Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Interesting PSA on "1M Chance of a Lifetime"  (Read 3090 times)

BrandonFG

Interesting PSA on "1M Chance of a Lifetime"
« on: April 18, 2021, 01:01:57 AM »
I'm watching an early episode of The $1M Chance of a Lifetime, and during the credits, I notice something very random.

At about the 27:18 mark, Jim Lange goes into an alert for a missing girl from Staten Island, NY. Now, I know in the 80s PSAs were a big thing, where children's sitcoms or cartoons always did "very special episodes" or included a safety tip at the end to teach kids a lesson. But I think this is the first time I've ever seen a game show lend itself to such a heavy cause. Was this a regular occurrence on Chance?

"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

JMFabiano

Re: Interesting PSA on "1M Chance of a Lifetime"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 03:04:43 AM »
What I get out of this:

1) Holy crap the prototype Lorimar-Telepictures logo was used, with the respective jingles.  I thought Johnny talked over them instead.

2) This version of the theme = the superior version. 
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »
But I think this is the first time I've ever seen a game show lend itself to such a heavy cause. Was this a regular occurrence on Chance?

To answer the original question, I remember watching this show several times between WAVE-TV in Louisville and KHJ in LA (army kid), and no, I don't recall seeing any missing children bumpers come up during the run. That being said, the theme music was playing as Jim read the copy.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 10:35:47 AM by tyshaun1 »

JMFabiano

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 12:04:01 PM »
But I think this is the first time I've ever seen a game show lend itself to such a heavy cause. Was this a regular occurrence on Chance?

To answer the original question, I remember watching this show several times between WAVE-TV in Louisville and KHJ in LA (army kid), and no, I don't recall seeing any missing children bumpers come up during the run. That being said, the theme music was playing as Jim read the copy.

I was rereading the thread about the discovery of 1974 Joker's Wild episodes, and some ended with an American Heart Association spiel.

SamJ93

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 12:43:31 PM »
Was the girl ever found?
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 12:51:04 PM »
What I get out of this:

1) Holy crap the prototype Lorimar-Telepictures logo was used, with the respective jingles.  I thought Johnny talked over them instead.

A random missing child PSA on a game show and that's what you got out of this? :P

Was the girl ever found?
As of a few years ago, I'm afraid not.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 01:23:22 PM »

I was rereading the thread about the discovery of 1974 Joker's Wild episodes, and some ended with an American Heart Association spiel.

I'm just gonna say it. 2 posts that have nothing to do with the original post. PJTP. #Throwback

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 01:50:00 PM »
What I get out of this:

I'm genuinely curious -- do you even grasp how much of a jackass it makes you look like when you respond to a post about what's essentially an Amber Alert by yammering on about logos and music?

colonial

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »

Here is another PSA featured on "Chance of a Lifetime." Per the description, these were done off-and-on during the first season of the show on behalf of "Find The Children," a non-profit group founded by the late TV producer and casting director Linda Otto.

http://findthechildren.com/about-us

JD

JMFabiano

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 09:13:44 AM »
Joker's Wild had a PSA.  $1M had a PSA. 

A game show that had a PSA.  Yeah, totally different things, totally off-topic.  Got it. 

I am big enough to admit/apologize that my other post was totally OT, fine.  I'll give you that one, even say I was kinda out of line to mention a non-$1MCOAL example here (...but name calling because of it?  Not so much.) 

That said, I'll gladly move along. 

I do vaguely remember the COAL examples.  Don't remember if anyone else did it. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:33:04 AM by JMFabiano »

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »
I do vaguely remember the COAL examples.  Don't remember if anyone else did it.

...and thats what you should have said from the jump.

The problem is that there's been a shift in the community to derail conversations and discuss minute details that had nothing to do with the conversation or "flex" on what they know. Keep in mind, this isn't a slam at you, its something that I and others have noticed and its just...frustrating.
insert signature here