Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Cash Explosion  (Read 4626 times)

MaryM7643

Cash Explosion
« on: February 21, 2004, 07:37:29 PM »
I just turned on Cash Explosion, what happened to Sharon and Paul?

MikeK

• Martha!
Cash Explosion
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 12:25:58 PM »
[quote name=\'MaryM7643\' date=\'Feb 21 2004, 07:37 PM\'] I just turned on Cash Explosion, what happened to Sharon and Paul? [/quote]
 As I posted a week and a half ago, they've been replaced.

Interesting you mention just the new hosts (who suck), and not the new theme music and music cues (sucks), and the revamped set (actually very cool).

Michael Brandenburg

Cash Explosion
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 08:47:31 PM »
And as I mentioned in another thread, the host change for the Cash Explosion Double Play show may well have been to appease those who believe there are not enough African-Americans on prime-time TV shows.  (Needless to say, CEDP now has an African-American host!)

My comments on the first program following the makeover: Jazzy set, but same old boring game.  I'm sticking with Powerball Instant Millionaire on Saturday nights at 7:30 ET on WLWT in Cincinnati.

Michael Brandenburg
   (Besides, I've already won $100 as a "home partner" on that one back on the November 9, 2002, program, and I'm going to be a "home partner" again on the June 5, 2004, program, with at least another $100 prize for me guaranteed.  Meanwhile, my mother has had just two CEDP studio "Entry" tickets in 15 years of playing the game, and has gone 0 for 2 in those drawings!)

Gus

Cash Explosion
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 09:27:52 PM »
If I remember correctly, John E introduced the show as the "richest show on TV" Really? Its top prize is still only $200k. After what, fifteen years? The very least they could do to make it a bit better is add more chances to come back; ie, after winning the 200-grand, they could come back for 500 grand, then for a million.

And the biggest square in the main game is still $3200? Please. Value range of $2000 to $4000 plus one $5000 spot sounds good to me.

(I don't think this is mo' money syndrome on my part; is it? I can't tell.)

Honestly, I think they should've did the set just as they did it, but with a manual game board like they used to have.

Speaking of the set, is CEDP taped in the same... "studio" that Academic Challenge is taped on? I was just on an epidode of Academic Challenge that they taped this past Saturday. Should air April 10th; I'm the fat kid on the end that flubs his self-description. That set is tiny.

But I digress.

MikeK

• Martha!
Cash Explosion
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 10:03:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Speaking of the set, is CEDP taped in the same... "studio" that Academic Challenge is taped on? I was just on an epidode of Academic Challenge that they taped this past Saturday. Should air April 10th; I'm the fat kid on the end that flubs his self-description. That set is tiny. [/quote]
 When Cash Explosion taped at WEWS, I'm very sure it was taped in the same studio as Academic Challenge...at least this was the case when I went in 1995.  And yes, it is very very tiny.

Cash Explosion has been taped in Columbus for 3 or 4 months.  I'm going out on a limb here but that could be a reason why Paul and Sharon aren't with the show any longer.  They're both Clevelanders.  It's a good 2+ hour drive to Columbus each way.  (I know they were likely relieved of their duties since they're not young and hip.  I just wanna toss this possibility out there.)

Don Howard

Cash Explosion
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 10:12:23 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 10:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Speaking of the set, is CEDP taped in the same... "studio" that Academic Challenge is taped on? I was just on an epidode of Academic Challenge that they taped this past Saturday. Should air April 10th; I'm the fat kid on the end that flubs his self-description. That set is tiny. [/quote]
When Cash Explosion taped at WEWS, I'm very sure it was taped in the same studio as Academic Challenge...at least this was the case when I went in 1995.  And yes, it is very very tiny.

Cash Explosion has been taped in Columbus for 3 or 4 months.  I'm going out on a limb here but that could be a reason why Paul and Sharon aren't with the show any longer.  They're both Clevelanders.  It's a good 2+ hour drive to Columbus each way.  (I know they were likely relieved of their duties since they're not young and hip.  I just wanna toss this possibility out there.) [/quote]
 Does Sharon still do theatre up North?

MikeK

• Martha!
Cash Explosion
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 10:50:07 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 10:12 PM\'] Does Sharon still do theatre up North? [/quote]
 Dunno.  Sharon occasionally hosts the daily lottery draws.

Don Howard

Cash Explosion
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 07:37:13 PM »
Well now. I've had my first look at the NEW! Cash Explosion Double Play with our NEW!! hosts.
I would like to whack Leilani in the neck with a blunt object because his voice is driving me to the liquor cabinet. He's too good to wear a suit and tie, I see. Must be part of the NEW!!! stylin' image.
What is Ms. Duda's purpose since the game board is now computerized?
I see our NEW!!!! hosts suffer from the same disease as Kelly Ripa. They can't talk without moving their hands around all over the place.
And now, back to the show.

ADDED SHORTLY THEREAFTER: I see it now. Mr. Throat and Ms. Nasal alternate behind the hosting podium. Hmmmm.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 09:02:22 PM by Don Howard »

TimK2003

Cash Explosion
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2004, 12:20:39 PM »
[quote name=\'hmtriplecrown\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 10:03 PM\'] [quote name=\'Gus\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 09:27 PM\'] Speaking of the set, is CEDP taped in the same... "studio" that Academic Challenge is taped on? I was just on an epidode of Academic Challenge that they taped this past Saturday. Should air April 10th; I'm the fat kid on the end that flubs his self-description. That set is tiny. [/quote]

Cash Explosion has been taped in Columbus for 3 or 4 months.  I'm going out on a limb here but that could be a reason why Paul and Sharon aren't with the show any longer.  They're both Clevelanders.  It's a good 2+ hour drive to Columbus each way.  (I know they were likely relieved of their duties since they're not young and hip.  I just wanna toss this possibility out there.) [/quote]
 I finally kinda saw CEDP for the first time last night -- albeit in a crowded restaurant with the sound down.  I don't know if that was a good thing or not yet.

Anyhoo, I believe one of the big reasons that a good chunk of the show was overhauled  was that there is a new firm overseeing & producing the show.  I forget the name who runs it now, but Marcus Communications(???) who were the brains behind all of the televised Ohio Lottery game shows over the last 30 years, going back to the "Pot of Gold" days.

I do like the visual changes to the game, including the video walls and video podiums.  Duda is a little more appealing than Bicknell -- she kinda reminded me of Patty Duke Astin in the late 70's, and that Leilani looks too much off the wall.  Again, this is all based on my non-audio evaluation.

And wasn't Sharon originally commuting from the Columbus area when she first started?

Steve Gavazzi

Cash Explosion
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2004, 03:30:19 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, this was a dumb idea.  Tapie and Bicknell certainly weren't the greatest hosts in the universe, but Barrett and Duda are actually worse, and at least Paul and Sharon's brand of corniness was familiar.

Speedy G

Cash Explosion
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 7 2004, 03:30 PM\']As I've said elsewhere, this was a dumb idea.  Tapie and Bicknell certainly weren't the greatest hosts in the universe, but Barrett and Duda are actually worse, and at least Paul and Sharon's brand of corniness was familiar.[/quote]
::nods quickly::

Duda didn't seem THAT bad (I saw the new hosts for the first time last Saturday) when she wasn't giggling for no apparent reason.  But Barrett could easily be the second coming of Phil Moore.  Also, whoever decided to "spice up" the descriptions of... EVERYTHING... needs to be shot.  If it's "the same game" but with a new set, hosts, and the like, WHY do they need to tell anyone how the game is played?
Solar-powered flashlight, hour 4 of the Today show, the Purple Parrots.  *rips open envelope, blows into it*

Don Howard

Cash Explosion
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2004, 06:07:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Speedy G\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 03:02 PM\'] Duda didn't seem THAT bad (I saw the new hosts for the first time last Saturday) when she wasn't giggling for no apparent reason. [/quote]
 The cue card probably said GIGGLE HERE at that point in the script.

CJBojangles

Cash Explosion
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2004, 08:02:14 PM »
Some comments on the new Cash Explosion. I was going to post some comments earlier but I wasn't sure if the popularity of the show met newsworthy standards.

Some things that have been improved...

- The set
WOW what an improvement. The new graphics and podiums are amazing. All they have to do now is get a cameraman who knows what he's doing, not the same guy who's been doing the show for the last 15 years and is in shock at all of these new angles he must get now that the stage has transversed its sides and views. One thing they haven't gotten the knack of, when a contestant finds the $25K Cash Bonus square, we can't even seen the (awesome) cash graphics on the screen on of the contestant's podium. They had this strange angle of all 4 contestants, and the contestant didn't sound nearly as excited as I would have been had I just won $25K by picking a letter. The Match 3 Game at the end of the show has been vastly improved, now that the entire square is a different color for each player, it's easier to keep track of who's winning. The set no longer has that standard "pink and green marble" blah-ness to it, thank heavens.

- The new graphics/logo
The logo looks a lot better. I understand it's only a slight variation from the old one, but it looks a lot better in 3D than it did on the old one. The logo in a different color on each screen is also a nice twist. The board looks fantastic, although it looks extremely similar to those touch-screen machines sitting on bartops nationwide that you put a quarter in to play. I do ask that they use a little less blue so it's easier to read. The other graphics look great, a great improvement.

- The music/sounds
It's hard to give a really good opinion of the music, since it was hard to hear. They need to turn it up! As far as the sounds go, I love them. The best one - THE BOARD. I love the new sound of the board, it beats the old "random screeching ear-splitting PYL-posing" tones.

Some things that have been destroyed or "not-so" improved...

- The new hosts & hosting format
The format with each host hosting one round is not necessary. There is no longer a need for a co-host with the updated board. With the extra money from the paycheck of the missing co-host, they can put it towards...other...things. Although it probably would be just enough to buy a Slurpee for the producer, now that I think about it. The new girl host is bearable, not as excited as Sharon was, but I could get used to her. But I can't STAND that other guy. I understand that it may be an attempt to get more African-American hosts on the air, but this guy is just entirely too artificial. He's speaking like he's the announcer for the show in everything he does. Lord knows that he doesn't talk in that huge, overly-deep, booming, overly-stressed voice when he's out with friends. He's a robot. If he wants any kind of credibility from me, he needs to loosen up and be himself.

- That studio...That audience...Eerrgh
It's been this way since the beginning of time. And as of late, they've made it worse. The studio the game is recorded in appears to be a shoebox. It's very tiny, making the "bigness", for lack of a better word, of the game and its new elements not as spectacular. In all actuality, the only problem I really have with the set is that one cheering section in the audience, reserved to friends, family, and people invited to the show. They show the audience at least twice an episode as well, and when it's that same shot of the small little section of audience every time, it gets rather dull. Either enlarge the audience, or get some recorded applause, for gosh sakes.

- The $$ Amounts
I do disagree with the whole "Richest game in television" comment at the beginning of the show. This a horrible HORRIBLE misconception. I mean Lord... We just went through Super Millionaire in which $10 MILLION was offered, let ALONE $200,000. I suppose it's a lot of money for merely picking squares on a board, requiring the commom sense and skill of a 3 year old. Also, $3200 being the highest amount on the board is rediculous. Who came up with that amount anyway? The top $$ value should be about $5000. Perhaps the winner gets $100K, then $200K, and $300K. Perhaps $100K, $250K, $500K.

These are just 2nd week observations. I'm definitely giving them time to get into the groove of the new show, to get the camera angles right and to make improvements. I certainly see potential in this little project. Who knows - They might even bring back Paul and Sharon (I think they'd do really well at the helm again, each hosting a round in the new format) like they did the last time they tried to replace them.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 08:03:14 PM by CJBojangles »

Michael Brandenburg

Cash Explosion
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 10:31:26 PM »
Well, I'll come back with more on this…

Despite the "electronic" makeover and new hosts, I still see it as the same dull game that I only watch at 7:30 Saturday evenings on WCPO in Cincinnati when the Powerball Instant Millionaire show gets knocked out of that same time slot on WLWT in that city by some other program.

If anything, I might offer this suggestion for higher stakes on Cash Explosion Double Play: If a contestant happens to find the "Bonus" square on the game board during play (which is currently worth a bonus of $25,000 on top of all other winnings from the program) and then goes on to win the show's "Match 3" end game, add that prize to the $50,000 total the contestant wins for that program to make it a total of $75,000.  Then, if that contestant wins the "Match 3" game again as the returning champion on the following week's show, double that player's $75,000 worth of previous winnings to $150,000.

Then, if the contestant wins the "Match 3" game again on the following week's program, double his/her total winnings again to $300,000 -- which, incidentally, was the amount they would award to the top prize winner on every Ohio Lottery weekly TV program when it first started on the air in 1975.  (It was called Buckeye 300 then, and the game play was very different from the current play on Cash Explosion Double Play.)

Still, I'm sticking with the Powerball Instant Millionaire program because of the more varied games and the fact that I don't even have to buy a ticket to get into the drawing for a chance to be on the show.  (Yes, I just pick up the ones I find thrown away on the street, fill them out, and send them in -- and I've already been pulled twice to be "home partners" for the program's studio contestants, with at least a $100 prize for me guaranteed.)

But my mother is now giving me money to buy them with -- because she has only qualified twice in ten years to get into the Cash Explosion Double Play's studio player drawings, and has gone 0 for 2 in them.  So now she gets in to Powerball Instant Millionaire's studio player drawings with every ticket I buy for her that doesn't win.

Michael Brandenburg
(Besides, she likes the odds better on the Powerball Instant Millionaire scratch-off tickets --1 in 2.92 do win at least a $5 "break even" prize!)

Don Howard

Cash Explosion
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 08:00:51 AM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 08:02 PM\'] Some comments on the new Cash Explosion. [/quote]
 <comments snipped, but I agree with just about everything you said>

ANOTHER ITEM FOR THE GOOD COLUMN:
At least they retained announcer John E. Douglas and didn't replace him
with Don "Action" Jackson.