Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Rules for "$25,000 Pyramid"  (Read 8671 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Rules for "$25,000 Pyramid"
« on: February 18, 2004, 11:26:38 PM »
My group of friends gets together montly, and we typically play board games for a few hours, and it's a good time.  Most of the games are of the party variety, but there's only so much I can stand of "Time's Up" "25 Words or Less" or "Cranium" before it all gets old.

So, this time, we're going to play "$25,000 Pyramid."

Among the group, I'm the most well versed in the rules to the game, so I'll likely serve as judge.  The problem is, even though I know most of the rules well, if I don't have a rulesheet and stick to it, they're going to excrete a concrete brick.  Each.

Since I'd like to avoid that, I'm appealing to the masses.  If you remember any specific judging situations, I'd appreciate you adding them to the thread.  We all know the basic game, I don't need those.  If Endless Games left it out, and I didn't add it here, it's fair game.

Thanks to all,
Travis Eberle

If a team passes on a word, they may not return to it, even if they have finished the list and have time left.  If the Receiver says the word after passing, they score the point (don’t ring the bell in this instance).  

If the team finishes the list early, the Receiver can take any time remaining to try and get the words passed on, but the Clue Giver can’t prompt the Receiver at all.  

To score a point, the Receiver must say the word or phrase as written, minus leading articles.  

If the category consists of people’s names, the Receiver must say the full name to score the point.

If the Clue Giver does any of the following; the subject is void, and the team cannot win the grand prize:

Say any part of the subject (articles like ‘a’ ‘the’ and ‘an’ are OK.)

Use a prepositional phrase (“a sandwich with cheese on it” would be illegal, “a
cheese sandwich would be fine.)

Use your hands to gesture or suggest shapes.

Give overly long or descriptive clues. ()

Giving a clue that does not belong in the category.

In order to receive credit for a correct guess, the Receiver must give any keywords on the clue.  A word in parentheses can be said instead of on right before it.
Travis L. Eberle

Jay Temple

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 12:34:38 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 10:26 PM\'] If the team finishes the list early, the Receiver can take any time remaining to try and get the words passed on, but the Clue Giver can’t prompt the Receiver at all.[/quote]
They said it was so, but they never actually played it that way.

[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 10:26 PM\'] If the category consists of people’s names, the Receiver must say the full name to score the point.[/quote]

Unless stated otherwise, the last name was sufficient.  The two most notable exceptions:  (1) The defining trait has to do with the first name, such as having three letters.  (2) It has been established that all the people in the category have part of their name in common.  In that instance, either contestants are told either that they must say "the entire answer" or the full name is required for those people who have the common name as the complete last name.  For example, if it were people with "John" in their names, "Adams" would be enough for "John Adams," but you would have to come up with the entire answer "Elton John."
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 12:37:29 AM by Jay Temple »
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 08:31:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 19 2004, 12:34 AM\'][quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Feb 18 2004, 10:26 PM\'] If the team finishes the list early, the Receiver can take any time remaining to try and get the words passed on, but the Clue Giver can’t prompt the Receiver at all.[/quote]
They said it was so, but they never actually played it that way.[/quote]
They did play it that way, but only occasionally--usually when it was the last subject in a main game, and the team needed the passed word to tie or win. I found the lack of consistency in allowing the 30 seconds to play out every time very surprising for Pyramid.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin