Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Questions Regarding the Joker’s Wild $1M ToC  (Read 2283 times)

TheInquisitiveOne

Questions Regarding the Joker’s Wild $1M ToC
« on: February 19, 2022, 06:03:08 PM »
Good evening. Hope you’re having a good weekend wherever you are.

I’ve been waxing nostalgic as of late and stumbled upon the final two days of the Joker’s Wild $1,000,000 Tournament of Champions (tried to find the whole tournament, but oh well). As I watched, a couple of questions came to mind as I try to get an idea of the uniqueness of this tournament, and as I try to be the Thanos of TV Guide ad collecting (found a nice one from the Toledo edition with a photo of Jack Barry surrounded by all the participants, with the ad said it was “coming soon.” About that…)

When was the tournament originally broadcast? I looked around for specific dates, though all I was able to find was that it broadcast in November of 1980. I don’t know why I thought it was a spring tournament; I could chalk that up to my watching the tournament in its entirety during one of GSNs “Game Show Saturday Night” blocks (March 2001, specifically).

While the tournament had a set format, was the tournament blocked for a set schedule? I ask this because the tournament ended mid-episode and the show went back to normal play with the last pre-tournament champion playing his opponent. Was that episode meant to be the final night, or was it simply a case of “whatever, whenever?”

Finally, I seem to recall players from past tournaments returning to play in this one. I think I saw the winner of the $100,000 tournament (who defended his championship in the following year’s $250,000 tournament) in the field, but I’m trying to point out others.

Thank you guys for your time. As always, I appreciate it. Be safe.

The Inquisitive One

(I thought I put this in The Big Board. Man did I goof. My apologies.)
This is the Way.

BrandonFG

Re: Questions Regarding the Joker’s Wild $1M ToC
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:38:09 PM »
When was the tournament originally broadcast? I looked around for specific dates, though all I was able to find was that it broadcast in November of 1980. I don’t know why I thought it was a spring tournament; I could chalk that up to my watching the tournament in its entirety during one of GSNs “Game Show Saturday Night” blocks (March 2001, specifically).
I found one listing that mentions it airing the week of November 10, 1980 (6:00 pm). Apparently it started on the Thursday of that week, the 13th.

Finally, I seem to recall players from past tournaments returning to play in this one. I think I saw the winner of the $100,000 tournament (who defended his championship in the following year’s $250,000 tournament) in the field, but I’m trying to point out others.
IIRC, Frank Dillion appeared, but like you said only the final two days are on Youtube.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

SuperSweeper

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 10:06:52 PM »
I’m having a hard time quoting, but I’m pretty sure Frank Dillon did NOT compete in this tournament - either he voluntarily chose to not play or he was working for the show by that time.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »
If Eileen Jason came back for the million dollar go she was knocked out in the first round because I don’t remember seeing her during the Saturday Night marathon.
Travis L. Eberle

SuperMatch93

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 10:45:44 PM »
Was TJW still bicycled by this point? It may not have aired in November in all cities.
-William https://cookcounty.biz
https://www.donorschoose.org/classroom/cpsbermudez
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 11:03:55 PM »
Was TJW still bicycled by this point? It may not have aired in November in all cities.
I remember reading Thom McKee’s TTD run aired on different dates in different cities, so I imagine the sister show was also bicycled.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

trainman

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 12:45:41 AM »
As far as I know, when "Entertainment Tonight" debuted in the fall of 1981, it was the very first syndicated show to be distributed via satellite -- so it's a safe bet that TJW was being bicycled in the 1980-81 season.
trainman is a man of trains

That Don Guy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 11:25:53 AM »
While the tournament had a set format, was the tournament blocked for a set schedule? I ask this because the tournament ended mid-episode and the show went back to normal play with the last pre-tournament champion playing his opponent. Was that episode meant to be the final night, or was it simply a case of “whatever, whenever?”

They couldn't have known in advance when the tournament would end, especially since the final was a "best-of" format.

As for returning contestants, I'm pretty sure Hal (The Suit) Shear returned for the million dollar tournament.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 11:55:50 AM »
Hal Scheer would have been out in the heat round as well then.
Travis L. Eberle