself.  The fact that you are currently unemployed is only pertinent with regard to what you said, that you don't have a connection with the show.

No worries.

Ben T.

MCArroyo1

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:04:27 AM »
Wasn't Brad Rutter out of a job (or between jobs) when he appeared on Jeopardy?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 10:49:01 AM »
When you think about it, how many celebrities have game shows used over the years who would have to give as their occupation "unemployed actor"? Or for that matter, "Social Security recipient"?

ChuckNet

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:36:53 PM »
When I was out of work in '01, I just told them at my WL audition that I did some "freelance video production", which really wasn't a lie.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")