Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: A bomb here, a hit there  (Read 6551 times)

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
Re: A bomb here, a hit there
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2022, 10:48:47 AM »
Of course, can't forget The Rich List / The Money List. Quite successful in the UK.
https://www.patreon.com/BlanquePage - A building library of game show music remixes you never thought you'd need to hear ^_-
https://gameshowvault.blogspot.com/ - The revived Game Show Vault blog
www.youtube.com/blanquepage - Youtube channel of fun game show stuff

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2022, 10:59:46 AM »
Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris-8 episodes on NBC.  Ant and Dec Saturday Night Takeaway-18 seasons in Great Britain.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Kniwt

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris-8 episodes on NBC.  Ant and Dec Saturday Night Takeaway-18 seasons in Great Britain.

And its Australian version, Sunday Night Takeaway, also got the axe after just one series in 2019. (Although it was quite a bit better than Best Time Ever, which admittedly isn't saying much.)

ivoryman1986

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »
Weakest Link lasted for 12 years in the UK and only 1 season with Anne and George.

Temptation (New Sale) did poorly in America and lasted 1 season while the Australian revival lasted 4 seasons.
Actually, for Weakest Link, it lasted for 2 seasons with George.

Kniwt

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 03:18:15 PM »
There's also the curious case of Taskmaster, which bombed in its one US season on Comedy Central, but Series 13 is about to air in the UK. But not only that, when The CW acquired Taskmaster UK (with much press hype at the time), it lasted only one episode before being canceled and eventually shunted off to its streaming service.

But in the "bomb" category, a local version also failed miserably in Spain, where it was canceled before all episodes were even shown.

doctorwho

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 03:48:48 PM »
If we're going to talk Spain and bombs, "Boom!" is apparently still going there more than 7 years after it bombed off the air here.

Unrealtor

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 04:35:07 PM »
And speaking of Spanish shows that outlived their originals, the BBC's The Alphabet Game (a total of 15 weeks) turned into Spain's Pasapalabra (on almost continuously since 2000), which turned into ITV's Alphabetical (6 weeks.) The Spanish version was also the origin of versions in Argentina (2016-2021) and Chile (2018-present.)
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2022, 08:19:51 PM »
One wonders what would have happened if Bud Austin had earned his keep and licensed Jay's shows overseas. How would Whew! have fared abroad?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2022, 08:39:47 PM »
No idea, but Blackout was retitled Take the Plunge and got ten shows out of it. Hitman might have done a little better—yup, 14x.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2022, 04:38:21 AM »
"That's Amore" with Luca.  Five years in Italy.  One year in US.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

dazztardly

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2022, 09:23:44 PM »

Temptation (New Sale) did poorly in America and lasted 1 season while the Australian revival lasted 4 seasons.

The US Temptation was a dud for sure. I do wonder what the outcome would have been, if they had just stuck with the original Australian format.

-Dan

geno57

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2022, 10:42:42 PM »
The ones that come to my mind, have already been mentioned … Call My Bluff and Blockbusters. Both huge in the U.K. … the former a flop in the U.S., the latter only moderately successful here.

I’d love to see Blockbusters rebooted as a high school and/or college show here. I think it might catch on with the kids.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2022, 12:59:11 PM »
A couple hits in Italy:

Identity lasted 12 episodes on NBC, in Italy it's now in its 11th season;

and if you look at non-US formats, Argentinian format  El Legado lasted one season in its home country (plus a "kids" edition), in Italy it's the longest running gameshow, in it's 20th season (and episode 4774 is on while I'm writing this  ::))

BrandonFG

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2022, 01:54:51 PM »
A couple hits in Italy:

This amazes me, given how much I couldn’t stand the NBC version because it dragged so much. The game itself was clever but it took forever. Do they at least cut to the chase in Italy?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CeleTheRef

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2022, 07:31:40 PM »
A couple hits in Italy:

This amazes me, given how much I couldn’t stand the NBC version because it dragged so much. The game itself was clever but it took forever. Do they at least cut to the chase in Italy?

Quite the contrary: in Italy games are slower in order to give viewers more time to play along.  Also consider that the average age in Italy is pretty high, so it's only good practice to give grandma that extra minute or two to think over that final puzzle before the reveal.

A good example is Chain Reaction, where contestants are instructed to answer after the buzzer.  CR has been airing every Summer for the last 15 years.

Compare an American Chain Reaction bonus round with an Italian one

-_- yawn