Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twenty One question?  (Read 6365 times)

familyfeudfan

Twenty One question?
« on: February 13, 2004, 10:36:31 PM »
Why did they get rid of the band after a few episodes of Twenty one?

tvrandywest

Twenty One question?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 11:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Why did they get rid of the band after a few episodes of Twenty one? [/quote]
The same answer applies to most questions about TV... MONEY!!

The show performed well, but never got the ratings that were projected. Lower ratings = less income = lower budget.

It was Tom Scott and his group of studio players. Although the band played live (it was cool) they recorded all his original music for the show to assist in editing. The decision was made to just play the tracks. Tom did continue to get paid as the composer. Great guy with a lot of cool credits.

I intro'd Tom during the show's first warm-up by shaking my finger at him in mock shame, calling him a "two-timer". "Yes, the man is a two-timer and he's not ashamed of it. Ladies, he's a two-timer... a two time Grammy winner."

His interplay sold the bit. We kept it in.  ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 13, 2004, 11:24:56 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

familyfeudfan

Twenty One question?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:11:40 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 11:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Why did they get rid of the band after a few episodes of Twenty one? [/quote]
The same answer applies to most questions about TV... MONEY!!

The show performed well, but never got the ratings that were projected. Lower ratings = less income = lower budget.

It was Tom Scott and his group of studio players. Although the band played live (it was cool) they recorded all his original music for the show to assist in editing. The decision was made to just play the tracks. Tom did continue to get paid as the composer. Great guy with a lot of cool credits.

I intro'd Tom during the show's first warm-up by shaking my finger at him in mock shame, calling him a "two-timer". "Yes, the man is a two-timer and he's not ashamed of it. Ladies, he's a two-timer... a two time Grammy winner."

His interplay sold the bit. We kept it in.  ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
Is the theme song from 21 was great, is it available on the web, i Know that their was a clip on the old nbc web site but at the time i never thought to save it.

Randy, did you ever see in side of the isolation booth and if you did what was in their.

bttritle

Twenty One question?
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 03:17:18 AM »
That was the downside to being backstage nearly every bloody episode...I missed out on all those little nuances.

Ben T.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Twenty One question?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 06:29:35 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 09:24 PM\'] It was Tom Scott and his group of studio players. [/quote]
 Randy, that's the same Tom Scott that was Sajak's bandleader on CBS, was he not?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Twenty One question?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 07:29:35 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 06:29 AM\']
Randy, that's the same Tom Scott that was Sajak's bandleader on CBS, was he not? [/quote]
 It was the same Tom Scott.

DrBear

Twenty One question?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »
Thank you "Randy" :)
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

GSWitch

Twenty One question?
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2004, 12:55:05 PM »
If Twenty One had thought about using the band for musical questions (ala Jeopardy!'s Daily Double or Name That Tune), the band may have stuck around.

The Tom Scott Orchestra would've been great if they revived Name That Tune (LOL).

tvrandywest

Twenty One question?
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2004, 05:12:31 PM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 11:11 PM\'] Randy, did you ever see in side of the isolation booth and if you did what was in their. [/quote]
 Herb Stemple's sweaty handkerchief   ;-)

I tried to get those two models in the booth with me so their sceams of ecstasy wouldn't be heard.... (cough) Oh, is this mic on? (ahem)

Ben spent much more time in the booth than I did. Heavy doors, soundproofing on the walls, glass on an angle towards the floor to avoid glare. Flourescent lighting (not the same as you have in your kitchen). When the set was lit you couldn't see too much past Maury, barely to the from row of audience which was filled with others from the contestant pool. I remember headphones and a place to rest them. Was that monitor sreen IN the booth or in front of it? I just liked staring at the $2 mil CASH on the set each tape day!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

familyfeudfan

Twenty One question?
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2004, 05:56:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 05:12 PM\'][quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 11:11 PM\'] Randy, did you ever see in side of the isolation booth and if you did what was in their. [/quote]
Herb Stemple's sweaty handkerchief   ;-)

I tried to get those two models in the booth with me so their sceams of ecstasy wouldn't be heard.... (cough) Oh, is this mic on? (ahem)

Ben spent much more time in the booth than I did. Heavy doors, soundproofing on the walls, glass on an angle towards the floor to avoid glare. Flourescent lighting (not the same as you have in your kitchen). When the set was lit you couldn't see too much past Maury, barely to the from row of audience which was filled with others from the contestant pool. I remember headphones and a place to rest them. Was that monitor sreen IN the booth or in front of it? I just liked staring at the $2 mil CASH on the set each tape day!

Randy
tvrandywest.com[/quote]
So you mean that the glass angle was like that of the front side of a "V"

>V

Note :arrow pointing to sige of "V" that question is talking about.

Kevin Prather

Twenty One question?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2004, 06:53:59 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, Randy, but did you do a stint as announcer on 21?

byrd62

Twenty One question?
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2004, 07:14:19 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 06:53 PM\']Forgive my ignorance, Randy, but did you do a stint as announcer on 21?[/quote]
Maybe Randy might have known that John Cramer [also of Pyramid and a few other game shows] announced Twenty-One.

tvrandywest

Twenty One question?
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2004, 07:17:47 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 03:53 PM\'] Forgive my ignorance, Randy, but did you do a stint as announcer on 21? [/quote]
 Not ignorance, just higher priorities in your life!

I was the warm-up for all episodes 21. Got the tote bag and T-shirt to prove it   ;-)

I had done announce and warm-up on previous Phil Gurin shows and he liked my work. But I'm certainly not the best voice for the serious, dramatic style they chose for that show. Trivia: The original choice for announcer was Don LaFontaine. You've heard him a million times; Don is the archetype of the deep and a bit gritty, serious, almost snarling voice on movie trailers. He brings much of that same style to the many CBS drama promos he does (think "CSI", etc.) His is a fascinating story all his own that is OT.

Don couldn't be tied up in a TV studio for hours on end, so the search was on for a similar style right up to very near the first tape date. Although not right for me, I auditioned towards the very end in the same session as Ben Patrick Johnson (presently the voice of "Entertainment Tonight"). It went last minute to John Cramer who was a good choice. Our paths have crossed often partially because John does not do warm-up work.

Much of the 21 gang next went on to "Weakest Link". And now you know the rest of the story   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com

zachhoran

Twenty One question?
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2004, 07:24:11 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 12:55 PM\']
The Tom Scott Orchestra would've been great if they revived Name That Tune (LOL). [/quote]
 Yes they would have, but how is the band at doing recent ©rap and hip-hop and hard-edged hard rock.... Tommy Oliver admitted to having difficulty playing a few 80s tunes on the Lange NTT.

massman1

Twenty One question?
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 07:54:54 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 07:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 12:55 PM\']
The Tom Scott Orchestra would've been great if they revived Name That Tune (LOL). [/quote]
Yes they would have, but how is the band at doing recent İrap and hip-hop and hard-edged hard rock.... Tommy Oliver admitted to having difficulty playing a few 80s tunes on the Lange NTT. [/quote]
 You think that's bad - how about Kathie Lee having to sing (or, more accurately, rap) some of Eminem's lyrics?