Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Money Game  (Read 3054 times)

teddygrammm

Money Game
« on: February 20, 2004, 10:13:38 PM »
This is sort of an odd idea, but I was perusing the Money Game page on Brad Francini's GS Central, and I got to thinking...

Back in, let's say, the late 70s/early 80s, sometime when cars cost somewhere in the range of 4000, 6000 dollars or so, the possibilities for the first two digits of the car would be things like 45, 50, 55, or somewhere in that area. Now, though, with 5-digit cars, the first two digits generally do not exceed 20.

So anyway, the thing I got to wondering was if, because of this, non-winners of Money Game in the past took home a higher (albeit not by much) dollar amount than non-winners of today.

NOTE: if the above makes absolutely no sense, please feel free to ignore it.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Money Game
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 01:00:54 AM »
[quote name=\'teddygrammm\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 10:13 PM\'] This is sort of an odd idea, but I was perusing the Money Game page on Brad Francini's GS Central, and I got to thinking...

Back in, let's say, the late 70s/early 80s, sometime when cars cost somewhere in the range of 4000, 6000 dollars or so, the possibilities for the first two digits of the car would be things like 45, 50, 55, or somewhere in that area. Now, though, with 5-digit cars, the first two digits generally do not exceed 20.

So anyway, the thing I got to wondering was if, because of this, non-winners of Money Game in the past took home a higher (albeit not by much) dollar amount than non-winners of today.

NOTE: if the above makes absolutely no sense, please feel free to ignore it. [/quote]
 No, it makes perfect sense.

And they might have taken home a higher dollar amount--albeit a marginal one.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

Money Game
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 12:15:46 PM »
[quote name=\'teddygrammm\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 10:13 PM\']So anyway, the thing I got to wondering was if, because of this, non-winners of Money Game in the past took home a higher (albeit not by much) dollar amount than non-winners of today.[/quote]
Heck, forget likely digits--all you have to do is adjust for inflation, and your average Money Game player in the '80s is doing a lot better than one in the '00s.

Q: Money Game winners still get whatever cash they've accumulated before winning the car, right?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

JayC

Money Game
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 12:39:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Feb 21 2004, 12:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'teddygrammm\' date=\'Feb 20 2004, 10:13 PM\']So anyway, the thing I got to wondering was if, because of this, non-winners of Money Game in the past took home a higher (albeit not by much) dollar amount than non-winners of today.[/quote]
Heck, forget likely digits--all you have to do is adjust for inflation, and your average Money Game player in the '80s is doing a lot better than one in the '00s.

Q: Money Game winners still get whatever cash they've accumulated before winning the car, right? [/quote]
 Yes.

Gromit

Money Game
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 12:38:33 AM »
But money game is so damn easy, you should never leave with the cash anyway. :)

Front of the car is always one of two or three choices, and back of the car is always one of the lowest numbers ending in 0 or 5. Start at the lowest one and work your way up, I haven't lost this game in months when playing along.

Craig Karlberg

Money Game
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 05:16:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Gromit\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 12:38 AM\'] But money game is so damn easy, you should never leave with the cash anyway. :)

Front of the car is always one of two or three choices, and back of the car is always one of the lowest numbers ending in 0 or 5. Start at the lowest one and work your way up, I haven't lost this game in months when playing along. [/quote]
That's a good strategy, but many TPIR contestants(95%) tend to forgo that strategy & go high which rarely works.

Jay Temple

Money Game
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 09:50:19 PM »
It works just fine for the prize budget!

Now that most cars have five digits, how do they play the Money Game?  (Or do they?)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

zachhoran

Money Game
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 09:55:08 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 09:50 PM\'] It works just fine for the prize budget!

Now that most cars have five digits, how do they play the Money Game?  (Or do they?) [/quote]
 Yeah, they still play the MOney Game. The middle digit is given at the outset to accommodate five digit cars. Back in the mid 80s, the game would be called Big Money Game if played for five digit cars, and back then, the last digit was given at the outset.

GS Warehouse

Money Game
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 11:41:48 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 09:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 09:50 PM\']Now that most cars have five digits, how do they play the Money Game?  (Or do they?) [/quote]
Yeah, they still play the MOney Game. The middle digit is given at the outset to accommodate five digit cars. ... [/quote]
I could just imagine by the end of the decade, inflation would lead to Money Game being played for a six-digit prize!  Just pick the first three numbers and the last three numbers...or you can still pocket a couple thousand dollars.  (Then again, it'll still be two-digit numbers, then you'd pick first two, middle two, and last two numbers or still end up with a couple hundred dollars.)

It works just fine for the prize budget!
Which brings me to the Play of the Day: the new contestant coordinators picking today's contestants.  Just find more inept and/or unlucky contestants and they'll have to worry about going over budget again.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 11:42:30 PM by GS Warehouse »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Money Game
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2004, 07:56:31 PM »
I believe the money is won only if the car is not won, IOW it is merely a consolation prize.

zachhoran

Money Game
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2004, 07:59:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 24 2004, 07:56 PM\'] I believe the money is won only if the car is not won, IOW it is merely a consolation prize. [/quote]
 The money is and always was won whether or not the car is won in MOney Game

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Money Game
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 09:50:36 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 24 2004, 05:59 PM\'] [quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Feb 24 2004, 07:56 PM\'] I believe the money is won only if the car is not won, IOW it is merely a consolation prize. [/quote]
The money is and always was won whether or not the car is won in MOney Game [/quote]
 Hmm. Whom to believe? I know.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

Money Game
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2004, 06:00:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Feb 24 2004, 09:50 PM\']Hmm. Whom to believe? I know.[/quote]
Well, out of that statistical sample, sure.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

inturnaround

Money Game
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2004, 06:08:50 PM »
Well, according the the CBS TPiR website, Zach is absolutely correct. The money is awarded even if the car is won.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:09:12 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Money Game
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 09:12:52 PM »
[quote name=\'inturnaround\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 04:08 PM\'] Well, according the the CBS TPiR website, Zach is absolutely correct. The money is awarded even if the car is won. [/quote]
 Well, whaddaya know. All I can say is that even a broken watch is right twice a day.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe