Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR MadTV Sketch  (Read 7045 times)

jw2001

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« on: February 21, 2004, 11:26:14 PM »
As many of you are aware, the latest sketch of TPIR just aired on MadTV.  What are people's thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 11:26:34 PM by jw2001 »

MaryM7643

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 11:31:51 PM »
Well, it wasn't very accurate. Rod wasn't announcer in 1974, and it was wrong to make fun of him. Anyone else think those models looked like Anitra and Janice?

BrandonFG

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 12:02:59 AM »
[quote name=\'jw2001\' date=\'Feb 21 2004, 11:26 PM\'] As many of you are aware, the latest sketch of TPIR just aired on MadTV.  What are people's thoughts? [/quote]
 Lame. When trying to make humor about a past decade, there's nothing worse than using nothing but 70s cliches and catchphrases for your dialogue. They tried way too hard to joke on 70s styles.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

jw2001

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2004, 12:06:54 AM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 12:02 AM\']Lame. When trying to make humor about a past decade, there's nothing worse than using nothing but 70s cliches and catchphrases for your dialogue. They tried way too hard to joke on 70s styles.[/quote]
I'd have to agree, and other than Bob's clothes and Rod's hair, them trying to make note of 70s cliches and styles was so evident.  Example being the first contestant "getting on down" with roller skates.

rugrats1

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2004, 12:44:32 AM »
I saw it, and, in my opinion, it makes "The Price Is Right" look more like "That 70s Show" -- much too much 1970s.

The actual 70s Price (besides Johnny instead of Rod) was more laid-back, and even the real McCoy wasn't that heavy on the 70s.

In my opinion, they just set it in the 1970s, just so they can keep the Rod character in the sketches. OK sketch, but not as good as the others in the past.

urbanpreppie05

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 01:00:56 AM »
I thought it was funny. a little heavy on 70's stereotypes, but still funny. Who cares if the facts don't match? It's a comedy sketch.
insert signature here

bossjock967

• Smiling politely.
TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 05:40:16 AM »
I thought it was funny. a little heavy on 70's stereotypes, but still funny. Who cares if the facts don't match? It's a comedy sketch.
I think as far as sketches go... I thought it was OK.  Yeah... the cliches were all over the place... but I got a few chuckles out of it.  As for it not being accurate... only the people here would worry about that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 05:41:03 AM by bossjock967 »
Corey Dukes
The "Biggest Jerk" of the Game Show Forum

Sunfox

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 06:45:51 AM »
It was fun - who cares about accuracy or stereotypes? The whole point of the sketch was that it was 70's.

Loved the Barker theme song, the "desktop calculator" and other products, the "1 dollar higher" bidding... only negative in my mind was the number of racial jokes (and that they were all directed at Bob).

MitchJoseph2004

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 09:35:04 AM »
IT was hillarious guys..... come on and not be so critical. geesh. Who cares about it not being very accurate?? Who cares about over cliche-ing it? It was done for laughs and it was well recieved.

Anywho.... I loved the part when Bob said "If I'm still doing this show in 30 years, I'll shoot myself in the mouth". The Pinto was really good too. I got loads of laughs from when Rod introed Bob.... the white screen, Charlie's Angels type thing. hahahh

Geeze, if only SNL could do game show sketches like MadTV does. (Watch for Feud on next week's MAD)

The Ol' Guy

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2004, 10:20:54 AM »
now was I hallucinating, or did the background props have the show called "The Price Is Right On!"? If they had used that title from the beginning of the sketch, it would have been a better set-up. Still, it was cute.

daveromanjr

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 12:07:29 PM »
Bob had said the pricing game they were playing was entitled The Price is Right On.  He had said when the audience was laughing and I could barely hear it.  You're right... it would have been really funny had they called the entire show The Price is Right On.  

I personally thought the parody was great.  It wasn't as good as the previous Price sketches I've seen them do, but it was humerous nonetheless.

JayC

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 12:12:44 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 10:20 AM\'] now was I hallucinating, or did the background props have the show called "The Price Is Right On!"? If they had used that title from the beginning of the sketch, it would have been a better set-up. Still, it was cute. [/quote]
 That was the name of the pricing game they were playing.  (It sounds like a mix of the Hole in One GP game and Time is Money)

I thought the sketch was pretty boring.  The only funny things about it was the oversized calculator and the exploding Pinto.  I guess Rod's 'fro was pretty funny also.  Even if it was historically accurate, it still probably wouldn't have been that good.  Bobby Lee streaking was definately not needed though.

Hopefully next week's Feud sketch will be better, it certainly looks funny from the previews.

MikeK

• Martha!
TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 12:36:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Feb 22 2004, 12:12 PM\'] I thought the sketch was pretty boring.  The only funny things about it was the oversized calculator and the exploding Pinto.  I guess Rod's 'fro was pretty funny also.  Even if it was historically accurate, it still probably wouldn't have been that good.  Bobby Lee streaking was definately not needed though. [/quote]
 Streaking was a 70s fad.

I gotta agree with the "lighten up" crowd.  It was not meant to be historically accurate.  Even though parts were predictable, it was funny, better than just about anything SNL has done in the past 2 years.

Speaking of SNL, they had a Game Show Network "show" last night--"Do You Know Who My Father Is?"  This segment was so bad that I fell asleep during the skit.

GSWitch

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2004, 12:45:16 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned about the Oriental streaker!

Skynet74

TPIR MadTV Sketch
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2004, 05:31:15 PM »
[quote name=\'jw2001\' date=\'Feb 21 2004, 11:26 PM\'] As many of you are aware, the latest sketch of TPIR just aired on MadTV.  What are people's thoughts? [/quote]

Funny Stuff. I loved it. Seeing Rod from the 1970's was a trip. He had the voice down pretty good too. Accuracy isn't all that important with stuff like this. Comedic Value IS. It struck it's mark because I laughed hard. Good Job.

John