Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid judging question....  (Read 7067 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid judging question....
« on: February 15, 2004, 05:25:40 AM »
Okay, me and TLEberle were talking, and we have a question.

The situation: Dick Clark 1980's Pyramid, front game. You are sitting at the judge's desk, your hand on the cuckoo.

The clue: A CRAYON

The celebrity says: "This is the product Crayola makes."

The question: Do you sound the cuckoo? Please add your reasoning.

Thanks!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 05:56:56 AM »
No, I wouldn't.

Crayola may contain "crayo" that is also in "crayon", but the two words are not forms of each other.

The judges may have felt that "Crayola" conveyed too much of the essence of the answer.

1978-Jeopardy

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 07:20:54 AM »
No, for the same reason whewfan said. I would be quite tough if I were a judge on the pyramid, however, and if they gave an illegal clue, I'd wait for them to climb the pyramid and buzz them when the win music starts playing ;)

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 10:53:39 AM »
Additionally, Crayola's products go beyond crayons; they also make markers, paints, chalk, etc. So if I were the judge, I would not sound the cuckoo on that one.

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004, 11:07:43 AM »
I couldn't begin to guess how that would be judged on the CURRENT Pyramid (RIP), but I can tell you from being in the booth at studio 33 in the 80s that within nanoseconds of the clue being given, David Michaels (who was Sande Stewart's judge on the show for sooooo many years) would have made a call that was certain to be consistent with past judgements.

I haven't seen David in years, but every time I have I always tell him how amazed I was watching him work. The speed and conviction with which he judged that show was something to behold; David exhibited a focus that now makes me think of Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman". And whenever I saw him work, David was always able to substantiate and defend his judgement on the tough calls to Sande, a notorious perfectionist.

David sat at the front of the control room (closest to the glass) and would shout "right, right, right..." during the front game accepting answers as correct, cueing the audio tech to play the proper sfx "ping".That whole show was poetry in motion with rarely a stopdown as they would regularly tape 10 episodes a day!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Fedya

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004, 11:11:18 AM »
I think I'd sound the cuckoo, because the "Cray" in "Crayola" gives away the essence of the word "crayon"

I don't think you'd get away with saying "A Band-Aid is a type of...." for "bandage".  This is no different.

Besides, I'm sure the judges were under orders from Bob Stewart to keep there from being perfect games whenever possible, since he didn't want to break the prize budget.  :-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

jrjgames

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2004, 11:31:41 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 15 2004, 05:25 AM\'] Okay, me and TLEberle were talking, and we have a question.

The situation: Dick Clark 1980's Pyramid, front game. You are sitting at the judge's desk, your hand on the cuckoo.

The clue: A CRAYON

The celebrity says: "This is the product Crayola makes."

The question: Do you sound the cuckoo? Please add your reasoning.

Thanks! [/quote]
 Ok, first of all, if youre the pyramid judge, get your hand off your cuckoo and pay attention dammit! :)

#2, my first thought was to buzz Crayola and Crayon would be like buzzing Kleenex for Tissue...but is Crayola too much of the word Crayon...tough one, but I would not have pressed the time release button on this one, my finger would have been on my ding!

John
jrjgames.com

inturnaround

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 01:02:57 PM »
Well, what if the WC category was "Departments in an Airline" and you said "Arrivals, Departures..." would you get cuckooed for Departures, too? (Lame example, but the only one my sleep deprived brain can conjure at the moment)
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Neumms

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 01:09:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Feb 15 2004, 11:11 AM\'] I don't think you'd get away with saying "A Band-Aid is a type of...." for "bandage".  This is no different.
 [/quote]
 I thought absolutely not, perhaps falling back on "Password" judging, that if the word was "grandmother," you can't say mother, but you can say grandfather. But the Band-Aid thing gives me pause. For some reason, the hyphen makes it worse.

I'd have cuckooed that but not Crayola, which probably now disallows me for any sort of judicial employment.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2004, 01:17:20 PM »
Isn't Crayola the Spanish word for Crayon?

dzinkin

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2004, 01:50:59 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Feb 15 2004, 01:17 PM\'] Isn't Crayola the Spanish word for Crayon? [/quote]
 No.  That would be creyón.

gameshowguy2000

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2004, 02:49:04 PM »
Here's what I'm thinking of:

WC category is "Famous Republicans"

Would I be buzzed for giving the following clues: "Current GOP President George W. Bush, Current GOP Governor Jeb Bush, etc., etc."?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 02:52:48 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 15 2004, 12:49 PM\'] Here's what I'm thinking of:

Would I be buzzed for giving the following clues: "Current GOP President George W. Bush, Current GOP Governor Jeb Bush, etc., etc."? [/quote]
 That probably depends on the judges mood that day. You could argue that GOP and Republican are synonymous. GOP, of course, meaning "Grand Old Party".

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 03:10:44 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 15 2004, 02:49 PM\'] Here's what I'm thinking of:

Would I be buzzed for giving the following clues: "Current GOP President George W. Bush, Current GOP Governor Jeb Bush, etc., etc."? [/quote]
 The GOP is a synonym for Republican.

Yes, you would.

Brandon Brooks

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 03:56:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 15 2004, 12:49 PM\'] Here's what I'm thinking of:

[/quote]
 1) Next time you think of something like that, how about doing it in a different thread? 'Cuz you just hijacked mine, and I don't appreciate it.
2) Yes, GOP is absolutely a synonym of "Republican." There isn't even the least question.
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\' Feb 15 2004, 09:07 AM\']David Michaels (who was Sande Stewart's judge on the show for sooooo many years) would have made a call that was certain to be consistent with past judgements.[/quote]
Hmm. You wouldn't happen to still have contact with David, would you? I could understand if you wouldn't want to say so out loud, because you'd probably be inundated with judging requests, but if you did, perhaps you could shoot me a private email....we're REALLY interested in knowing how this would fly... :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe