Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Feud SFX  (Read 3416 times)

Particleman

Feud SFX
« on: February 12, 2004, 09:23:04 PM »
Were sound effects pre-recorded and played on cue or were the actual sound devices on location?  

Saw an interesting problem with sound effects on Dawson's Feud today.  When Richard called the numbers for the remaining answers, the bell kept ringing like crazy at odd times.  It sounded as if they were trying to stop the bell from ringing by grabbing it rather than cutting off some recording.  Listen for Richard to say "number three."

Check it out here.  It's quite amusing to listen to:

http://www.katymae.com/bellmalfunctionsample.wav

TV Favorites

Feud SFX
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 09:24:53 PM »
The link doesn't work.

Particleman

Feud SFX
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 10:21:45 PM »
Sorry, it works now.

byrd62

Feud SFX
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 04:34:59 AM »
[quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 09:23 PM\']Were sound effects pre-recorded and played on cue or were the actual sound devices on location? 

Saw an interesting problem with sound effects on Dawson's Feud today.  When Richard called the numbers for the remaining answers, the bell kept ringing like crazy at odd times.  It sounded as if they were trying to stop the bell from ringing by grabbing it rather than cutting off some recording.  Listen for Richard to say "number three."

[/quote]
Sounded like a "live sound effect" to me.

Craig Karlberg

Feud SFX
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 04:41:55 AM »
Gee I wonder if DING! somebody fell asleep DING! at the control box DING! when they played that DING! sound effect DING!

daveromanjr

Feud SFX
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 06:25:34 AM »
I remember a Dawson episode where every SFX would repeats numerous times.  The clang would go like 5 times everytime there was an answer and the face off ring in kept repeating too, if I recall correctly.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Feud SFX
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 07:23:09 AM »
The bell was probably on a Mackenzie or NAB [probably the latter, since ABC mainly used NAB] cartridge, and they had problems with the machine.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Particleman

Feud SFX
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 11:21:28 AM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 06:25 AM\'] I remember a Dawson episode where every SFX would repeats numerous times.  The clang would go like 5 times everytime there was an answer and the face off ring in kept repeating too, if I recall correctly. [/quote]
 I saw something kind of like that once.  All SFX were pitched way too high.  Though the bell rung when it was supposed to, the face-off podium sound went nuts.  I probably have audio from this too somewhere if anyone's interested.

Anyway, the pitch being incorrect seems consistant with a recording.  The sound the bell made in my recording doesn't as it sounds like someone grabbed the bell to stop it short.  I think if it had been a recording, the sound would have suddenly stopped instead of tapering off.  Does that make sense?

uncamark

Feud SFX
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 01:13:16 PM »
The on-the-board chime almost always sounded canned to me, whether it was on "Showoffs" or on "Feud."  The only SFX from those shows that ever sounded live to me all the time was the steal conference over/repeat answer buzzer, because it didn't make exactly the same sound for the exact length of time all the time--although I've now tended to believe that perhaps the win bell was live, only because it did resonate when stopped instead of just dropping out.

daveromanjr

Feud SFX
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 04:34:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 01:13 PM\'] The on-the-board chime almost always sounded canned to me, whether it was on "Showoffs" or on "Feud."  The only SFX from those shows that ever sounded live to me all the time was the steal conference over/repeat answer buzzer, because it didn't make exactly the same sound for the exact length of time all the time--although I've now tended to believe that perhaps the win bell was live, only because it did resonate when stopped instead of just dropping out. [/quote]
 I thought the bell for the "15/20/25 seconds on the clock" was live, too for the same reason.  Also, it sounds like a different strike to it (if that makes sense) when it is rung when a family gets points in the main game.

I always thought the on-the-board chime sounded VERY canned in the combs version.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Feud SFX
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 08:53:32 AM »
The Fast Money "duplicate answer" buzzer was practical and was controlled by Howard Felsher by union waiver.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 08:54:10 AM by chris319 »