Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Whammy!'s fate  (Read 2590 times)

tyshaun1

Whammy!'s fate
« on: February 11, 2004, 01:19:51 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about the future of Whammy!? We know GSN doesn't announcements on cancellations, but I figure someone on here (Mandel) might know otherwise.

Tyshaun

ITSBRY

Whammy!'s fate
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 02:21:55 PM »
[/QUOTE]Has anyone heard anything about the future of Whammy!?

I'm betting that we'll never hear one way or the other.  

I seriously doubt (with GSN's current strategy anyway) that W! will get another order and I hate to say that because I loved the show.  At the same time, I don't think GSN will officially declare any of the semi-successful originals "canceled" either...just in case they have to fall back on them when the reality crapola fails miserably--as I really believe it will.

It's sad really..."Lingo", "Russian Roulette", "Whammy" and even "Cram" are all decent shows that deserve a chance to develop further.  I think all of them improved with their 2nd seasons.  Heck, even though "Friend or Foe" is based on a pretty despicable concept, it had a rather interesting angle that was fun to watch at times.

I would imagine that it would all depend on the agreements GSN has made with the individual production companies, but would the producers be allowed to produce versions of these shows in syndication if GSN hasn't officially canceled them?

ITSBRY
itsbry@juno.com

uncamark

Whammy!'s fate
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 05:21:43 PM »
[quote name=\'ITSBRY\' date=\'Feb 11 2004, 02:21 PM\']I would imagine that it would all depend on the agreements GSN has made with the individual production companies, but would the producers be allowed to produce versions of these shows in syndication if GSN hasn't officially canceled them?[/quote]
Here's what we know:  GSN owns the copyrights on all of their 2002-present originals except "Russian Roulette," which is owned by Sony, and "Whammy!", which is owned by a "Game Show Enterprises" (which is probably a GSN/Fremantle joint venture).  "RR" and "Whammy!" probably could be produced elsewhere--unless GSN's contracts specifically give them exclusivity for a period of time.  The other shows, I have no idea.

TimK2003

Whammy!'s fate
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 07:46:19 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 05:21 PM\'] GSN owns the copyrights on all of their 2002-present originals except "Russian Roulette," which is owned by Sony, and "Whammy!", which is owned by a "Game Show Enterprises" (which is probably a GSN/Fremantle joint venture).  "RR" and "Whammy!" probably could be produced elsewhere--unless GSN's contracts specifically give them exclusivity for a period of time. [/quote]
 I would think that Lingo could jump networks as well, seeing that show was around for years in other parts of the globe before GSN picked it up, no?

uncamark

Whammy!'s fate
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 01:22:39 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 07:46 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 05:21 PM\'] GSN owns the copyrights on all of their 2002-present originals except "Russian Roulette," which is owned by Sony, and "Whammy!", which is owned by a "Game Show Enterprises" (which is probably a GSN/Fremantle joint venture).  "RR" and "Whammy!" probably could be produced elsewhere--unless GSN's contracts specifically give them exclusivity for a period of time. [/quote]
I would think that Lingo could jump networks as well, seeing that show was around for years in other parts of the globe before GSN picked it up, no?[/quote]
For now, though, GSN owns the copyright (and most likely the format license).  They could sell off the license if they wished.

itiparanoid13

Whammy!'s fate
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 02:57:41 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 07:46 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Feb 12 2004, 05:21 PM\'] GSN owns the copyrights on all of their 2002-present originals except "Russian Roulette," which is owned by Sony, and "Whammy!", which is owned by a "Game Show Enterprises" (which is probably a GSN/Fremantle joint venture).  "RR" and "Whammy!" probably could be produced elsewhere--unless GSN's contracts specifically give them exclusivity for a period of time. [/quote]
I would think that Lingo could jump networks as well, seeing that show was around for years in other parts of the globe before GSN picked it up, no? [/quote]
 I highly doubt Lingo would survive unless severe changes were made, mainly in budget.  And frankly, I just cant see a simple word game such as Lingo giving away ass loads of money.  The only shows i could see possibly going to a network are Russian Roulette and Cram (and note i dislike Cram but it would work with minor adjustments because of its outrageous game play and weird premise.)