Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Airdate for TPIR MDS #3  (Read 3132 times)

passwordplus

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« on: February 23, 2004, 10:49:34 AM »
When will it air? I have checked golden road and don't see anything about it there either.

zachhoran

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 07:37:34 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Feb 23 2004, 10:49 AM\'] When will it air? I have checked golden road and don't see anything about it there either. [/quote]
 Still no word on when that will air. I thought maybe CBS would consider burning it off against Reege and Co. this week(though 10PM isn't the most stellar time slot for primetime TPIR). I wonder if CBS will pick up on Super MIllionaire's success and place a primetime TPIR or two against Millionaire if it comes back for May sweeps?

76GMC

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 12:06:11 PM »
Why would CBS wait this long to air one particular special, esp. when the other two pulled in good #s in the Nielsens?

I would think any errors that occurred could be edited, rather than keep the show in the can.......unless perhaps some kind of record was set.  

Still a "Puzzler" (pardon the pun), IMHO

Rick

JayC

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 09:10:35 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that it's because someone won the $1,000,000.

76GMC

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 12:54:30 AM »
I'd be willing to bet that it's because someone won the $1,000,000.

Now that I think about, JayC, I bet you're right.  There's a clause where they don't have to pay until the show airs, and maybe they're waiting until the budget can handle it--that is, if they pay the whole thing at once.

To Randy (or others):  Is it true that the show took out some sort of insurance policy in case someone did win the million?  Could the show be waiting to cash in on the policy, and thereby keeping the ep in the can until they get it?

Another question, for any who know:  How will the money be dispersed to the winner (lump or payments)?  Please forgive me if that question has been addressed previously.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

tvrandywest

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 04:35:14 AM »
[quote name=\'76GMC\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 09:54 PM\'] To Randy (or others):  Is it true that the show took out some sort of insurance policy in case someone did win the million?  Could the show be waiting to cash in on the policy, and thereby keeping the ep in the can until they get it? [/quote]
Yes. Like every other huge money show I'm aware of, Price also has an insurance policy for the $1,000,000 prize, should it be won. And during the taping of the three most recent primetime specials the producers were very much hoping for a $1,000,000 win. Incidentally, the terms of that insurance policy are what is behind the confusion some people had when they saw how the wheel was preset for the $1 mil bonus spins.

In the daytime show the wheel is preset at .05 enabling a contestant to win $5,000 by getting the wheel all the way around exactly once. That precedent would suggest that the wheel be preset at 1.00 for the primetime $1,000,000 spins (there is no win for the green sections .05 and .15 in the $1 mil spin). But one of the stipulations of Price's insurance policy is that the wheel must make more than one complete revolution. Thus the wheel is preset at .05 for that spin. And now you know the rest of the story   ;-)

The only show I'm aware of that does not carry an insurance policy for the big $1,000,000+ prizes is the California lottery "Big Spin" show with Pat Finn. The lottery pays the big prizes out of the proceeds from the ticket sales in their wildly profitable lottery. Since I started working that show I've seen TWO $1,000,000 wins.

And no, there is no spoiler in this post. Was the $!,000,000 won on that 3rd primetime Price episode? I'll never tell    ;-p

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 04:38:11 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 05:04:05 AM »
I can justify the reason for the insurance policy on the $1 million prize, but is it payable in a lump sum or in payments by x # of years(usually $25K/yr for 40 years or $100K/yr in 10 years)?

As far as keeping the $1 million spin winner a secret, that's fine by me as long as CBS doesn't "spill the beans" a few days before the actual air date.  I ALWAYS liked to be surprised when it comes to big wins.

tvrandywest

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 02:01:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 02:04 AM\']I can justify the reason for the insurance policy on the $1 million prize, but is it payable in a lump sum or in payments by x # of years(usually $25K/yr for 40 years or $100K/yr in 10 years)?[/quote]
They are almost always annuities, and that is the case with "Price" as well. I  just plain simply forgot the payout schedule on the Price million, when and IF it's won. But every annuity can be converted to instant cash, albeit at a large discount.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 03:16:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 03:35 AM\'] That precedent would suggest that the wheel be preset at 1.00 for the primetime $1,000,000 spins (there is no win for the green sections .05 and .15 in the $1 mil spin). [/quote]
Not to argue with you, but I was always under the impression that the $1,000,000 spin DID pay $5,000 for landing on one of the two green sections.  Unless you're talking about someone who gets the $1,000,000 spin simply by winning his or her showcase rather than getting $1.00 during the Showcase Showdown.

I had asked something along those lines in a thread (which can be viewed here)  a while back, and while there was a lot of bantering back and forth (as tends to happen on this board ;) ), I'm not sure if a definitive answer (sorry, that's another show) was ever reached.  So I guess my question still stands.

EDIT:  The thread now has an update from ClockGameJohn regarding this, so my question is now moot (for some reason I didn't see it when I looked for the thread).  Tally ho!

Doug -- and the countdown to 400 continues
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 03:20:50 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

BrandonFG

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 03:22:11 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 03:16 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 03:35 AM\'] That precedent would suggest that the wheel be preset at 1.00 for the primetime $1,000,000 spins (there is no win for the green sections .05 and .15 in the $1 mil spin). [/quote]
Not to argue with you, but I was always under the impression that the $1,000,000 spin DID pay $5,000 for landing on one of the two green sections.  Unless you're talking about someone who gets the $1,000,000 spin simply by winning his or her showcase rather than getting $1.00 during the Showcase Showdown.
 [/quote]
 If I'm not mistaken, I saw one of the specials last summer, and I remember during a bonus spin, the audience being shocked that the contestant missed the $1.00 space by just a hair. After they all calmed down, Bob mentioned that the lady still won $5,000. It was almost a delayed reaction.

Of course, as you said, Randy might be referring to the post-Showcase spins, not Showdowns.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

tvrandywest

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 05:04:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Feb 26 2004, 12:16 PM\'] Not to argue with you, but I was always under the impression that the $1,000,000 spin DID pay $5,000 for landing on one of the two green sections.  Unless you're talking about someone who gets the $1,000,000 spin simply by winning his or her showcase rather than getting $1.00 during the Showcase Showdown. [/quote]
Oh come on, argue with me. Isn't that what these boards are all about?   ;-)

Foster, Doug and everybody else who is cursing at me, I should have been WAY more careful in my wording earlier. Sorry, I WAS referring to the bonus spin that happens following the showcases for the episodes during which no one "earns" a bonus spin by first getting a dollar in one of the showcase showdowns. And while I may be wrong, I'm pretty sure I remember that spin as being only for the million, with landing on the .05 and .15 green sections having no reward.

For a contestant who "earns" a bonus spin by getting a dollar in a showcase showdown, yes, the green sections are definitely worth $5,000 in the $1 milllion bonus spin. And that did indeed happen during the military MDS episode.

I was focused on the confusing (to me) practice of presetting the wheel on .05 for the "unearned" $1 million dollar spin at the end of the episode. To me, it seemed to suggest that there is a reward for landing on the .05 green section in the "unearned" bonus spin, but I was told there is not. It simply requires a contestant to exceed one complete revolution in order to win the $1,000,000, per the terms of the insurance policy.

Confused? You won't be after this episode of SOA... uh, the next prime time special.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 05:07:46 PM by tvrandywest »

ChuckNet

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 06:18:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I saw one of the specials last summer, and I remember during a bonus spin, the audience being shocked that the contestant missed the $1.00 space by just a hair. After they all calmed down, Bob mentioned that the lady still won $5,000. It was almost a delayed reaction.

Yeah, we had a coupla close calls on 2 of the $1M Spectaculars where the bonus spin either landed on .05 or .15, which made the $5K bonus seem rather paltry by comparison.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

AH3RD

Airdate for TPIR MDS #3
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2004, 04:01:32 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Feb 25 2004, 09:10 PM\'] I'd be willing to bet that it's because someone won the $1,000,000. [/quote]
 How many times have they taken a shot @ the $1 million jackpot @ The Big Wheel: 7?

This we've just got to see!
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine