Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Black GS Hosts and GS Producers  (Read 7888 times)

edholland83

Black GS Hosts and GS Producers
« on: February 13, 2004, 02:19:33 PM »
Since it's black history month and since I don't think anyone on the board has already asked this (no to my knowledge) other than Nipsey Russell, Spencer Christian & Clint Holmes, are there any other black game show hosts or producers that I have left out?

For those of you who don't know who Clint Holmes is, he is the moderator of the Honda Campus All Star Challenge, the HBCU version of College Bowl, he's only a moderator during the championship games, games we seem to fall short of every year. But this year it looks like my school is one of the favorites to win, but back to the topic at hand.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 02:20:28 PM by edholland83 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 02:23:30 PM »
[quote name=\'edholland83\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 02:19 PM\'] Since it's black history month and since I don't think anyone on the board has already asked this (no to my knowledge) other than Nipsey Russell, Spencer Christian & Clint Holmes, are there any other black game show hosts or producers that I have left out?

For those of you who don't know who Clint Holmes is, he is the moderator of the Honda Campus All Star Challenge, the HBCU version of College Bowl, he's only a moderator during the championship games, games we seem to fall short of every year. But this year it looks like my school is one of the favorites to win, but back to the topic at hand. [/quote]
Adam Wade-Musical Chairs
Lynn Swann-To Tell The Truth

Don't know of any producers right off-hand, other than shows that were on BET...also add Quincy Jones, if you want to include musicians.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 02:31:07 PM »
Ahmad Rashad did "Caesar's Challenge." Melvin and Mario Van Peebles did "Family Figures." John Salley and Randall Cunningham did for a short time. There are others from BET shows.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 02:33:19 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tyshaun1

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 02:38:32 PM »
Oddly enough, Nickelodeon has been the most accepting nework toward black hosts. They've had Phil Moore (Nick Arcade, You're On), Michael Carrington (Think Fast), and Robb Edward Morris (Make The Grade, 2nd season). TTBOMK, NBC has had 3, CBS 1 and ABC has never had a black emcee, correct?

Tyshaun
(who thinks Wayne Brady may break ABC's streak with Deal or No Deal, to be contined........)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 02:40:04 PM by tyshaun1 »

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2004, 02:45:38 PM »
The late Monteria Ivey [sp?] hosted Think Twice on PBS back in 1994.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2004, 02:57:54 PM »
While not a host per se, the late Lynne Thigpen played a co-hostish role on Where In The World Is Carmen Sandiego? as well.

And back to the living, I'm surprise we've skipped over The Cos on You Bet Yer Life! :)

And Karen Bryant was at the helm of Name That Video on VH-1.

Marc Curry on Don't Forget Your Toothbrush on Comedy Central...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 03:05:05 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2004, 03:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'edholland83\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 01:19 PM\'] For those of you who don't know who Clint Holmes is, he is the moderator of the Honda Campus All Star Challenge, the HBCU version of College Bowl, he's only a moderator during the championship games, games we seem to fall short of every year. But this year it looks like my school is one of the favorites to win, but back to the topic at hand. [/quote]
 Same Clint Holmes who did "Playground In My Mind", yes?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

tvrandywest

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 03:37:33 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 12:01 PM\'] Same Clint Holmes who did "Playground In My Mind", yes? [/quote]
Yes!

Now regularly appears at the Harrah's properties in Vegas.
And has a one man musical show show about his parents, his mixed heritage, and his childhood.

And the joke when I played "Playground In My Mind" on the radio was:
Clint Holmes.... isn't that the new housing development downtown?  ;-)

Warmup is my life!   ;-]

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 06:09:16 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 03:53:55 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 02:37 PM\'] And has a one man musical show show about his parents, his mixed heritage, and his childhood.

[/quote]
 That's right.  That show (I believe "Comfortable Shoes" was the name) played in Chicago a couple of years ago (without Holmes performing).  Sorry I didn't get to go out and see it then.

And the joke when I played "Playground In My Mind" on the radio was:
Clint Holmes.... isn't that the new housing development downtown?  ;-)

Warmup is my life!

You're no Howard Hoffman, but I'll give it a 9.  ;-)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 04:07:25 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 02:38 PM\'] Oddly enough, Nickelodeon has been the most accepting nework toward black hosts. They've had Phil Moore (Nick Arcade, You're On), Michael Carrington (Think Fast), and Robb Edward Morris (Make The Grade, 2nd season). TTBOMK, NBC has had 3, CBS 1 and ABC has never had a black emcee, correct?

Tyshaun
 [/quote]
 Sammy Davis Jr. hosted one question on Dawson's FF.  I think that was an ABC ep.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Winkfan

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 05:47:52 PM »
There's also Al Roker from Remember This on MSNBC; and he was nominated for an Emmy for that show to boot! Another is Gina St. John from Lifetime's Who Knows You Best.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Karen Valentine of the Big Board!'
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 05:49:20 PM by Winkfan »
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)

calliaume

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 05:50:33 PM »
Randall Cunningham hosted Scramble for a year (in syndication or on cable?).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 06:07:38 PM »
I can't think of a single black U.S. game show producer or director. Anyone?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 06:08:10 PM by chris319 »

tyshaun1

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 06:21:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 04:07 PM\'] [quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 02:38 PM\'] Oddly enough, Nickelodeon has been the most accepting nework toward black hosts. They've had Phil Moore (Nick Arcade, You're On), Michael Carrington (Think Fast), and Robb Edward Morris (Make The Grade, 2nd season). TTBOMK, NBC has had 3, CBS 1 and ABC has never had a black emcee, correct?

Tyshaun
 [/quote]
Sammy Davis Jr. hosted one question on Dawson's FF.  I think that was an ABC ep. [/quote]
1 question? I don't think we can count that as hosting a series..............

Now that I think about it, I can't recall very many (if any) staff on any show that was a minority, save for the host or announcer, and for announcers it's been Burton, Lynne Thigpen (technically), and, well, that's it.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 06:25:45 PM by tyshaun1 »

zachhoran

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 07:30:24 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 06:07 PM\'] I can't think of a single black U.S. game show producer or director. Anyone? [/quote]
 I can't outside of possibly the shows on BET. What did QUincy Jones produce, game show wise? I know he and David Salzman mentioned a revival of Name that Tune and also Treasure Hunt around 1996, but they never materialized. I don't think pilots were done for either.