Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dorothy Kilgallen conspiracy?  (Read 2206 times)

CliffColeclough

Dorothy Kilgallen conspiracy?
« on: March 02, 2004, 10:52:26 AM »
A question last night on Jeopardy made reference to Dorothy Kilgallen being killed shortly after conducting an interview with someone (I was only half paying attention and don't recall the name).

Does anyone know the full story behind this?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 10:57:25 AM »
Are you sure they said she was killed?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CliffColeclough

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 10:59:39 AM »
Not 100% positive.  Like I said, I was only half paying attention - but the name and death caught my attention.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 11:08:28 AM »
The official word from the coroner was that she died after ingesting a mixture of barbituates and alcohol. She had just returned to NYC from Dallas where she had interviewed Jack Ruby.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

CliffColeclough

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 11:33:48 AM »
Thanks - that totally clears this up.  I guess the conspiracy part of the question - was more in reference to Jack Ruby than to Dorothy.  

Always appreciate the help given here on this board - knew I could get straightened out by the posters here.

tvrandywest

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2004, 12:13:10 PM »
Well, I'm going to add to the story that illuminates the "conspiracy" angle I believe the J! writers were going for.

Kilgallen was very vocal in her brief time on Earth following her visit to Dallas, publicly saying and printing in her column that she was "going to blow the lid off the Kennedy assassination story". She said it on the set of WML on the Sunday night shortly before her death. When I spoke with Producer Bob Bach a few years ago he remembered clearly how Dorothy said it to him and to Bob's wife that night in addition to other WML staffers.

The story gets a little cloudy next as there were reports that Dorothy was seen in a New York hotel lobby dating some new man in her life that she had not introduced to her friends. And then it all hits the fan when Kilgallen is found dead, with her clothes on, with the pills and alcohol that supposedly were the cause of her death nowhere near her bed. And the large file of papers that she had waved on a TV show days earlier as being "evidence" of the new revelations on the Kennedy assassination was missing. All true from the pieces I've been able to fit together.

For the longer story (and a WML picture  ;-) that is clearly written by a conspiracy advocate check this out:
http://www.jfkresearch.com/morningstar/killgallen.htm

Is the truth ever witheld from the American public? Does our government have Weapons of Mass Confusion? Would Kilgallen be the next guest announcer on TPiR?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

wxfrcaster

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 06:37:57 PM »
Hey Randy,

Just wanted to say a quick thanks for all your posts on the board.  Your posts are always polite, never ugly, and very "fair and balanced."  (If I can say that.)  And often times very funny.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in this forum.  Now we all "know" someone famous!  :)

Kevin Prather

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 06:45:45 PM »
Often times? Hell! Nearly every post he makes has some sort of punch line in it, and I can't remember ONCE I haven't laughed at it. :)

Seriously, it's a privelage to be among such greatness as Mr. West.

Little Big Brother

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 08:38:59 PM »
Would Kilgallen be the next guest announcer on TPiR?

No, but I heard she's on the short list to host ABC's next new game show ;-)

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 11:04:32 PM »
Thanks guys; I appreciate your kind words. We've got a cool family of regulars on this board who provoke discussion on a lot of fun topics. And with Matt and Chris at the helm this has consistently been a quality forum. I love it.

As anyone who has ever trudged through my website knows I've been fascinated by the business since childhood, and as anyone who has seen any (ok, "most" - please exclude "Hit Man") of my contestant appearances knows I have a love for interesting mini-facts - a measure of my short attention span, I suppose.

Growing up pre-internet I only knew a few kindred spirits, others like Bob Boden and Brian Conn were undoubtedly in some of the very same game show audiences with me, but we never knew each other. How cool it would have been to have the net as a catalyst for us all to bond back in the Jurassic era. And how cool to be able to share the knowledge we stole by trespassing in empty studios and control rooms, by peering into offices, and by pestering people who were doing the work we fantasized about. It's here now, and I'm making up for lost time!

So thank YOU for the discussion and for another outlet for my passion. And if I get that "Price" gig, everyone is promised a backstage tour on their next LA trip. During the 50 or so episodes I voiced I had so many guests that I'm sure the crew thought I was either charging admission or dealing drugs.   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com