Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Twenty One question?  (Read 5907 times)

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Twenty One question?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2004, 09:08:45 PM »
You think that's bad - how about Kathie Lee having to sing (or, more accurately, rap) some of Eminem's lyrics?

On Jimmy Kimmel's show, they played "Name that Tune or Else" on one of her shows as co-host. One of the songs she sang as the "la-la girl" was Snoop Dogg's "Gin and Juice." Makes the "Good Vibrations" thing look normal.

"Sippin' on la la la...laid back, with..."

Anyway, to make this post a bit more on-topic, one of the classic NTT clips they showed was her being introduced by Tom...by the wrong name. Kathie:"It's Kathie." Tom:"Oh, I'm sorry - KATHIE will be singing the..."

-Jason
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 09:09:18 PM by JasonA1 »
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

PeterMarshallFan

Twenty One question?
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2004, 09:09:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 08:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 12:55 PM\']
The Tom Scott Orchestra would've been great if they revived Name That Tune (LOL). [/quote]
Yes they would have, but how is the band at doing recent İrap and hip-hop and hard-edged hard rock.... Tommy Oliver admitted to having difficulty playing a few 80s tunes on the Lange NTT. [/quote]
 Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle?

GS Warehouse

Twenty One question?
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2004, 09:18:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 05:12 PM\'] I tried to get those two models in the booth with me so their sceams of ecstasy wouldn't be heard.... (cough) Oh, is this mic on? (ahem) [/quote]
 Is it just me, or are there a lot a dirty minds on this board this Saturday night?

Ben spent much more time in the booth than I did. Heavy doors, soundproofing on the walls, glass on an angle towards the floor to avoid glare. Flourescent lighting (not the same as you have in your kitchen). When the set was lit you couldn't see too much past Maury, barely to the from row of audience which was filled with others from the contestant pool. I remember headphones and a place to rest them. Was that monitor sreen IN the booth or in front of it?
I remember reading that there were two tape lines on the floor.  You step to the front line when it's your turn and the back line when it's your opponent's turn.  I believe this to prevent you from checking Maury out (not that kind of checking out!).

I just liked staring at the $2 mil CASH on the set each tape day!
Who wouldn't? :-)

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Twenty One question?
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2004, 09:22:36 PM »
>> Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle?
I know this by heart, since I do graphics at my school's TV studio [and therefore, have to put in copyright dates]. You hold down ALT, then on the number pad, type 0169 [while still holding down the ALT key, remember].

ObGameshows: The orchestra was one of the main reasons I watched Twenty-One.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

zachhoran

Twenty One question?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 09:24:48 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 09:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 08:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 12:55 PM\']
The Tom Scott Orchestra would've been great if they revived Name That Tune (LOL). [/quote]
Yes they would have, but how is the band at doing recent İrap and hip-hop and hard-edged hard rock.... Tommy Oliver admitted to having difficulty playing a few 80s tunes on the Lange NTT. [/quote]
Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle? [/quote]
 I put a lower-case c with a parentheses on either side. Don't know why it turned up like it did, though.

PeterMarshallFan

Twenty One question?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2004, 09:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 10:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 09:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 08:24 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 12:55 PM\']
Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle? [/quote]
I put a lower-case c with a parentheses on either side. Don't know why it turned up like it did, though. [/quote]
testing

İ

Odd....but now I can copyright stuff! :-D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 09:28:06 PM by PeterMarshallFan »

familyfeudfan

Twenty One question?
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2004, 09:49:04 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 11:24 PM\'][quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 13 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Why did they get rid of the band after a few episodes of Twenty one? [/quote]
The same answer applies to most questions about TV... MONEY!!

The show performed well, but never got the ratings that were projected. Lower ratings = less income = lower budget.

It was Tom Scott and his group of studio players. Although the band played live (it was cool) they recorded all his original music for the show to assist in editing. The decision was made to just play the tracks. Tom did continue to get paid as the composer. Great guy with a lot of cool credits.

I intro'd Tom during the show's first warm-up by shaking my finger at him in mock shame, calling him a "two-timer". "Yes, the man is a two-timer and he's not ashamed of it. Ladies, he's a two-timer... a two time Grammy winner."

His interplay sold the bit. We kept it in.  ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com[/quote]
Randy, Does Tom Scott have a website where you can listen to his music from Twenty One?

Kevin Prather

Twenty One question?
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2004, 10:21:59 PM »
Yah. That's automatic.

( c ) with no spaces = ©
( r ) with no spaces = ®
( tm ) with no spaces = (tm)

tvrandywest

Twenty One question?
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2004, 11:29:58 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 06:09 PM\'] Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle? [/quote]
(p)   <-----  p in a circle?

I remember reading that there were two tape lines on the floor. You step to the front line when it's your turn and the back line when it's your opponent's turn. I believe this to prevent you from checking Maury out (not that kind of checking out!).
Right! From the beginning they had the lighting right to keep the contestant from any chance at being coached from the audience. But it was noted that when Maury approached your booth when it was your turn to pick a point value for your question, it was potentially possible to get a sense of how the other player did just before you from Maury's body language. Thus, the lines.

The other S&P nightmare successfully addressed concerned what if the player started to take the headphones off too soon and/or the audio crew didn't have their act together concerning when they could resume feeding the program audio to the iso booth. Improperly handled there was the potential to hear the tail of the other contestant's applause following a correct answer. You might then potentially have useful information to help you in selecting your question.

As if that all isn't enough, sometimes the audience was so hot (boy that warm-up guy was good  ;-)  that their cheers and applause following an especially dramatic or important correct answer might potentially be audible through all the soundproofing and precautions (loud is loud). So applause sfx were mixed with the music played to the headphones. Wow, huh? I'm often glad I'm not a producer!

audience ---> \ booth
Good idea to illustrate the slant on the glass, FFfan!
It's gotta be that way or you'd be fighting the reflection of the overhead lights.

I don't know if Tom Scott has the 21 music posted. I doubt it. Visit LA, we'll meet, I'll play the music for 'ya in my car   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 11:43:16 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

GS Warehouse

Twenty One question?
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2004, 12:03:07 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 11:29 PM\'][quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 06:09 PM\'] Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle? [/quote]
(p)   <-----  p in a circle?[/quote]
Nope, it didn't show up that way on my screen.  OT question, but what the hey: just what does the P in a circle mean anyway?  I only see it on music recordings.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 12:03:33 AM by GS Warehouse »

familyfeudfan

Twenty One question?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2004, 12:20:47 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 11:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 06:09 PM\'] Way off topic, but how do you make the C inside the circle? [/quote]
(p)   <-----  p in a circle?

I remember reading that there were two tape lines on the floor. You step to the front line when it's your turn and the back line when it's your opponent's turn. I believe this to prevent you from checking Maury out (not that kind of checking out!).
Right! From the beginning they had the lighting right to keep the contestant from any chance at being coached from the audience. But it was noted that when Maury approached your booth when it was your turn to pick a point value for your question, it was potentially possible to get a sense of how the other player did just before you from Maury's body language. Thus, the lines.

The other S&P nightmare successfully addressed concerned what if the player started to take the headphones off too soon and/or the audio crew didn't have their act together concerning when they could resume feeding the program audio to the iso booth. Improperly handled there was the potential to hear the tail of the other contestant's applause following a correct answer. You might then potentially have useful information to help you in selecting your question.

As if that all isn't enough, sometimes the audience was so hot (boy that warm-up guy was good  ;-)  that their cheers and applause following an especially dramatic or important correct answer might potentially be audible through all the soundproofing and precautions (loud is loud). So applause sfx were mixed with the music played to the headphones. Wow, huh? I'm often glad I'm not a producer!

audience ---> \ booth
Good idea to illustrate the slant on the glass, FFfan!
It's gotta be that way or you'd be fighting the reflection of the overhead lights.

I don't know if Tom Scott has the 21 music posted. I doubt it. Visit LA, we'll meet, I'll play the music for 'ya in my car   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]
Well I could make a vacation out of it :)  but, wouldn't it be cheaper if you posted it on a theme song group at yahoo, the east coast is pretty far from the west coast.

Ps thanks for the info Randy, it will help a lot in the remake that I'm doing for my TV studio class. I never would have thought to slant the glass to avoid light reflection from the overhead lights in the studio.

bttritle

Twenty One question?
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2004, 04:21:47 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 02:12 PM\']
Ben spent much more time in the booth than I did. [/quote]
 Occasionally they let me out to do Jeopardy.  Nice representation of the slanted glass...

Ben T.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Twenty One question?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2004, 04:57:02 AM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'Feb 14 2004, 10:20 PM\'] but, wouldn't it be cheaper if you posted it on a theme song group at yahoo, the east coast is pretty far from the west coast.

[/quote]
 1) Yahoo groups suck for file archive.

2) Randy, having contacts and access that many of us could only hope to, is justifiably sensitive to issues of copyright and what not, and as such has said that he is not able to post his collection for public consumption.
I never would have thought to slant the glass to avoid light reflection from the overhead lights in the studio.
It would have occurred to you the first time you did a run-through and your cameramen were calling for your head on a stick 'cuz they couldn't get a shot. ;)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

carlopanno

Twenty One question?
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2004, 12:57:10 PM »
There were two problems with Twenty One, if you ask me.

1. Physical proportions of the set were wrong. The contsetants were lost in those great big booths. In the movie Quiz Show, the proportions of the booths were more human-sized. Also, they were too close together for their immense size: They could never get the doors to work right.

2. Tom Scott. I bow to no one in my appreciation of the guy as a player and composer, but on TV the guy's a jinx. Pat Sajak. Chevy Chase. (Okay, doomed from the start, but Scott was on that sinking ship too.) Twenty One. He's like Sam Waterston in the movies. Waterston is a great actor on stage (His interpretation of Hamlet was said to be one of the best in recent history) but his movies have tanked. I'm glad he found a home on TV on Law & Order.

My two cents.

--C
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 12:57:38 PM by carlopanno »

bttritle

Twenty One question?
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2004, 01:24:05 PM »
[quote name=\'carlopanno\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 09:57 AM\'] Also, they were too close together for their immense size: They could never get the doors to work right.

[/quote]
 How were they suppose to work?  From my vantage point, they worked every time.

Ben T.