Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Potty-mouthed game show hosts  (Read 11958 times)

ChuckNet

Potty-mouthed game show hosts
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2004, 12:45:42 PM »
Bob Barker - Perhaps not a huge foulmouth. In fact, I can only think of twice on tpir that he swore. Once during the Shell Game available at the GS Theatre, ("Everybody knows the damn things not there!") The other when the director kept calling to stop tape. ("What the hell's the damn holdup now???" (this was met with wild cheers from the audience, btw))

There was also a third time...a computer was offered, and the contestant said "I can't even balance my checkbook, what the hell am I gonna do w/a computer?", to which Bob responded "I dunno what the hell we're gonna do w/no computers in the future on this show." :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2004, 12:48:43 PM »
"Welcome! Today we will...(lights dim)...find someone to pay the light bill. (bleep)" (cue $ale buzzer)

Actually, it was "And now to introduce (lights dim)...the man who pays the electric bill, then we can get the (BLEEP) out of here!".

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

WorldClassRob

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned Peter Tomarken's feelings about Bargain Hunters.  Hehe
« Last Edit: February 29, 2004, 01:49:25 PM by WorldClassRob »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2004, 02:33:04 PM »
[quote name=\'johnnya2k3\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 12:06 AM\'] Were there any other foul-mouthed hosts like the ones I've covered? [/quote]
 Geez, how could I be so stupid?  This should've been so obvious to me as a GONG-o-phile that one host who uttered a few expletives during his run was Chuck Barris.  Perfect example--on the 7/18/78 episode (the final week of the NBC run), they had trouble raising the "GONG" wall/curtain.  Barris walked over and slammed a walking stick right through the curtain, which took him by surprise (of course, this could have all been planned).  After letting out a choice expletive which got bleeped, he went ahead and used the cane to destroy the rest of the curtain while Mother McKenzie went nuts.  Finally, what was left of the curtain was raised.  The act got gonged (in fact, nobody won that day).

Doug -- and the countdown to 400 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2004, 02:38:59 PM »
For those who can remember this show: did Joe Pyne, known for having a loud mouth, ever curse on SHowdown which he did for NBC in 1966.

adamjk

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2004, 02:41:09 PM »
How about the final episode of Combs Feud, when Ray says to a person who gets 0 points in FM "It's a damn fine way to go out"

uncamark

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2004, 02:49:41 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 02:38 PM\']For those who can remember this show: did Joe Pyne, known for having a loud mouth, ever curse on SHowdown which he did for NBC in 1966.[/quote]
If he did, we sure didn't see it on the air--and back then, he couldn't even say "damn," although he could tell his talk show guests to go gargle with razor blades.  And say that The Bantams (the pre-teen rock group that were regulars when "Showdown" started) were "going to sing a song about being together--at least they'll sing together when they start--they may not end the song that way."

The Bantams were three blonde boys--guitar, bongoes and a singer, accompanied off-camera by H-Q house organist Arlo Hults.  They did the theme song and a few other musical clues to questions and got put down by Pyne every day before they got canned a few weeks into the show.  Any other musical clues were provided by Hults, or as Pyne referred to him, "our spook" (since there was no camera on him at the NBC Hammond H-100--Heatter would have to pay him more if he was on-camera, you understand).

Kevin Prather

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2004, 03:07:04 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 12:41 PM\'] How about the final episode of Combs Feud, when Ray says to a person who gets 0 points in FM "It's a damn fine way to go out" [/quote]
 (Contestant gives her answer with a really heavy accent.)

Ray: Let me check wit the judges...what the hell did she say?

(For "Name something that some people consider a sin", #3 answer is revealed as "Swearing")

Ray: I'll be damned.

adamjk

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 04:00:04 PM »
Were those lines both from the final show, or other shows?

Kevin Prather

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2004, 04:04:19 PM »
Other shows.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2004, 05:19:51 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 12:48 PM\'] Actually, it was "And now to introduce (lights dim)...the man who pays the electric bill, then we can get the (BLEEP) out of here!". [/quote]
 It wasn't the first time Jim let off an H-bomb on NBC.  During his speech at the end of the original Card Sharks series, he said he was going to get the h--- out of the way.

zachhoran

« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2004, 08:00:14 PM »
No one mentioned JD's "budget shot to hell" comment on his Squares run when four bonus rounds were won in one week.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2004, 10:41:32 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 06:00 PM\'] No one mentioned JD's "budget shot to hell" comment on his Squares run when four bonus rounds were won in one week. [/quote]
 Probably because "hell" stopped being a swear word in my way of existence when I was about....oh, 10.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

calliaume

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2004, 10:53:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 12:43 PM\'] Actually, rent the movie "Semi-Tough" for some choice dialogue by Bert Convy.  Jim McKrell's in that movie too, but he doesn't say any naughty words. [/quote]
 Which isn't to say he's never used one; trust me.

The only reason a host cutting loose expletives would be a concern is if he was so foul-mouthed, the contestants might feel uncomfortable around him/her.  Otherwise, it seems to me a non-issue.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2004, 01:10:18 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 05:19 PM\'] [quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Feb 29 2004, 12:48 PM\'] Actually, it was "And now to introduce (lights dim)...the man who pays the electric bill, then we can get the (BLEEP) out of here!". [/quote]
It wasn't the first time Jim let off an H-bomb on NBC.  During his speech at the end of the original Card Sharks series, he said he was going to get the h--- out of the way. [/quote]
Are we still in 3rd grade?  It's just my opinion, but  98% of us are mature enough to handle words such as these.  It shouldn't be any different when making an excerpt from a quotation, unless I missed someting in board policies.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 03:40:21 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13