Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: New showcase podiums?  (Read 3994 times)

Casey Buck

New showcase podiums?
« on: February 17, 2004, 10:04:49 PM »
For the first time since 1985, it looks like the showcase podiums have quite a major change; now, the eggcrate readout is on top, and the "Showcase" placard is below the readout...weird.

BrandonFG

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 10:16:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 10:04 PM\'] For the first time since 1985, it looks like the showcase podiums have quite a major change; now, the eggcrate readout is on top, and the "Showcase" placard is below the readout...weird. [/quote]
I wonder what caused the change; some posters on golden-road's forum think that the photos are doctored. It's interesting, but I like it.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvmitch

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 11:06:51 PM »
Either very well-doctored or a terrible camera.
You should follow me on Twitter

rugrats1

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2004, 12:42:05 AM »
Taking a close look, the podiums do look computer-generated, though a quick glance may make one think that they're real.

And in case you didn't know, one person has a hobby of making computer-generated Price pictures, both mock-ups of the CBS and 1994 versions, plus improvements that he would like to see. See:

http://members.fortunecity.com/tnpir4000/

mandelweb

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2004, 02:03:41 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 10:16 PM\'][quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Feb 17 2004, 10:04 PM\'] For the first time since 1985, it looks like the showcase podiums have quite a major change; now, the eggcrate readout is on top, and the "Showcase" placard is below the readout...weird. [/quote]
I wonder what caused the change; some posters on golden-road's forum think that the photos are doctored. It's interesting, but I like it.[/quote]
Nope...Those are real.  I got confirmation last week from a staffer that the podiums did change.  They were introduced at the February 9th tapings, I believe.

- Mandel
http://mandelweb.com

tvrandywest

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2004, 03:22:51 AM »
Yep, they look good. The reason for the change???

With the readout higher on the podium Bob won't have to twist and stoop as awkwardly to read the display. Duh, this could have been done a decade ago!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

vote early and vote often!
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2004, 04:43:21 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 03:22 AM\'] Yep, they look good. The reason for the change???

With the readout higher on the podium Bob won't have to twist and stoop as awkwardly to read the display. Duh, this could have been done a decade ago!

Randy
tvrandywest.com

vote early and vote often! [/quote]
Thanks Randy.  Now I can see why they did it.  At least Bob won't have to worry about having a bad back just for stooping down to read the showcase bids.

nbuckler14

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 06:28:35 AM »
Ummm.... are the read-outs still able to hold 5 digits? (probably a stupid question)  I mean, they look like they're only able to hold 4 digits.
Nick Buckler, COME ON DOWN! You are the next poster on The Game Show Forum!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
New showcase podiums?
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2004, 07:36:16 AM »
With the readout higher on the podium Bob won't have to twist and stoop as awkwardly to read the display.
He'll find other things to stoop to.

zachhoran

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 07:46:47 AM »
[quote name=\'nbuckler14\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 06:28 AM\'] Ummm.... are the read-outs still able to hold 5 digits? (probably a stupid question)  I mean, they look like they're only able to hold 4 digits. [/quote]
 Yeah, the readouts can read five digits(although don't they use podiums with six-digit readouts for the primetime specials?)

cmjb13

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2004, 08:20:04 AM »
Why didn't they just raise the podium a bit? (I'll wait till the episodes air to judge and see the podiums for the first time then.)

Or keep the podium slanted like it was in the 80's.

Boy, they have changed a lot in 2+ years. Curtains, contestant's row, Turntable twice, Big doors.

Next thing you know the Goodson Flower power logos will disappear.

They better not touch those!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2004, 02:11:58 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

drmusic_99

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2004, 10:05:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 03:22 AM\'] Duh, this could have been done a decade ago!
 [/quote]
 I was going to say, it took Bob six thousand shows to decide the old setup was too hard to read? Anyway, the difference is so minor, I'm not going to be the one to pitch a fit about it.

Pyramid80

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2004, 12:21:19 PM »
I think the new podiums look pretty good.  I don't think that it is all that noticable to the average viewer.  Being the game show fans that we all are, it is something that we would probably notice right off.  I think they look nice, and if it helps Bob out, more power to them!

gameshowguy2000

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 02:08:37 PM »
I thought it was a mock-up. I think the current setup is better. Let's the viewers at home know who's got what showcase.

BrandonFG

New showcase podiums?
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 02:19:55 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 02:08 PM\'] I thought it was a mock-up. I think the current setup is better. Let's the viewers at home know who's got what showcase. [/quote]
 Um...I think the new setup is going to do the same thing. The colored "showcase" slots is where the placards will go, it's just underneath the eggcrate.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!