Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Super Millionaire's 50/50  (Read 3548 times)

BrentW

Super Millionaire's 50/50
« on: February 18, 2004, 06:32:02 PM »
I know on Meredith's Millionaire, she always makes a point of saying "Computer, randomly take away 2 of the wrong answers."  And a good deal of the time, the contestant is left with one obviously wrong answer, thus knowing the right answer.  However, I thought that on Regis' Millionaire, the 50/50 lifeline usage was PREDETERMINED (read: it seemed like after $1,000, if you used 50/50, you'd ALWAYS get the 2 answers you thought it was anyway...)

On Meredith's show, the 50/50 can be pretty powerful (as long as your luck is good).  On Regis' show, I thought 50/50 was useless (I didn't watch the late stages of its run as I was in Basic Training).  

So on the old Millionaire in the last season, and on this Super Millionaire, are the answers you'll be left with PREDETERMINED or are they truly randomized?  It makes a HELL of a difference...anyone in the know, know?  :)  Surely one of the previous Millionaire contestants had to have that question when they went thru the process...

I always remember hearing Regis say that no matter what the contestant said, it wouldn't influence 50/50.  THAT I agree with, but there's still a heck of a difference between random or not.

Bueller?  Anyone?

Brent

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 07:31:09 PM »
[quote name=\'BrentW\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 04:32 PM\'] I know on Meredith's Millionaire, she always makes a point of saying "Computer, randomly take away 2 of the wrong answers."  And a good deal of the time, the contestant is left with one obviously wrong answer, thus knowing the right answer.  However, I thought that on Regis' Millionaire, the 50/50 lifeline usage was PREDETERMINED
 [/quote]
 Correct on both counts.
So on the old Millionaire in the last season, and on this Super Millionaire, are the answers you'll be left with PREDETERMINED or are they truly randomized?
Regis was ALWAYS predetermined, Merideth has ALWAYS been random. No idea what this version will do as of yet.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

goongas

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 08:22:21 PM »
The official rules don't say.  I had looked for this.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 05:49:57 AM »
That's why I'm skeptical of the 50/50 lifeline in terms of randomness.  Maybe it's just me cuz that's the way I feel about it.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 06:18:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 03:49 AM\'] That's why I'm skeptical of the 50/50 lifeline in terms of randomness.  Maybe it's just me cuz that's the way I feel about it. [/quote]
 There is no "skeptical" about it, it's a perfectly reasonable question to make sure you ask (if we don't have an answer yet) if you make it onto the show, and I'm sure they will tell you, since they made a big deal out of the new "randomness" issue on the syndicated show. They either WILL or WILL NOT use a random system, and they will not hide which they decide to use.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

starcade

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 04:01:37 PM »
I don't know about Super, but the 50/50 on the original Regis was NOT random -- it was determined by the question-writers (probably to be the "closest" wrong answer...).

I remember this because I got a few funny looks from when I asked the people at Cal Adventure whether the Play It! 50-50's were Regis or Meredith rules...

BrentW

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 12:45:31 AM »
Well, from what Todd Kin said tonight, I guess we know the producers made a point of telling him it was RANDOM.  YAY!  :)  He just got a bit unlucky with it leaving those 2 answers...

Brent

tvmitch

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 12:06:56 PM »
The 50:50 is DEFINITELY random now. You'll see what I mean on tonight's episode.

I was at the show that airs tonight (taped last night) and I all I will say is set your VCRs. Two fantastic events happen on this episode. Even though the taping took 4 hours, it was well worth it. And free t-shirts all around.
You should follow me on Twitter